New rifle build 280IA

What barrel mfg

• Total voters

birddog67

Looking at building one I have a donor action , what barrel MFG ? Lots of choices need help on this one , going with HS precision stock jewel trigger , want to load 180 hybrids , scope still up in the air night force is my first choice . My biggest question is barrel mfg , is fluting worth is ? Or really just for looks

What barrel would you use for this build .

Dougless
Brux
Krieger
Wilson .
In know I am leaving some out please post your preference and why ?

Thanks

Last edited:
My smith has been smithing for 50+ years, said he's been building .280 AI's for 40 of them. Says all barrls are good, but be has always had the best all-around experience with Douglas. Says their customer service and watranty is the best, and says he has the best accuracy out of them. So, I trust him. He says the Rock Creek barrels are about the next best, but the blanks cost more than the Douglas.

I think you couldn't go wrong with any of the major manufacturers, honestly. But he says the Douglas has the only virtually unconditional warranty he's seen.

So, I'll probably go with a Douglas, maybe pay the $100 more for a Rock Creek with the Obermeyer 5R rifling....Who knows. I'll figure it out when the time comes.

I chose a Brux 9 twist #4 26 inch finish length. I just brought it to the smith last weekend. Hopefully it's done by September. Good luck with your build.

Hart or Broughton would get my vote. The 5C Broughton be a first choice for me probably. 28" 1 in 9 for this chambering.

Fluting, well it looks nice, as for the actual performance benefit on this chambering I say probably not much.

jeff

My smith also said that the only fluted barrels he'll install were fluted prior to rifling the barrels, b/c the fluting process can hurt the rifling or something or other....Beats me, but that's what he said.

I'm gonna go with a 26" 1:9 twist Sendero contour, whichever brand I go with.

Most barrel makers will flute before stress treatment and final lapping . I am guessing that is what he was referring to.

Jeff

Yeah, that's it! Sorry, it's been a LONG week, and my brain is fried...And we still got tomorrow before it's over. LOL

I built my 280 Ackley #7 stainless Douglas barrel with a 1in9 twist a little over a year ago. It was really ruff inside and copper fouled really bad. I hand lapped it and it is doing fine now and shoots good. The heavest bullet I have shot in it is 162g A-max and 168g burgers.

I often wonder how come Douglas barrels aren't mentioned much. I have had since 1976, 8 rifles re-barreled with Douglas barrels and they have all been excellent shooters. Mind you, I'm not a bench rest shooter but, when I can shoot 3 shot groups into tiny cloverleafs, that, for me is great.

The top three barrel manufacturers right now for producing extremely accurate barrels are Bartlein, Kreiger, and Brux, in that order, and benchmark and hart are also in the top 5. That said, i went with a Brux on my most recent build, and anyone of those five above will shoot tiny, tiny groups.

The top three barrel manufacturers right now for producing extremely accurate barrels are Bartlein, Kreiger, and Brux, in that order, and benchmark and hart are also in the top 5. That said, i went with a Brux on my most recent build, and anyone of those five above will shoot tiny, tiny groups.

Where do you get your stats Riley? Not doubting you, just curious.

As for me I just got 3 projects done on Broughton 5C barrels. 2 of them have shot .2" groups, the other I haven't had a chance to flesh out yet.

That said I've read a lot of good things about Benchmark barrels and plan to use some of them for my next 3 projects. Not that I am not satisfied Broughton... I am very happy with those barrels and my dealings with Tim North who is a great guy IMO and will take the time to share his experiences and thoughts with you. I like the idea of the 5C or 5R rifling. Not really sure they are any better then the standard 6 groove barrels, but it sounds like a good concept.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.