New Remington Alpha 1, M700

Bob Wright

New rifle line review for Big Green. Maybe they are changing after all.

I wonder about price point

I also wonder if the classic "rem 700" offerings they have been selling this past year are just old rem parts-- or did they use "the proper metals" and "increased qc" on those too?
I hope that they made improvements in QA/QC and CS. I saw an FB post that compared the A1 to a 783 with modifications; I sure hope it is better than that and the price point attractive to end-users.

I wonder about price point

I also wonder if the classic "rem 700" offerings they have been selling this past year are just old rem parts-- or did they use "the proper metals" and "increased qc" on those too?
My guess would be the same old stuff, maybe just finishing out with some of their old stock? I also wonder if they are going to continue making their plane jane rem 700 or if it will be doscontinued.

It will be interesting to see the chamber changes they are making, tighter twist is a great thing, more freebore will be interesting, and I wonder if their longer mag boxes are gonna be 3.850" or all the way out to the 4" mag boxes, and what will their short actions be?? A short action 7 SAUM with a 3.1" mag box, 8 twist and freebore to match would be a sweet factory offering. I would hope prices will be competitive with christensen arms or less, if they are a bunch more, they may have a hard time selling rifles.

I would bet the A1s will go to the Wyatt's extended box length of SA 2.990" and the LAs 3.850".
I also bet price point will be about double what an R700 CDL is. Probably in the $1500-2000 range.

Good for Remington. I hope the review of their accuracy and QA come out to be outstanding once they get released and the public gets their hands on them. A paid reviewer might have a bit too much bias.

Just about every change the writer mentions looks like Remington has cleared the chalkboard and went after the better offerings of competitors, better manufacturing processes and material. IF they can reduce quality related returns, that is profit in the back end. Quality equals less cost ultimately. They are placing their bet on this Alpha.
I've always liked Remington and wish them success. But I too have had problems before their collapse.
I noticed in the preseason sale ads, there were "zero" Remington products in the mailings. Even the REMARMS site is bland, nothing that really says "we're back".

A blog with Remington's D'Arcy, discussing where they are headed. Certainly, Remington is interested in producing the best products but they are not interested at competing with the cheaper price point guns out there. So, expect the costs to reflect that.