New rifle break-in

skandlus

what is the right way to break-in an off the shelf remington, savage, etc 243? and why? just curious

well... after sifting through a bunch of crap for a gem on the search... which is like finding a needle in a haystack, this is what I guess I will stick with... if its good enough for Gale, its good enough for me

Barrel Break-In

Just remember, a preponderance of evidence suggests you can't believe everything you read on the web.

:rolleyes:

All I can tell ya is that I break-in all my barrels...my buddies don't. I shoot sub MOA groups, they use paper plates for targets.

I'm just sayin'

well... after sifting through a bunch of crap for a gem on the search... which is like finding a needle in a haystack, this is what I guess I will stick with... if its good enough for Gale, its good enough for me

Barrel Break-In

I feel I have to respond to this because of opposing opinions on this subject and the experiences
I have had with both break in and non break in of barrels.

First the barrels with no break in= The barrels that I did not break in fouled much worse and required much more cleaning time. Also they needed to be seasoned (10 or more rounds avg)
before they settled in and started shooting and after shooting a match they required major
cleaning and had to be re seasoned before the next match.

With the barrel break in procedure being used = I found that they required very little cleaning,
even after 100 shot matches and returned to best groups after only one fouling shot or just
dry patching. Also My rifles seemed to be more forgiving on any loads fired (None were really
bad) and SDs were always better for some reason.

Not to long ago I worked on a friends 6mm WSSM that would not shoot under 4" groups after
full floating the barrel installing pillars and bedding.(It was a Winchester coyote) the barrel was
very rough. after a light lapping we broke the barrel in cleaning and shooting and with in 25 rounds it was shooting under 1 MOA and is still improving the more he shoots it.

There are some that don't break in there barrels and that's fine if that's what they want to do
but "NOW" I break in all barrels because of the benefits in barrel life,performance and ease
of cleaning.

So each to his own !

J E CUSTOM

No offense to Gale, but I've read that article before and dont have a clue where he's coming from.

Something to keep in mind is... barrel break-in is not about accuracy. It's about conditioning your barrel to foul less... period. And if you do it right, it WILL accomplish that. That may improve accuracy to some degree or may not. But if you're breaking in a new barrel you will never know. Let me repeat... a proper break-in WILL reduce copper fouling. I have experienced three times now and others many more. Reuced copper fouling means....

- longer periods between needed cleanings ( no sense in cleaning a bore that is shooting well) When copper builds up, accuracy will fall off.

- much easier cleaning sessions, and...

- more shooting consistancy

- less fouling shots required after cleaning (longer barrel life and less wasted ammo)

Not all barrels will stop fouling but some do or almost stop. Custom handlapped barrels break in easier. Factory barrels take a good bit more work and some will only partially break-in.

I will be breaking in all my barrels.

Good shooting,

Mark

The first factory barrel I ever performed the proper break in was a Rem 700 about 15 years ago. I had read an article in some magazine and was curious about it. I can tell you that it did make a difference. Not only did it foul less, but it was a much more accurate rifle. I have performed this on every gun since and overall they are all top shooters. I think a proper break in is the way to go and you're not going to burn up a tube doing it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts