New Rifle build Please tell me why I should or should not build a 25-06

I had one 25-06 in my life. Totally regret selling that rifle! Mine was an old Ruger 77RS, shot sub MOA right out of the box with off the self factory ammunition. Never worked on trying to get to shoot better by reloading, there was no reason too?
I lived in northern Maine and other than coyote hunting had no use for the flat shooting 25 cal. I had about every game already covered from crows to moose with other calibers.
The answer to your question is build what you want and the 25-06 is a great flat shooting caliber. Trade off that short action for a long action and build your 25-06. You will not regret owning a 25-06!

No one mentioned it, but if you want to build off that short action and like the .25 cal bullet options, look into building a .25 PRC the new bullets for .25 cal would be great in this round

I also have .257 WBTY 1:7" 22" to have a flexibility of going suppressed. It is built primarily to propel the 133s when they come out. Meantime, I will be using the 117 Cayugas and 131 BJ's ( thanks to a very dear friend).

I do not understand when people say there is not enough bullet choices. There are numerous 100-120 offerings as originally designed. Hammer Bullets have quite a few weight offerings for this caliber. There also high BC bullet offerings from Badlands (110s), Cayugas (117s), Blackjacks (back-ordered), and Bergers (133s - not yet available, 135s). People are reporting excellent hunting successes on both the 131s and 135s already. In short, there is not a shortage of bullet choices/offerings.Ed

I have 2- 25/06. If I was going to update the Rifle I would change it to 25/06AI. Change the twist rate to somewhere around 1-7.5". Get increase of velocity with that. You do need a long action. 25/06 brass you can come by it very easy. The 30/06, 7mm, 280, 270, and there probable a couple of others cases that can be converted to 25/06. In thinking about it a little more. I would convert to a .257x280AI Case, and get just a bit more powder in the case. Peterson builds 280AI cases. So there is top quality brass to be had, and it only requires necking down the case. Or you can fire form the cases after resizing them. I am presently waiting for Peterson to do a factory run on the 280AI cases. I am having a 6mm/280AI being built. It's 1-7 twist rate and 30" heavy barrel. It maybe to much powder for the 6mm, but I have to see.
What started out to be a simple question, has turned into a project. It's fun, but look at all the different way you can go. There is several short action in 6mm that would work for you too.

i Like the 22x47 it shoots an 80 Sierra or Berger 80.5 full bore around 3380 with H 4350 and 22" barrel. I take Lapua 6.5 x 47 brass and neck it down. I always find 47 brass when I can't find Creed brass. Very minimal recoil. Works well on deer and predators. Mine is 21 moa at 1000.

Keep the Savage. Machine work is great for a production rifle. Better than some of you more expensive rifles for sure. I have a 30-06 that has had no less than 2,500 rounds through it and there are virtually no signs of barrel wear as it will dive tacks at 300 yards. The .22 would be a sweet option. 25-06 brass is not the easiest to find the last time I checked.

I say go .22 creed. No need to sell that savage in my opinion either.

the .25-06 won't work in a short action, at least not as a repeater, PLUS you already have a .270 and a 6.5 creedmoor. While one could nitpick about ballistics, theres little one can do that the others can't if you put the .25-06, 6.5 creed, and .270 to use for the same things. But a fast .22 would be legit new territory for you. If you have brass for your 6.5 cm then you have brass for the .22 version of it if you need.
some states, not legal to hunt big game with any 22 cal.

As my nick name implies, I am a huge fan of the 25-06. Got my first one in 1966 while in college. Fantastic deer, antelope, coyote killer. Long ago, I settled on the 100 gr. bullet for every thing. Build your rifle with a 1-10 twist barrel. I use Nosler Ballistic Tips, Sierra Game Kings or Barnes Trophy Copper. For ranges out 5-600 yards you will not need any thing else.