New rifle caliber

So far the front runners are 300 wm, 300 rum, and 7mm rem. Anybody have any thoughts on 300 wby? I've heard great things about weatherby rifles
Also, as a turkey hunter by heart, I understand the importance of getting close, I personally don't think right now I'd shoot over 500 yds but when I get said rifle I will practice my *** off to gain the skills to shoot 700-800 yds. I've decided 1000 yds is not necessary. Thank y'all for you're input, keep it coming.

300 WM w 215 bergers is never the wrong choice.
300 prc is basically the same. I've had both.
300 RUM does even better and can be idled at lower pressures if desired. Put a great break on any choice, or.best of all, a suppressor like the TBAC dominus.

+1....even if you are handloading, as you mentioned that your want to travel for hunts is factory ammo availible. 300WM is a little more popular than the others. Not that the others aren't factory availible, but I've always considered the ability to be able to walk in to any sporting goods store and buy ammo a big plus. If something goes wrong and for whatever reason, you have to buy ammo on hunt. I'd prefer not to have to run around to 8 stores to find ammo. Niche calibers are cool for special and specific needs and/or benefits, but you mentioned wanting it to be an all around rifle, so there's something to be said for legacy ammo availiblity.
I hear this logic a lot on this site, and don't agree. After flying to bow hunts all over the world, I never arrived without my bow and their custom arrows; all bows are specifically matched to hit with specific arrows, and no other shooter will hit exactly the same with that set-up. I did bring a back-up bow and a dozen arrows in a different bag. I also made sure that the layovers on the flights out were at least 2 hours. No problems, ever.

It's easy to pack for gun hunt is a similar way, and schedule flights to allow for airline difficulties. If I'm hunting in north america, I just drive now.

Even if you found ammo in a small town store, what's the chance it will match the ammo that your gun is sighted in for?

Just choose the caliber you want to shoot.

Last edited:
I live on the east coast but plan on headed out west (Colorado) to some land my uncle just bought and some outfitters land that I'm good friends with. I need a rifle that is pretty versatile. One that I can shoot muleys, elk, sheep, antelope but at the same time wouldn't be too much overkill for white tail over here in SC. I'm a big 30 cal fan, my shots would be limited to around 800ish yards but I plan on working on my skills so that I can be lethal at 1000, any thoughts?
300 Win Mag I'd go with the 300 because it has a whollop and leaves a big hole.

I live on the east coast but plan on headed out west (Colorado) to some land my uncle just bought and some outfitters land that I'm good friends with. I need a rifle that is pretty versatile. One that I can shoot muleys, elk, sheep, antelope but at the same time wouldn't be too much overkill for white tail over here in SC. I'm a big 30 cal fan, my shots would be limited to around 800ish yards but I plan on working on my skills so that I can be lethal at 1000, any thoughts?
PM me

So far the front runners are 300 wm, 300 rum, and 7mm rem. Anybody have any thoughts on 300 wby? I've heard great things about weatherby rifles
The 300 Bee is my favorite 30. Brass and ammo is expensive, there is a lot of free bore, the case has a belt. That said I have never had trouble getting the Bee to shoot very small groups - in any of the many different brands or customs I have shot it in. It's not picky with the powder it will work very well with, shoots very accurately in velocity nodes, and has the capacity to produce good speed with heavy bullets. I have always been impressed with Weatherby rifles as well. The guns coming out of the Wyoming facility with Trigger Tech triggers and carbon stocks and barrels are very high quality rifles IME.

Swamplord, you are correct, the .300 Norma mag does have a larger case capacity than the .300 PRC.
I had written that post at two different times and in finished it in a hurry.
I MEANT to say that the .300 Win mag and .300 PRC were nearly identical in ballistics, not the .300 Norma mag and .300 PRC.

Also, as a turkey hunter by heart, I understand the importance of getting close, I personally don't think right now I'd shoot over 500 yds but when I get said rifle I will practice my *** off to gain the skills to shoot 700-800 yds. I've decided 1000 yds is not necessary. Thank y'all for you're input, keep it coming.
I also love to turkey hunt and getting close is awesome. But dropping a bomb far away they don't what's going on is also awesome..... I also enjoy going out to the range and ringing plates at distances so far it takes the sound a few seconds to come back. Great experience. I have a range here in WV that's out to 900 yards and get to shoot when I want because of it. Awesome!!! So I shot a whitetail at 700 yards this past fall. Total confidence. Went down in it's tracks. Good rifle, good load combo, good optics and practice makes it very possible. The wind is the hardest variable to get her dun, but that's where the practice comes in. A buddy beside you as a spotter is nice also. Here's a pic (not great) of it laying on the ground looking through the scope. It's turned down a bit to get phone cam to be able to see.

Attachments

• IMG_0942.jpg
    IMG_0942.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 37
The limits of long range hunting are tested as Danner Davidson, Aaron's son takes a nice Wyoming bull with a shot distance of 1376 yards with a Gunwerks 7mm Rem Mag.