New rifle...... Flinching

56 lbs. ? 😳
Yes-I guess there are drawbacks to most everything. It was fun to shoot long range and you could watch your hit. But it was no fun carrying to the bench. Stock was a H50 McMillan. Gunsmith showed me his and so I ordered mine also with optional lead filled. Stock weighed 34lbs and barreled action weighed 22lbs.(2" barrel with 2" Bat action.) Will not do that again lol

When practicing at the range double up on ear protection. Especially when doing load development, time behind the rifle and getting used to the blast off the brake will help as well. Its not natural for anything to not jump from that sort of concussion and noise so don't beat yourself up about it. I went through the same thing when I got a new 30 Nosler last year with a terminator brake. It took some getting used to and doubling up on ear pro was probably the easiest fix.
Good to hear. Thanks a lot

Man, since I got my suppressor I've noticed I shoot much better. Most of my rifles always had brakes on them and I always wore ear pro. But now if I have to shoot a rifle without the suppressor I've found DOUBLE ear pro is AWESOME. Plugs and a great set of muffs is a game changer.

I've been working on loading for a friends rifle which is super lightweight and has a radial brake, doesn't do a ton for recoil but it's LOUD. I shot a couple groups with only single ear pro, then grabbed a set of plugs and doubled up. I was much more comfortable Behind the rifle doubled up. Try it might help
Cool. Good info,I'll try it.

The blast off of the muzzle brake can really mess with some people. The way I got my brother in law used to it was to put a really aggressive brake on a 308 I had. After about 300 rnds he didn't notice the concussive blast.
Wow. Ok thanks for the info

I bought a Fierce rifle and there ports are slanted forward away from the shooter a side eject for the blast keeps it in your proximity . Might be an idea. Another suggested a different brake.
Yeah may have to. Thanks

Won't work. I've tried it. I don't flinch but I blink when the shot goes off. Only time I've ever seen the shot hit was with my Cadex 338 Lapua at 800m and only because my blink was faster than normal. I have a brake that makes recoil feel somewhere between 6.5cm (with brake) and 270win ( with brake). Regarding loudness, I don't know because I always wear hearing protection at the range.
Ok. Thanks

We shoot 338-378 with 300 gr smk at 1000 at 2870 fps. 112.4 to 113 gr Rl33. Virgin brass.
Gen 3 lil fat bast*d brake, 1st 6 holes open. Slip on gel pad on stock from amazon.

33db muffs. Firm hold on stock - pull butt into your shoulder.

6" groups at 1000 are possible.

Doubt you get there without bedding.
That's very similar load I'm doing. I'll try a gel pad and better ear protection. May have to buy another brake. Thanks for the info

I used to flinch and have made a lot of effort to stop, Like Critter said, have someone load a fired case in with the mix to make you aware of it. Doubling the ear pro helps, dry firing helps tons. I shoot a .204 Ruger and 7mm Rem mag. I like to start with the .204 then switch to the 7mm it takes the edge off from expecting the recoil. Having a good fitted stock helps. Keep your scope as far from your face as you can (depending on eye relief) relax and squeeze the trigger like you have no idea when its going to fire. DONT drink COFFEE or energy drinks before shooting... i wasted a trip to the range one day because of that. everytime my heart would beat i would shake the gun.

I don't flinch but still close my eyes when I fire. I havent figured out how to stop that.... been thinging about drinking a single beer to relax me before I shoot. (only at my personal range)
Ok. Good info. Thanks

the blast from a muzzle break can be a problem as I hate to sit next to someone that has a big boomer and is using one of the 90 degree angled ones. In addition to plugs and muffs which I always wear at the range, I sometimes will stuff a little cotton ball up each nostril which seems to minimizes some of muzzle bast.
Wow. sounds crazy. Lol. Worth a try. Thanks

I know that it's expensive & frustrating but I've seen this several times. Lots of good advice here, especially blocking the volume of the blast all that you can. Some have said to shoot smaller caliber rifles. My suggestion is to take multiple smaller rifles on range day & keep swapping them all out. IF you have the recoil tamed then it is psychological - but that can be a bear to tame, (no matter how tough or macho the shooter). Good luck. You'll do it. (That IS a lot of rifle!)
Lol. Ok thanks a lot!

Agreed. I know what those cartridges cost (i shoot a 340 wtby) but going back to basics and practicing are the only sure-fire tricks i know of— but i bet you already know that.
Sometimes we overthink whats obvious. Thanks