New rifle build: Do all 22-250 barrel question

codyadams

So I have a Remington 700 sps Varmint in 22-250 that has had far too many 40gr v-max bullets over 4100 blasted through it on hot P-Dog days here in Wyoming, and is getting a pretty rough throat. So I want to rebarrel to 22-250AI or plain ol' 22-250, don't really matter much to me, 22-250 blows p-dogs up pretty good too. But my question is this...

Which twist rate would stabilize the sierra 65gr gameking, but also shoot a 40gr bullet accurate too?

I shoot a lot of p-dogs and my favorite load is a 40gr vmax on top of 39gr varget. Its doing about 4135 out of my 26" barrel, half inch groups consistently even in the crappy SPS stock which is now replaced, and I don't have to aim very high till they are beyond 400yds, and the impacts are nothing less than spectacular. But recently Wyoming made it legal to hunt deer and antelope with 22 cal cartridges of a certain size, and 22-250 qualifies. BUT, there is a minimum 60gr bullet weight. I want to use the 65gr gameking, as Sierra stated it is designed for game such as deer and antelope when I called and asked, and in my AR15 .223 they performed great on a small 3 point at 115 yards, giving me a complete pass through and 50 cent sized exit.

Any Info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks yall'

1:12 will stabilize a 60gr in a .250. As for a 65gr, I'm not sure. You could probably go 1:10 and be safe for the light bullets up to 65grs. I'll also be curious to see others' thoughts.

So I have a Remington 700 sps Varmint in 22-250 that has had far too many 40gr v-max bullets over 4100 blasted through it on hot P-Dog days here in Wyoming, and is getting a pretty rough throat. So I want to rebarrel to 22-250AI or plain ol' 22-250, don't really matter much to me, 22-250 blows p-dogs up pretty good too. But my question is this...

Which twist rate would stabilize the sierra 65gr gameking, but also shoot a 40gr bullet accurate too?

I shoot a lot of p-dogs and my favorite load is a 40gr vmax on top of 39gr varget. Its doing about 4135 out of my 26" barrel, half inch groups consistently even in the crappy SPS stock which is now replaced, and I don't have to aim very high till they are beyond 400yds, and the impacts are nothing less than spectacular. But recently Wyoming made it legal to hunt deer and antelope with 22 cal cartridges of a certain size, and 22-250 qualifies. BUT, there is a minimum 60gr bullet weight. I want to use the 65gr gameking, as Sierra stated it is designed for game such as deer and antelope when I called and asked, and in my AR15 .223 they performed great on a small 3 point at 115 yards, giving me a complete pass through and 50 cent sized exit.

Any Info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks yall'

I'd recommend a 1 in 9 for the 65 grain bullet. It will do well with the 40 grainers too. You can't really over spin a bullet. If you want it to have a true long range capability go with a 1 in 8 to spin the heavy 70 grainers and up and forget about the fast 40s. You'll have more down range punch with less wind drift. A fast twist 22-250 is a sweet setup. Another thing to consider is go with a 22-250 improved to get a little more out of it.

I shoot 70gr Speer SSP's in my AR's and they are hellacious on pigs. That's the heaviest constructed bullet that I've seen in .224" past the 65's, but it's extremely blunt and has a terrible BC. Not exactly a LR bullet. Seems like the Berger 80's and 90's are target bullets. I wouldn't trust them on deer until proven otherwise.

After running ballistics of the 40gr vmax to the 75+ weight bullets...holy crap. HUGE difference. 10 mph wind @800 is 16.5 MOA and elevation is 24.2 MOA with the 40, and 5.9 MOA wind and 15.26 MOA elevation with the 80gr vmax going off data from reloaders nest on the 80 grainers...thats HUGE. Not to mention the huge energy difference, 56 ft lbs to 545 ft lbs...WOWZERS. K so my question has changed...If I go with a 1 in 7 twist, would it still shoot the 75 grain bullets well or is that too tight? It would be pretty cool to shoot the 90 gr VLD....

After running ballistics of the 40gr vmax to the 75+ weight bullets...holy crap. HUGE difference. 10 mph wind @800 is 16.5 MOA and elevation is 24.2 MOA with the 40, and 5.9 MOA wind and 15.26 MOA elevation with the 80gr vmax going off data from reloaders nest on the 80 grainers...thats HUGE. Not to mention the huge energy difference, 56 ft lbs to 545 ft lbs...WOWZERS. K so my question has changed...If I go with a 1 in 7 twist, would it still shoot the 75 grain bullets well or is that too tight? It would be pretty cool to shoot the 90 gr VLD....

Base your twist on the heaviest bullet you intend to shoot. If you intend to run 80 and 90 grain bullets go with the fastest you can get. It will do fantastic with 75s too. The 75 grain A max is a very nice bullet worth considering.

Sweet, it's a done deal then. 1 in 7 and I'll play with the 75 and 80 gr v max, and the 90 gr. Berger and a few others. Thanks for the help guys, greatly appreciated

I personally would go 1-8 twist. I have a 1-9 twist 22-250 that's my main prairie dog rifle and I'm thinking of building a 22-250 AI that'll be 1-8. An 8 twist will shooting anything up to 80 grs. and nothing heavier than that is useful on varmints anyway. If you get too fast twisted then they start getting finicky, plus you can get blowups out of the lighter bullets by spinning them too fast.

If I were forced to hunt deer with a 22 cal. it would only be with a barnes TTSX/TSX.

I agree with Gary Crow. The Barnes should be a great deer bullet. But even 1:8 twist I don't think you will be able to push 40gr'ers at 4100 without causing catastrophic bullet failure.

I would go with a 1 in 8 twist and shoot only 75 a max bullets. That is what my coyote/prairie dog gun is. The 75 a max @ 3650 is just as much fun on prairie dogs as a 40 vmax.

My 22-250 has a benchmark 1 in 8 twist finished at 24". It shoots both 77gr noslers and 69gr sierra match kings loaded with 4831sc into one ragged hole. Unless you plan on going to the 90 grainers I would stay with the 1 in 8 and shoot to your hearts content. gun)gun)gun)

morning, i have a 22-250AI. very particular about bullet weight. mine is a 1-14 twist.

i shoot barnes 53gr tsx and 55gr ttsx. the twist u referred to is very good for heavier

bullets. the 22-250AI 39grs. of 4320 is very accurate. 3600fps. save my barrel.

i have a 223AI that loves 75gr match grade bergers. 27.0grs. tac.

I shoot a 22-250 with an 8 twist. Both 75 grain ELDM's and Berger's 85.5's shoot lights out. The eldm's have accounted for prairie dogs a little past 1100 yards. Both bullets shoot so well, with the ELDM's expanding more reliably, that I don't bother with lighter bullets. Plenty of sail dogs to 6 and 700 yards.