New rifle choice...

I'm a big fan of howa and vanguard actions. I think for a factory action they are the best. I wish they had a 16 inch thread pitch. I've never had one that shot bad and most were very accurate. Need new triggers on the older ones. I just put a 7 mag in Boyd's thumbhole. Glass bedded it. Loaded up berger 180 hunting vld over 69.5 of H-1000 and it's under an inch at 300 yards. Shep

Hence me saying you "may want". I do not know how good or bad the OP's eyes are. I was merely pointing out the magnification range just in case. Nowhere in my statement did I say more magnification was needed.
Ok, thanks for your elaboration. So I'll do the same but flip the script and say he "may not want", since we don't know the OP's ability to perceive with eyes.

Sorry, forgot to put smileys in there.

Last edited:
A nearly identical option for less money is the Weatherby Vanguard First Light model and add your favorite scope. 7.5 lbs, fluted barrel with accu-break which makes the length 28" to maximize that 300 win capability, for around $800. In case you didn't know, the Vanguard is a Howa 1500
Does the first lite have an HS precision stock?

Thanks gentleman...been a busy week and just getting back to this. I live in western Montana and talking to guys around here they say most of their shots have been under 500yds, with most under 250. I've rung steel at a 1000, but can't say I'd be confident shooting game that far. A friend originally turned me on to the Remington, but after he suggested it, his brother bought one and said it is not a shooter. We all know there can be lemons in anything. I think I'm going for the Howa; given my experience with them, trigger's adjustable, stock is nice, scope's a dandy...and all in one package. Thanks for your feedback! I read more than I post here, but what a great forum.

Trigger pull, trigger pull, trigger pull. Which one has a better trigger out of the box? Need decent for hunting confidence. Or, if you like one over the other and the trigger is as poor as the Howa's of 15 years ago then plan an extra $125 for an after market trigger.

This will be my first season to go elk hunting and I got my inspiration to give Elk hunting a try from following Randy Newberg's social media and Youtube content. When I decided to upgrade my pronghorn rifle for this season's Elk hunt I ended up ordering the Randy Newberg Howa rifle package in the .300 Win Mag. I struggled between the Bergara Approach rifle and the Newberg rifle but what swayed me was the good things I heard from friends about their Howa's accuracy and Newberg pointing out the value contained in this Howa package. I hate to sound like a fan boy here but I had to start somewhere and Randy Newberg does a great job explaining things like this to us newbies :)

Last year I bought a 6.5 CM Browning X-Bolt Pro (bronze Cerakote) and this light mountain rifle will shoot Hornady 140 gr. ELD-M ammo into 1/2" to 3/4" holes all day long IF you let it cool 10 minutes between 5 round strings. (The barrel is skinny and fluted.) ELD-X shoots about as well also.

Beautiful rifle that was many custom features not found in other Browning X-Bolts, such as a factory lapped barrel and fluted bolt and bolt handle. Great trigger too.

Eric B.

Good choice. I have a couple Howa and a couple Weatherby Vanguard which is a Howa, and they all shoot. My 257 weatherby will shoot 3/4 moa or less consistently with its ammo of choice which is a hand loaded 115gr Berger HVLD. The only mod to this rifle is a timney trigger.

The new 6.5x55 shot MOA with its sight in rounds, so it will get better. The 300 weatherby shot MOA with sight in Barnes 150gr TTSX, so it will get better. Those 2 are factory except for a muzzle brake on the 300.

This is the 257 at 500 yards with a 3x9 Redfield scope.

Attachments

• 20151105_101649.jpg
    20151105_101649.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 132
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.