New rifle...... Flinching

I shoot a RUM with a break and it was the cure for my flinching.
Shooting a big gun without a break will definitely teach you bad habits!
Like everyone else said - dry fire and small calibers while working on fundamentals will solve it.
Like I was told "If you can't see the impact of your round you cannot shoot long range consistently!"
When we shoot the big guns with breaks EVERYONE wears plugs AND muffs - Double up!
I always wear ear protection. But never doubled up. I'll try it. Thanks

Blast from a big brake messes with me, for sure.

Lots of guys on love their brakes, which is fine, but I don't know many who can look through a report and not blink.

Lots of dry fire practice is the only remedy I know....
Dry firing won't help a flinch ever! As long as one knows there is no round in the chamber why would you ever flinch...it's anticipation of recoil that produces flinching.....mind over matter or OP.....drop to a realistic weapon you can handle and build up to those you can't...if you ever can!

Lunacy.

Any flinch, even a small one, will be 100 times worse than any small gain you're hoping to get in a down-range energy. Some people can reliably put lethal hits on elk-size vital zones at 1000 yards. Most people can't. NOBODY can if they flinch. Chose a different gun, limit your shots to 800 yards, get a suppressor (absolute magic in my book), or pick something in the 6.5 to 7mm class. I personally hate muzzle brakes and the blast bothers me as much or more than the shove/kick. You can overcome a flinch in a hard-hitting rifle, but it's difficult and it takes TONS of commitment and dedication. Far easier to chose something you enjoy shooting.
Ok. Thanks

+1 double hearing protection. I m old school/guy, if I get the Hebie Jeebies from my rifle/cartridge then I believe a smaller cartridge that you re comfortable with is the solution. As Lance mentioned there's lots of cartridges that will get efficiently to 1000 yards. Use a high BC bullet and you ll be shocked at the retained energy!!

Good luck👍
Thanks

Muzzlebrakes are horrible, the concussion alone can give you headache after multiple shots. None of my guns have one on the them, except for the 50 bmg of course. Do yourself a favor and just buy a suppressor, guaranteed your flinch will be gone. They are a dream to shoot with compared to the alternative...
That's a thought. Thanks a lot

Dry firing won't help a flinch ever! As long as one knows there is no round in the chamber why would you ever flinch...it's anticipation of recoil that produces flinching.....mind over matter or OP.....drop to a realistic weapon you can handle and build up to those you can't...if you ever can!
Ok. Thanks

I agree, dry fire {lots}. It creates muscle memory and familiarity with the trigger on the rifle you are dry firing. I also shoot my 17HMR a lot to keep my technique. I think it has purpose that dry fire alone doesn't provide which is ability to see the result down range. Any rimfire can serve this purpose. It shoots but minimal blast and no recoil. I have a 22-250 with bull barrel that is also good for this type of practice. I am old and have bad arthritis so if I shoot a lot of practice with my big boomers I turn into a wimp. :)
Lol. Ok sounds like a good idea. Thanks

My advice would be this. You can either go back to a lighter caliber and get your head straight or spend hours in dry fire exercises in order to get your shooting principles back to where you want to be. Dry fire is cheap and you can do it in your back yard. Just my thoughts.
Ok thanks a lot

The fact that you can say that with a straight face is hilarious!

I shoot a 458 Lott quite a bit and think there is no way I'm shooting a 338-378 Weatherby under 20 lbs regardless of the brake!

Try a normal round like 300 PRC or 300 WSM. Those pushing 200-210 gr bullets are legit 1000yd elk rounds.

Also, maybe your brake isn't effective enough??
The kick isn't the problem. I been shooting my gamo pellet rifle and I flinch with it now!!!