New rifle caliber

I highly recommend this "advice" be completely ignored as all experienced hunters on this form will know. Beware, there are scores of world wide, expert hunters with decades of experience sitting in their parents basement wearing Spiderman Jammies pumping out this type of tripe by the outhouse load!
It's hard to know how to respond to such a cynical post. I guess I'm not one of the "experienced hunters on this for(u)m" since I seem to find something useful in almost every string on this forum. After hunting for almost 5 decades and reloading for most of that time, I still like to think I can learn from others with more, or just better experience. Sure, you have to sift through some of the garbage, but I think when someone such as the OP asks for input, people should offer it and let them sort it out. If they chose to "completely ignore" all of it, that's their prerogative. Just my $.02.

It's hard to know how to respond to such a cynical post. I guess I'm not one of the "experienced hunters on this for(u)m" since I seem to find something useful in almost every string on this forum. After hunting for almost 5 decades and reloading for most of that time, I still like to think I can learn from others with more, or just better experience. Sure, you have to sift through some of the garbage, but I think when someone such as the OP asks for input, people should offer it and let them sort it out. If they chose to "completely ignore" all of it, that's their prerogative. Just my $.02.

It's a joke. Holy seriousness Batman.

Last edited:
To the OP. I live in Colorado, was born and raised here. All of my current hunting buddies hunt with 308 and 30-06. I've used a 270 until recently. I have a fondness for the 270 and heavy bullets so I'm going full custom lightweight 270WSM with a fast twist. The 6.8 Western is a good non handloaded option in that category.

If you're a hunter any caliber in the '06 class will do well. Get close enough to kill what you're after. Except for antelope my longest shot has been 250 yards.

My answer to you is study the options. Decide what you think you want. Find a easy to shoot one. When you buy try to go as light as your budget will allow. In the mountains ounces turn into pounds.

Finally... dry fire, get accustomed to positions you'll shoot from. If you know someone that shoots PRS see if you can tag along. Get involved it'll make a better shooter out of you. Practice at whatever distances you consider shooting. After actually shooting that far your opinion may change.

Enjoy your adventure! May your hunt be successful.
(I have the option of 27 Nosler, 338RUM or even a 375 Weatherby but the 270WSM will do the job if I do mine)

The Hock

Having owned two .300 Win mag rifles in the past there are only two .30 caliber cartridges for western game I would now consider.
1.) .300 PRC
2.) .300 Norma mag

These two are nearly identical in performance but the .300 PRC gets my vote due to its better ability to handle longer (heavier) bullets without dangerous powder compression. That is why it was designed with a longer neck.

BTW, if you think you need the.300 RUM just get a .338 of some kind because it won't punish you any more than the .300 RUM and be a better elk cartridge for longer shots.

Having owned two .300 Win mag rifles in the past there are only two .30 caliber cartridges for western game I would now consider.
1.) .300 PRC
2.) .300 Norma mag

These two are nearly identical in performance but the .300 PRC gets my vote due to its better ability to handle longer (heavier) bullets without dangerous powder compression. That is why it was designed with a longer neck.

BTW, if you think you need the.300 RUM just get a .338 of some kind because it won't punish you any more than the .300 RUM and be a better elk cartridge for longer shots.

the 300 NM was designed to seat long heavy high bc bullets to the base of the neck with just the boat tail below.... and still fit in 3.850" detachable magazines, the 300 NM case is shorter than the 300 PRC & has more capacity ..... so please explain to me what "dangerous powder compression" means in the 300 Norma Mag ?

you'll get that with the 300 PRC by trying to get to 300 NM velocities simply because it lacks the capacity and you'll be forced into max compressed powder charges .... but it still will never be the equal of the 300 NM, the 300 PRC is nothing more than an overglorified beltless 300 Win Mag with a longer throat ..... not a bad thing ... BUT certainly not the be all, end all of 30 caliber cartridges .....,

that spot is reserved for the King .... 300 RUM ....., ha

I live on the east coast but plan on headed out west (Colorado) to some land my uncle just bought and some outfitters land that I'm good friends with. I need a rifle that is pretty versatile. One that I can shoot muleys, elk, sheep, antelope but at the same time wouldn't be too much overkill for white tail over here in SC. I'm a big 30 cal fan, my shots would be limited to around 800ish yards but I plan on working on my skills so that I can be lethal at 1000, any thoughts?
What's your current skill set?
How far are shooting now?
Do you reload?
Do you have the other tools to properly be shooting that type of distance.

Be honest with yourself and get a rifle you can shoot accurately. I hope your not the type of guy I see every year at the range that just built his long range super sniper system to hunt 1000yards and has lots of kills only to see a target as they leave that is two or more moa.

Good Googly-Moogly! Not surprised to see so many recommendations for 30-cal. magnums, and the like. Am quite surprised that not one recommendation was offered for the 270 Winchester! Given the modest parameters, the 270 will do everything required, in a light or standard weight package, without a brake, and without breaking the bank. Plus, a good selection of ammo can be found on the shelf of most any retailer, for a modest price. Some thought can be given as to bullet weight, so as to tailor a load for a given species...on the heavier end preferred for Elk. Or, had antelope not been entered into the equation, I might offer a straight .30-06, as has already been suggested. Either one would be a successful, go-anywhere, do-anything choice.
No way not for 800yard plus elk hunting. Hard pass.

I live on the east coast but plan on headed out west (Colorado) to some land my uncle just bought and some outfitters land that I'm good friends with. I need a rifle that is pretty versatile. One that I can shoot muleys, elk, sheep, antelope but at the same time wouldn't be too much overkill for white tail over here in SC. I'm a big 30 cal fan, my shots would be limited to around 800ish yards but I plan on working on my skills so that I can be lethal at 1000, any thoughts?
jstreater69, sounds like you have some great opportunities in Colorado. I'll echo jpd676, the 7mm RM is a great choice for the game and range you are talking about. With good shot placement you can humanly harvest most N.A. animals, except for the "big bears". I own a couple of 7mm's and have sucessfully harvested with 1 shot kills, all of the animals you mention, at 150 yds - 500 yds. In 50+ years of hunting I have only had 1 opportunity to take a "reasonable" shot over 500yds. I passed on that shot. Harvesting an animal at 800 -1000yds requires a bit of knowledge and confidence. Both come with practice, practice, practice. Practice = shots down the barrel. Which for a 7mm RM or 300 win mag, or any of the hot magnums = short barrel life. You'll be well served if you walk before you try to run. You like the 30's, and a 30-06 has never been a mistake as a great choice. Good luck. Send pictures of your future harvest's.

Last edited:
Good ole 300 WM will do everything you need to do, and factory ammo is readily available if you don't reload.
+1....even if you are handloading, as you mentioned that your want to travel for hunts is factory ammo availible. 300WM is a little more popular than the others. Not that the others aren't factory availible, but I've always considered the ability to be able to walk in to any sporting goods store and buy ammo a big plus. If something goes wrong and for whatever reason, you have to buy ammo on hunt. I'd prefer not to have to run around to 8 stores to find ammo. Niche calibers are cool for special and specific needs and/or benefits, but you mentioned wanting it to be an all around rifle, so there's something to be said for legacy ammo availiblity.

Shoot them in the neck and there will be no meat damage. Any rifle will be fine...
Is the neck not meat!? Try a neck roast in the instant pot and you'll never look down your nose at it again. Same with shanks. Incredible eating. Shanks from my bear were also kiddos favorite. I wish they all had more, longer necks😁.