New rifle. . . caliber?

Buccaneerfan

Hey guys, I am going to buy a new rifle in the near future and need some thoughts. I am all set up for 7mm-08 right now and I love it. There isn't much recoil so I can shoot it all day long, there are lots of choices in ammunition to reload, and it is a good, consistant round all in all. My problem is that it can be hard to find a rifle with all the features I want in 7mm-08. So my question is, what caliber would you guys reccomend for long range target shooting (not deer hunting) that would have lots of choices for ammunition, would be a popular load in most models, and doesn't beat the snot out of you when you shoot it. Let me clarify by saying I don't care how flat shooting a caliber is. What I care about is how consistant the caliber is. Let me know what you guys think.

It sounds to me like want you want is a semi custom 7mm-08. If you can find the combination of features you want in one rifle then make one rifle have the combinations of features you want

If your not looking for long range killing power and just wanna shoot targets out to 1200 or so my favorite is the .284 it's fine for hunting too if loaded correctly but for a 1000 yard target gun it's hard to beat.

It can be tough to find the rifle you want with your specifications.

1. See about ordering a rifle that meets your requirements or close in the caliber you want (7-08).
2. I would advise a 308 simply because I think you'll find more of them to choose from.
3. Build the rifle you want and forget about buying a factory rifle.

You want to shoot targets and game?

You want accuracy?

You want something fairly inexpensive to feed?

You want something that doesn't "beat the snot" out of you?

You want max BBL life?

You want something that is very easy to load for with lots of data?

YOU WANT A 6MM br WIH A 1-8 TWIST TUBE!!!

I can't inagin anything that would fit the bill any better.

Just my .02.

Tod

You want to shoot targets and game?

You want accuracy?

You want something fairly inexpensive to feed?

You want something that doesn't "beat the snot" out of you?

You want max BBL life?

You want something that is very easy to load for with lots of data?

YOU WANT A 6MM br WIH A 1-8 TWIST TUBE!!!

I can't inagin anything that would fit the bill any better.

Just my .02.

Tod

the only think I can think of better would be a 6.5 Creedmoor :D....ok I may be a little biased as I just ordered one.

If your not looking for long range killing power and just wanna shoot targets out to 1200 or so my favorite is the .284 it's fine for hunting too if loaded correctly but for a 1000 yard target gun it's hard to beat.

+1 on the .284, I love mine its a great shooting round good for targets or hunting.......

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts