new rifle crazy 200yrd groups

Ok so this is my first post here and I hope to not seam like a moron. Well I just put together a Remington 700 long range 300 winmag with 20 moa rail night force med rings with a vortex viper 6.5-20x 50 . that being said I wanted to shoot it as I finished it last night sportsman's had a sale one the prograde 300win mag match grade with 210 berger vld tagets. So get all set up shoot it at 100 and it groups amazing 3rd shot sighting it in punches the center and the following four all touch it. So natrually I'm excited it all works. Then I went to 200 my group looked like I traced the outside edge of a pie plate.sugestions.? I will be building a load for it of course but is this what I should expect from berger vld? Should I go back to my tried and true accubonds? Any idea what's happening?

Factory ammunition.... Happen to check the bullet runout per chance and we all know the COAL is SAMMI spec and that is obviously not what your piece likes.

Build some loads and make it happy.

Didn't spec them out but I deffinetly will start building my load tomorrow . heard these vlds can have weird stabilization patterns. And these deffinetly were not liked by my rifle after firing almost every case hung up in the chamber.

I'm a Walt Berger fan and I handload VLD's using the Berger method (as outlined in their reloading manua) which entails loading longer than SAMMI spec. How much longer will depend on your particular rifle

Some like 'em longer than others. Magazine length can limit your jump however.

Good luckl and be persistent and consistent.

Bergers are known to NOT group at 100 but then stabilize and GROUP well at 200-300. I've never heard of the opposite happening. Something isn't right....

Adam32 ya I'm super confused on what is happening. Everything is torqued to spec my idea is that this rifle doesn't like the jump these bullets are making and it isn't exaggerated until 200 where is shows

Is the Rifle a new rifle right out of the box? Was the rifle cleaned before you shot the 200 yd. group? If it is a new rifle with factory barrel the barrel may be loading up with jacket material. I have seen guns load up with jacket material in 3 to 5 shots, and start opening groups. That may be your starting point. Good Luck in finding the cause.

Sage, try member Broz' loads he posted for 210 and 215 Bergers. His loads are raved about here for their accuracy.

Tune the VLDs to your rifle and you will not have any problems. Remember VLDs in most cases like to be touching or close to the lands. Hybrids .030 -.040 ballpark away from the lands.

H1000 and the Bergers are a great combination for the 300 WM.

K I will do some reading the only thing I can really think of is maybe the rings aren't torqued tight enough. The scope says no more than 18 but the night force rings say 25/max .

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts