new rifle/caliber

Nickwild

I want to upgrade to a better made gun and possibly larger caliber.

right now I have rugers American in a mag pull hunter stock in 6.5cm. while I can't really complain, I want something made with higher tolerances and better components/parts. I've grown fond of 6.5cm but understand that I would be desirable to upsize. been thinking along the lines of 308 or one of the 7mm cartridges. ive also thought of staying within the .264 family and going to the slightly larger 6.5 PRC. and yes I would be RELOADING. not in a position to buy multiple guns so just one good one would suffice. I hunt part of the year and shoot the rest. mostly hunt coyote and deer, would like to get into elk.

I've been eyeing several guns online at. decent price... namely savage 110 ultralite, Springfield waypoint, multiple Bergara's and savages straight pull, but I have my reservations about it

any thoughts/advice would be welcome, cheers!

I want to upgrade to a better made gun and possibly larger caliber.

right now I have rugers American in a mag pull hunter stock in 6.5cm. while I can't really complain, I want something made with higher tolerances and better components/parts. I've grown fond of 6.5cm but understand that I would be desirable to upsize. been thinking along the lines of 308 or one of the 7mm cartridges. ive also thought of staying within the .264 family and going to the slightly larger 6.5 PRC. and yes I would be RELOADING. not in a position to buy multiple guns so just one good one would suffice. I hunt part of the year and shoot the rest. mostly hunt coyote and deer, would like to get into elk.

I've been eyeing several guns online at. decent price... namely savage 110 ultralite, Springfield waypoint, multiple Bergara's and savages straight pull, but I have my reservations about it

any thoughts/advice would be welcome, cheers!
Search is your friend. Everyone you mentioned has been covered in detail many times on a lot of threads.

Whoa….focus. Tikka, Weatherby, Browning, Win 70 classic, Ruger Hawkeye 77 MKii, Bergara, Christianson (maybe), Kimber (moa guarantee, not cheap ones)….all are decent rifles. Savage is a bit too much risk, imo. Springfield…not enough good feedback for price.

Once you say "elk", I think 270 Win, 6.8 Western, 270 WSM, 280 AI, 7 SAUM, 7 Rem Mag, 308 Win, any Sherman!

Hit the easy button and get a Tikka and stick with 6.5 creedmoor. Shoot a good bullet and you'll have no problem with elk, if you do your part.

I thought Kirby Allen was doing something with the ruger Americans action? I could be completely wrong but that action is starting to get enough options you could build off it.🤷🏻‍♂️ so many ways you could go it's endless. Mostly depends on what you can justify to whomever dictates financial matters.

Depending on where you live or plan to hunt, 6.5 may not be be elk legal. Many states implement a 27 caliber minimum so I would start at 270 Win if you're concerned about recoil or a 6.8 western at a minimum (though it limits rifle choices). Other reasonable choices are 7 PRC, 7 Rem Mag, 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 300 PRC, etc. I would personally maybe focus on maybe a magnum in 7mm or 30 caliber if you're going to keep your 6.5 CM as you could still use it for smaller game and have a dedicated elk rifle.

Hunting (unlike target) is all about application.
Elk? Widely accepted "rule of thumb" is minimum 1500 ft/lbs energy. So what's the maximum range you intend to engage, based on both your abilities and environment you're hunting in? 600- 800 or more yards- probably magnum territory. Simple enough based on that range to narrow down the most appropriate caliber choices.

After that's nailed down, then it's about the weight. How critical is weight? Many want ultra-lights with carbon fiber barrels- which is fine, but there's no free rides when it comes to magnums and weight. Brakes and suppressors help, but some shooters have problems driving a lightweight magnum accurately. A lot of variables go into this, and what works for someone else, where they hunt- may be totally irrelevant for your application.

Build your own, you can get multiple rifles with one stock and scope, you can order a Terminus Zeus Quick Change feature. This would allow you to run multiple cartridges in one rifle. You could build a Long Action in 6.5PRC use a Hawkins M5 Hunter DBM, install a 6.5 PRC kit in a LA Hunter magazine, you can order a pre-fit barrel and screw it on without any action wrenches or barrel vise. If you want to hunt Whitetails you can use the 6.5 PRC, if you want to go hunt Moose, Elk, Bear, order another barrel in 300 PRC and screw it on and you are up and running. Don't have to worry about ordering another scope, stock trigger etc. One gun with multiple cartridges.

I'll agree to disagree with some of the options mentioned. ;)

Savage is rough out of the box. But they are usually known good shooters.

From the reviews i've seen, the Waypoint leaves much to be desired, especially at the price point.

Tikka is going to give you the slickest action. And the aftermarket parts are really starting to ramp up for them.

Cartridge wise.
The standard 7mm-08 is good for elk out to 400 yards. Ditto the 308.
Easy to load. Readily found components. And won't kill you shoulder like a magnum will on a day at the range.

I would choose something in the .277 flavor or larger. I like a .284 more than a .277 for the bullet selection. 7 PRC might be a good choice.

I agree that a savage isn't the best action, but they are usually known to be a good shooter. I've never owned a savage that didn't shoot well. I would personally look at a Tikka or Bergara. Good quality for the price.

Recent Posts