New Remington ?

Tbone

A friend picked up a nib 700 sf cdl in .270wsm last week. I helped him get the scope on it and off to the range we went.

When placing factory ammo into the chamber, no problems, as we just dropped them in. But after placing 2 rounds into the magazine, I noticed very long, deep grooves cut into the shoulder area of the top round as it was pushed out of the magazine with the bolt. And I could see tiny pieces of brass when I looked down into the magazine. Has Remington now got feeding problems with the 700?

A friend picked up a nib 700 sf cdl in .270wsm last week. I helped him get the scope on it and off to the range we went.

When placing factory ammo into the chamber, no problems, as we just dropped them in. But after placing 2 rounds into the magazine, I noticed very long, deep grooves cut into the shoulder area of the top round as it was pushed out of the magazine with the bolt. And I could see tiny pieces of brass when I looked down into the magazine. Has Remington now got feeding problems with the 700?

This is common with staggered feed (The round comes out of the mag of to one side and has to
be pushed over to feed properly.

The original Winchesters had this problem and the best way to solve it on any action is to go to a center feed box and follower.

J E CUSTOM

Sounds like the lip on the magazine is sharp. A few minutes smoothing it off should solve your problem. Feel for the sharp spot without getting cut, and smooth it off. I have polished magazine lips on several guns over the years.

Obviously, the gun should not have shipped that way, but "It happens". I would like to think the rifle he purchased was expensive enough this should not have happened, but it is a production gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.