New rifle...... Flinching

You must have missed the part where I said 'lots'.

I like light rifles, and I don't like brakes... So I get beat up sometimes. I could go on, but I think Darrel Holland said it best in the article linked below.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but your contribution above reads like you may have confused your 'opinion' with 'fact'!

I don't have a week to read the article....I have 59 years experience! A flinch is a flinch! Its your psychological disadvantage to deal with! A thousand replies here and a million articles won't change YOU! Take a buddy along.... have HIM load or not load your weapon....pull the trigger big boy....only way! If you flinch on empty....buy a .22 and start OVER!

That's sad to hear. A lot of friendly fire accidents in nam and after . Felusha comes to my mind. A lot of Wy. Boys killed in iraqe and I know in Afghanistan . We just repaired and replaced the Vietnam war memorial Cody. There were more Boys per capita killed from ,Wy. In Nam. An artillery group the 350 something I forget group had most kills in Korean War. I have to lower and raise flags at memorial . It always overwhelms me how many Wy. Boys have lost their lives in our wars . I see their photos on bill board in Walmart. It humbles me to see such young men loose their lives. In defense of our country. God bless all my brothers alive or in a better place .

Last edited:
I don't have a week to read the article....I have 59 years experience! A flinch is a flinch! Its your psychological disadvantage to deal with! A thousand replies here and a million articles won't change YOU! Take a buddy along.... have HIM load or not load your weapon....pull the trigger big boy....only way! If you flinch on empty....buy a .22 and start OVER!
That's a little hard, don't you think? Your are right on taking a buddy along to help.

I used them too or the yellow foamies, but I also used a headset over them. That was the standard-issue item for PPE, but most only wear one or the other. I used both from 1986-1996 while working flightline aircraft maintenance and still wear them today.
We only had the orange flange while working on Mech. Inf. Or both I my but headsets while running tacked vehicles.

I still used foamies when using comm headsets.
Foamies are better but the problem is much of the damaging sound can travel though the back of the ear and cause damage. At that time you operated as dictated by our commanders.

I still used foamies when using comm headsets.
But since I've left the Army I've also used foamies and headsets. It's the only way I can keep the ringing from being much worse after shooting, or being around loud noise.

Thank you for clarifying your position there.

Happy shooting

Foamies are better but the problem is much of the damaging sound can travel though the back of the ear and cause damage. At that time you operated as dictated by our commanders.
But since I've left the Army I've also used foamies and headsets. It's the only way I can keep the ringing from being much worse after shooting, or being around loud noise.
I never said foamies are better, and honestly do not know if they are. As previously noted, I am simply stating I used both that are available to me in accordance with Air Force safety directives and guidance; together, they are more effective than when only using one.

I'd build a 8.5-9 pound 7mm Remington with an 8 twist and shoot 180-190 grain bullets around 2900-3000. Actually might chop that to 20" and suppress it. Look at the numbers on high bc 7mm bullets and consider a downsize. Didn't read the 13 pages of posts, sorry if this was proposed already.

I'd build a 8.5-9 pound 7mm Remington with an 8 twist and shoot 180-190 grain bullets around 2900-3000. Actually might chop that to 20" and suppress it. Look at the numbers on high bc 7mm bullets and consider a downsize. Didn't read the 13 pages of posts, sorry if this was proposed already.
From the OP in #123 ...

Definitely not a 7mm fan. Really hoping to get this worked out. Got a lotta good info from these guys to try. I wont hunt with it unless it's accurate. Dreaming of big energy accurately. Period. Should be achievable. Thanks for the info.