New rifle choice...

rafterP

Looking at a new elk rifle; either Howa 1500 Randy Newberg Signature Rifle, or Remington AWR. I realize this may be a "Ford vs Chevy" kind of question, but I was looking to see if anyone has any experience with either of these two new rifles. I'm looking at it in .300 win mag. Howa package does have a Leupold Scope, but not sure how good that one is...I do like the CDS feature. I have a Howa 1500 in .25-06 (although my son's kind of claimed that one!) and it's dang sure a shooter.

I have never seen a factory Howa shoot bad, but can't say the the same for the Big Green except their 5R series. With factory rifles, it can be a roll of the dice. Good luck.

Which rifle fits you better and your use? What leupold scope is on it? Sometimes stores will make there own packages up with different scopes.

How picky are you about things like triggers, stocks, and aftermarket options?
What are your accuracy goals?

Most guns will shoot 1 MOA~ish. Out of the box, I'd take the howa. But there's a bigger upside with the 700, as in aftermarket parts.
My howa 308 shoots a constant .5-.75" groups all day long and the gun was affordable.
My 700 300 wm sendero shoots sub .5 moa with handloads, but has a jewel trigger and a host of mods(including a wyatt's box extender, which makes a big deal when shooting 215 bergers).
The deciding factor may be how they fit you. 700 stocks are always too short for me.

Like listening to Randy, but would never shoot the E-tip bullet after watching the sheep hunt in Alaska.

Wow these are two good options for a good hunting rifle. The Howa has an hs precision stock made with carbon fiber/fiberglass leupold v3i scope and comes with a muzzle break sounded like. Now the Remington is a grayboe stock, they both have stainless barrels cerakoted. Man this would be a hard choose.

First off, what distances are you planning on shouting while elk hunting? The scope on the howa is good I'm not knocking it but if you plan on stretching the rifles legs you may want something with more magnification than a 3.5-10 power.

Last edited:
if you plan on stretching the rifles legs you may want something with not more magnification than a 3.5-10 power.
Am I reading into this wrong and it was meant to say "a lot more" instead of "not more"? If a lot more is needed was your intended meaning then I will disagree, i mostly hunt elk with a 3.5-10 power scope and it is plenty. Last year I had elk at about 80 and were easy to engage at lower power and had elk at 900 and it would have been no problem picking a good aim point and getting a shot in. They are some big critters. If it were deer I may agree, maybe... depending on glass quality and reticle choice.

Looking at a new elk rifle; either Howa 1500 Randy Newberg Signature Rifle, or Remington AWR. I realize this may be a "Ford vs Chevy" kind of question, but I was looking to see if anyone has any experience with either of these two new rifles. I'm looking at it in .300 win mag. Howa package does have a Leupold Scope, but not sure how good that one is...I do like the CDS feature. I have a Howa 1500 in .25-06 (although my son's kind of claimed that one!) and it's dang sure a shooter.

I was just looking at that howa yesterday - i think you get a lot of bang for your buck with that set up and its turnkey. Has a great stock and scope, I think its the vx3i. That is what I would do.

Last edited:
I have shot steel out to 1200 yards with a 2-10 night force nxs. The higher power was nice on the other scopes but I think to 1000 that scope was enough specially for your typical hunting ranges.

Am I reading into this wrong and it was meant to say "a lot more" instead of "not more"? If a lot more is needed was your intended meaning then I will disagree, i mostly hunt elk with a 3.5-10 power scope and it is plenty. Last year I had elk at about 80 and were easy to engage at lower power and had elk at 900 and it would have been no problem picking a good aim point and getting a shot in. They are some big critters. If it were deer I may agree, maybe... depending on glass quality and reticle choice.

Hence me saying you "may want". I do not know how good or bad the OP's eyes are. I was merely pointing out the magnification range just in case. Nowhere in my statement did I say more magnification was needed.

RafterP I have a sweet VX3i LR 4.5-14x40 with M1 turrets on it. PM if you are interested in a good deal

A nearly identical option for less money is the Weatherby Vanguard First Light model and add your favorite scope. 7.5 lbs, fluted barrel with accu-break which makes the length 28" to maximize that 300 win capability, for around $800. In case you didn't know, the Vanguard is a Howa 1500

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts