New rifle break in:5r mil spec

Dirty Gav

Gday fella's. New member here lookin for a lil guidance from those in the know. Jus ready to christen me new toy. Got a remington 5r mil spec in 308 with a nightforce 5.5-22x56 with 20moa rail an titanium rings. Nolan bore guide with pro shot stainless rod.been waitin a long time to be legal(australian gun laws are a bastard). But finally there and want to do it right from the get go. Bit lost with break in(so many opinions)and best products(solvents/lubs). Any thoughts?

when i got my custom build my gun smith said take 1 shot for 5 times then 2 3 shot groups then2 5 shots groups clean in between every group he gave me 50 bmg cleaner to use then to use j&b paste it after last 5 shot group so thats what i did

Tar. A tad wary of abrasives like jb/rem clean. Was lookin at using butch's bore shine? What's thoughts on amonnia based products?heard some bad things of sweets

Get yourself some Boretech CU+2 solvent and do the cleaning process that the post before you stated. Boretech CU+2 is one of the best solvents that I have ever used and it is not ammonia based. It doesnt even have a smell at all but it will strip all of the copper out of your barrel for sure.

Thanks. Have heard a bit about the boretech. Will it also take care of powder/carbon fouling? Or do i need to use a seperate product first(was told to strip powder fouling out first so can properly lift the copper). And thanks once again fellas

I have owned three Remington Milspecs. After break in all shot .25-.5 MOA 5 shot groups. Many times even better. They would also hold accuracy for 150-200 rounds and clean quickly. I think this is the main advantage of the MilSpec barrel. The break in I used was:

Using 43 gr. Varget, 210 Fed Match primers, 168 SMK, Fed Match or Lapua brass, OAL 2.81".

Shots 1-10, Clean after each shot.
Shots. 11-23 Clean after 3 shots
Shots. 24-42 Clean after 5 shots
Done

After about 7 or 8 shots of the first cycle you should notice that the carbon cleans up noticeably faster. I think this might be over kill, but I took advantage of some load or ballistic work. For cleaning I used a couple different solvents which all worked fine.
The Bore Tech CU +2 is my favorite. I. Ran one or two wet patches, then nylon brushed about 10 strokes, then back to wet patches until clean. Dry bore. Shoot. Get about 2500 rounds before my groups start to open about .25-.5 MOA larger, but I have shot pretty hot in competition.

Tar Boys. Spent a bit of time researching before I bought and read very favourable accuracy reports for the 5r(Thanks Grey Fox).
Was wondering how you fellas feal regarding brushes(bronze vs nylon)?

Tar Boys. Spent a bit of time researching before I bought and read very favourable accuracy reports for the 5r(Thanks Grey Fox).
Was wondering how you fellas feal regarding brushes(bronze vs nylon)?

I switched to nylon about 5 years ago. With the newer solvents I just use it to loosen the carbon up. Also the Boretech eats up the bronze brushes.

Tar Boys. Pretty much echoing my thoughts. Let the chems do the work instead of friction. Should be out the range tomorrow or the next to runnin. Was lookin at doin 10x1,5x2,5x3,2x5,1x10. To much/little. Really appreciate the guidance

This is my first post to this forum. I have been reading this site and other LR/sniper sites for a while and enjoy long range shooting. I am a hunter, however, 600 yard shots are almost impossible here in Maine because it's so heavily wooded. Never the less, I own a few long range guns and take advantage of LR shooting when I can.

I recent bought a new Remington 700 Milspec 5R and came on this site to get recommendations how to clean and use this rifle. I was really pleased to find this thread. Thanks for your insightful comments. Now all I have to do is go on the range as the wind blows and the temps are below freezing!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts