New Remington Alpha 1, M700

I run a production machine shop for a living........ Current generation multitasking machines are leaps and bounds ahead of what used to be. The machine I am looking at right now is loading a 47 pound blank of 4340 heat treated material, 6 minutes 48 seconds later it is 23 pounds, holding .0005" on diameter and .0015" on length over 19.75".
Now I'm curious. What features are you machining? Any mill work? Drilled and tapped holes? Broaching? Recesses with helical ramp surfaces? Threads?
Anti-bind surfaces?

They deep sixed the 700 *** extractor. Thank goodness. Improved their extraction timing. Refined tolerances to the point barrel swaps maintain proper headdpace. All sounds good. Adopting some custom rifle action features into this model.

So expect it'll cost a good bit more than the previous 700s. Could be worth it. Tighter tolerances cost more initially, and cost more to maintain during ongoing production.

Tikka is some tough pricing competition. Time will tell if RemArms can compete with established firearm manufacturers...

I am surprised how quickly people are willing to forgive and forget the garbage that has been Remington, and think that RemArms is going to be magically different. CEO being a hunter doesn't really mean anything other than to con the gullible for marketing purposes. I purchased a R700, a 783, and an 870 in the past ten years and and each and every one had problems based on sub par fit and finish, quality control, and simple design flaws. There was more going on at that company than just quality control issues, look at the R51 and RP9 catastrophes as examples. This doesn't mean that RemArms can't or won't produce quality firearms, but I would just recommend extreme caution and skepticism before laying your hard earned money on the table for one. Give them time. Reviews of the new 870's seem to be decent, perhaps not groundbreaking in any way, but there were also reports of old stock still getting shipped out as new product. Even the CEO in the linked interview talks about leaving old parts like the MIM extractors on the production line until they can get around to coming up with a better replacement.

I run a production machine shop for a living........ Current generation multitasking machines are leaps and bounds ahead of what used to be. The machine I am looking at right now is loading a 47 pound blank of 4340 heat treated material, 6 minutes 48 seconds later it is 23 pounds, holding .0005" on diameter and .0015" on length over 19.75".
I do not doubt your competencies or the time it takes your machine to remove all that material so quick. I too work in a machine shop. We are manufacturing 7075 aluminium components which are rather simple in design compared to a rifle bolt, and even at full speed we can not make them faster than 4 to 6min depending on the parts. There is a difference between removing a lot material fast and doing a lot of different small intricate operations that involve a certain quantity of tooling change over as well.

I have no opinion on the intricacies of manufacturing save the fact that clearly others have figured out a round top 8-40 screw base rem 700 clone with a one piece bolt and trigger tech trigger. They are made by a list so long its not worth compiling, from about 1200$ to whatever they sheister folks for a gumwerks. Heck in almost any trim, cartridge, barrel or stock in increments of 200$.

As to how long to wait to trust them.... either day one or never. If they can't look at a bergara/Christensen/seekins etc..... (forever) and figure it out from word go.... they aren't saveable.

My big question is will it compete, we used to have remington<nosler/bergara etc<semi custom<full custom. Remington brought the value down low with mass production scale for price incentive. Will they be able to do it to find and edge in the semi premium range?

So they are replacing the 700 entirely or this is an option for their higher end line of rifles?

To me they'll want to keep a rifle at the Bergara B14 price point and I don't see that happening with this action. Maybe it will though, make a semi custom build off an A1 action pretty affordable.

I don't know about all the manufacturing technicalities, and so I can't make a prediction as to what will happen. But I do hope that Remington is successful with this. More successful than their and our wildest imaginations in fact. Remington is one of the classic American firearm manufacturing names, and I for one would be tickled to see Big Green return to her former glory.

I think a lot of people are realizing that if you want a nice, solid rifle with everything done right, it's gonna be north of 1k. If you want a tupperware rifle that will no doubt, shoot minute of pie plate, might or might not eject correctly, may or may not even chamber a round from the factory, and comes with a Chinese 3-9, you can spend $350-$500.
Savage seems to have it figured out. I have a cheap tupperware savage varmint that will shoot with my custom rifles. It wont beat em but it hangs pretty good for a $ 300 rifle.

Savage seems to have it figured out. I have a cheap tupperware savage varmint that will shoot with my custom rifles. It wont beat em but it hangs pretty good for a $ 300 rifle.
The difference is you have one that will do that. My family has gone through three different savage 6.5 creedmoor's that had unusable chambers from the factory, all purchased from different places, because they looked like this -
20190329_104525.jpg

One couldn't even chamber a round, the two others wouldn't extract a round, or had very hard extraction and would scratch the case. None of them would eject the cartridge after a real gunsmith fixed the chamber issue, the case would just fall out of the boltface in the raceway. And of the 3 other savages I have had or worked on, one .308 win and two 6.5x284's, two of them had crooked chambers, to the point the rifling came to the case mouth on one side, and and about .75" of freebore on the other, both of the 6.5x284's. They shot about .75-1 MOA after extensive load work on a good day. They managed to not screw up the .308 win, it was a consistent .5-.75 MOA gun with good loads if I did it right. My custom/semi custom guns are all consistent half moa or less if I do my job right.

I'm assuming I have just had a stint of bad luck with them, however I am pretty much done with them other than building off of actions. My uncle got one of the savages with a proof barrel, I believe proof cuts the chamber for them though. It looked pretty good and shot well also, but also fails to eject spent cartridges.

Last edited:
I was in Cabela's over the weekend and was surprised to see "new production" ADLs on the shelf for sale. I looked at one briefly and it did have a new serial number(unlike the RR series numbers of pre bankruptcy models). To me it looked like an ADL from several years ago, nothing new. I'm really hoping the new Alpha will be everything they are claiming it to be, epecially the ability to switch barrels.

I was in Cabela's over the weekend and was surprised to see "new production" ADLs on the shelf for sale. I looked at one briefly and it did have a new serial number(unlike the RR series numbers of pre bankruptcy models). To me it looked like an ADL from several years ago, nothing new. I'm really hoping the new Alpha will be everything they are claiming it to be, epecially the ability to switch barrels.
What price were they going for? You used to be able to get wally world adl's on sale for $300

I noticed that new release 700's seem to be a few hundred bucks more than before the sell out

Last edited:
What price were they going for? You ised to be able to get wally world adl's on sale for $300

I noticed that new release 700's seem to be a few hundred bucks more than before the sell out
IIRC they were around $500 for the varmint ADL models. A far cry from the days of $300 at Walmart...

Recent Posts