New rifle...... Flinching

Hearing protectors is a must at the range. I hadn't had time or didn't think about ear plugs when hunting. That's life. They do make hearing aid that cut out the bad noses, but you are able to hear. I believe that Walker make hearing protection and allows for hearing in normal tones. Dry fire should help. You have to overcome the problem, but friends can help.

So I have been shooting practically my whole life. I consider myself a pretty fair shot. Last year I decided I wanna shoot farther. I'm hunting elk and I had been shooting 500 yards. Now I wanna shoot out to 1000 yards. Sounds simple right...??? Well I've got a huge education. Lol. So last year I started shooting with a good buddy who has been shooting long range for a while and he gets me hitting at 1000 pretty consistent. I was shooting a 300 RUM with 180 grain barnes bullets. After doing some research I see I'm shooting 775 ft lbs at 1000. I wanna be at least 1000 ft lbs. So I buy some 190 grain barnes LR bullets that's supposed to get me over the 1000 ft lbs. Problem is I haven't got a muzzle brake, so 180 grains have little recoil but 190's kick like a mule! I decided to buy a new rifle with a brake. I ordered a Weatherby 338-378. Sweet rifle! Now the problem is I am flinching BAD! The gun doesn't kick that bad, I think it's the brake messing with me. I never owned a gun with a brake before and it's different. With the price and availability of ammo I'm not sure what to do to quit wasting it. I can't even see what powder charge shoots best cause I can't shoot a group. Definitely not the gun it's just I'm a head case behind it. I'm not afraid of it, I'm just not sure why I'm doing it. Anyone have any ideas or pointers to help me out? Anything is much appreciated.
You should start shooting a smaller caliber and work out the flinch if it
It psychological Fire a good deal
Of say 243 then move to a 7 and then a 30. Then shoot light bullets from the weatherby until you get up to what you want. Exercise and repetition.

My hearing damage came from M1 Abrams, Bradley, SAW, and pistol training. I can't even hit a nail with a hammer without wearing hearing protection. I forgot artillery.
Both my cousins were in M1 Abrams in Desert Storm. One of was outside the tank taking a wizz and his crew fired the 120 mm cannon . It knocked him flat and lost hearing in one ear permently , other some loss. I don't remember for sure but I thought he said it knocked him out also ? My other cousin told me one night they picked up a tank with night vision or infrared. You send a laser signal and other tank or Bradley sends one back. If not it's an Iraqi T70 or whatever. No laser back. Boom. Dead tank and occupants . It was an allied French tank . There was more collateral kills in that short war than by the Iraqi's. Very sad.

Hearing protectors is a must at the range. I hadn't had time or didn't think about ear plugs when hunting. That's life. They do make hearing aid that cut out the bad noses, but you are able to hear. I believe that Walker make hearing protection and allows for hearing in normal tones. Dry fire should help. You have to overcome the problem, but friends can help.
I have and use Walkers Ears hearing aid/hearing protection and they work well. But I must admit I do not wear hearing protection when hunting. 🤫
I feel so much better now that I got that off my chest 😌.

Both my cousins were in M1 Abrams in Desert Storm. One of was outside the tank taking a wizz and his crew fired the 120 mm cannon . It knocked him flat and lost hearing in one ear permently , other some loss. I don't remember for sure but I thought he said it knocked him out also ? My other cousin told me one night they picked up a tank with night vision or infrared. You send a laser signal and other tank or Bradley sends one back. If not it's an Iraqi T70 or whatever. No laser back. Boom. Dead tank and occupants . It was an allied French tank . There was more collateral kills in that short war than by the Iraqi's. Very sad.
PM sent.

I have and use Walkers Ears hearing aid/hearing protection and they work well. But I must admit I do not wear hearing protection when hunting. 🤫
I feel so much better now that I got that off my chest 😌.
Lol ! I'm in same boat . I bought walker ear buds to wear hunting last year and didn't wear them. My hearing is toast. I wear hearing aides. One time I shot my 300 RUM with them in. I has a brake. I thought I scrambled my brain .

I know way too many peeps that claim bad hearing loss but never took any safety measures to prevent them because Uncle Sam is supposed to take care of them. I am thankful I did and would rather have good hearing than a disability percentage. I also know people that work in civilian jobs in high noise areas that never wear PPEs, and now their hearing is bad. Individuals have the ultimate responsibility for their actions and the consequences associated with them.

I used the issued orange flange earplugs. 1987-1990. Jan 1991- April 1991.
I used them too or the yellow foamies, but I also used a headset over them. That was the standard-issue item for PPE, but most only wear one or the other. I used both from 1986-1996 while working flightline aircraft maintenance and still wear them today.

I understand the muzzle blast from tank cannon. In Vietnam at a fire support base, we were getting hit that night. So we were on the perimeter with our rifles giving supporting fire. A Sheridan Tank was setting up to fire their main gun. It's a 152mm cannon. (I believe the velocity is much faster in 120mm cannon, than the 152mm gun, which would I believe it would create greater damage to your ears). We were next to it. We pulled back so he fire. They couldn't get it to fire. We moved up again to put supporting fire. This went on three time or so. Anyway we would move up each time to put supporting fire. So they did get the cannon to fire, but we were even with the muzzle. I throw my rifle up in the air, and at the same time watch the man next to be do a complete 360 flit from being flat footed. He hit the ground. Me being a medic attended to him. He was bleeding from both ears. There was several minutes before I could hear. I grab him and took him to the Aid Station on the fire support base. Why the same thing didn't happen to me I don't know. My ear ring from that time on. About a month or so later I was on the left side of an APC when we hit a 40lbs land mine on the left side. Getting a heavy blast from the land mine, again and I couldn't hear for awhile. My hearing came back, but the ringing increased.
The funnest thing was, my hearing tests going into the Army was perfect, and after I got out. I went to the VA complaining about the ringing in my ears. They tested me and yes I had a hearing lost. The best part of this was the VA stated that the hearing lost wasn't service connected. I wonder where the hell I was at for the almost 2 years while in the Army. I guess I was home vacationing. Being in Vietnam must of have been a bad dream. Must of gotten The Purple Heart I received for a different time must of been, for falling out of bed at home Ha!Ha!. That never set with me very good. Finally a great many year later, the VA agreed I did have a hearing lost and service connected. That was the VA for the Vietnam Vets.
Friendly fire is what we called it. We had about 77 or so KIA's in about 7 months there. 14 were friendly fire kills that I know of. The balance of the year I didn't learn how many were killed. I never figure out why it was called friendly fire. The first two men killed in my platoon were killed by friendly fire withing 3 days. Made you get eyes in the back of your head. In fact the first four man in the two fire fights were friendly fire kills. (NVA/VC None!) They were the only one's that die, in 3 days. Wounded that is another story.

Recent Posts