F190AA6B-D5B8-41D7-90F1-6D34505CE675.png
Read post #6 I'm almost positive Defiance will not cerakote because there tolerances are to tight.
For that matter I dont know of any custom action that offers it.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Just gotta know what you are doing. Nearly every rifle builder will Cerakote a custom action if the build calls for it.

Exactly, no cerakote on the raceways or bolt. Why not nitride and get alot tougher and slicker. Take your fingernail and run it over cerakote and then nitride see which on scratches and which one doesnt

I am having a new rifle built with the following options -

300 Winchester Magnum
McMillan Game Hunter - Olive with Black Speckletone
Deviant Hunter - LA
Proof Research Carbon Barrel - 26" Sendero
Jewell Trigger - 2.5lbs
Bottom Metal - OEM Remington BDL

My question is more cosmetic than anything. I am building this rifle with learning long range shooting in mind, but also as my all round hunting rifle at the same time.

Question - I ordered my Defiant Hunter and it came in polished metal. Do you guys think this metal will effect my hunting experience? (e.g. light reflection) I originally told my gunsmith I would like it to be bead blasted (all except the inner bolt) and the ends of the carbon barrel to match. Do you think this rifle will look good, does someone have something to show that's similar? Since their probably different metals do you think the barrel and action will blend together nicely for cosmetic purposes?

Thanks guys. Let me know.

It will probably look great with the polished stainless but I'm not fan of having shiny things in the field.

If all your hunting is from a box blind it won't make any difference but if you're going to be carrying it on walk and stalk type hunts I'd either have it bead blasted or cerakoted or nitrided.

I have 2 (soon to be 3) Defiance actions that are cerakoted. Use a reputable gunsmith, and use the "Elite" line of cerakote that is supposed to be thinner. I used the "Elite Smoke" on mine and they did the whole bolt and inside of the action because I wanted the protection. All I needed to do is grease it well and shoot it. After a couple of range sessions the actions are worn in and slick and smooth.

Was the barrel on the table in this discussion?

300 Winchester Magnum
McMillan Game Hunter - Olive with Black Speckletone
Deviant Hunter - LA
Proof Research Carbon Barrel - 26" Sendero
Jewell Trigger - 2.5lbs
Bottom Metal - OEM Remington BDL

Question - I ordered my Defiant Hunter and it came in polished metal. Do you guys think this metal will effect my hunting experience? (e.g. light reflection) I originally told my gunsmith I would like it to be bead blasted (all except the inner bolt) and the ends of the carbon barrel to match. Do you think this rifle will look good, does someone have something to show that's similar? Since their probably different metals do you think the barrel and action will blend together nicely.UOTE]

Barrel is referenced.

I took it as he wanted his action and the silver parts of the barrel bead blasted or coated.

I agree with you. The comment stems from the"get it nitrided" suggestions. I'm not sure how you nitride a CF barrel unless that is done before the barrel is wrapped.

I agree with you. The comment stems from the"get it nitrided" suggestions. I'm not sure how you nitride a CF barrel unless that is done before the barrel is wrapped.
One of those was mine, lol, I do believe most of us were talking about the action, the barrel sleeves can be coated to match.
It would be fun to read or hear about someone nitriding a carbon barrel though, comments would be epic.

My defiance receiver is cerakoted tan and the bolt is nitrided. It was done by GAP. It's one of their custom guns. For reference of cerakote options. Defiance it left, tikka right cerakoted matte black. The tikka bolt is not painted due to bolt tolerance worries.

A4394A7E-D28C-4866-BA27-2CECB2146E65.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I emailed H@M processing about nitriding my Rem. 700 action they will do it. 250.00 for a lot.
If you've ever ran nitrided bolts and actions vrs cerakote I will do the nitride every time, slicker and tougher.
Only draw back is you only get black.
I've got some cerakoted barrels and there scratched up and I've seen cerakoted bolts that have wear streaks on them.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.