New Reloading Method for me

Interesting article that sums up all I've read: LINK

and the more recent trends I've read quite a bit about...LINK

Good read. Thanks for sharing the link.

I've struggled with the best process to finding a good load combo. I've been reloading and tinkering with my process for 10 years now. I mainly load for long range hunting or practice for it. So while this stuff is cool and informative I think of I went down the roadof testing all these variables I would be burning a lot of barrel life, components and time to not really gain anything.

None the less it is fun to read about and learn.

Thanks again

I mean no offense.
Problem is, CUP uses known, calibrated alloys, methodology and equipment.
IMO, chamber differences, brass alloy differences and measurement methodology make enough variables that, for someone not familiar or inexperienced, is an invitation to potential disaster.
As to alloys, look at the differences in brass behavior between Hornady, Lapua and PPU brass. While I havent measured case expansion, I have recent tests where the same load in the same rifle ruptured R-P and PPU brass but not Lapua or Norma brass.
Years ago, I stopped obsessing about velocity and with that, stopped pushing the limits, and no more pressure signs.
Ultimately it's about precision and accuracy.
I imagine your measurements are valid for your methods and rifle. Do your thing.
I know men who can lick their finger and tell you wind speed, who can look at different flags or mirages and accurately gauge how it will affect their shot. I am in awe of them. My personal favorites are the golfers I knew as a caddie who could read the green and had the skill to place their shot so it rolled close to the cup. When they could do it 10 out of 18 times, it wasn't luck.

"Years ago, I stopped obsessing about velocity and with that, stopped pushing the limits, and no more pressure signs. Ultimately it's about precision and accuracy."

You just said a mouthful there, Mister. That has saved me a ton of anguish over the years. Trying to wring the last 20 fps out of a handload is a fool's errand, and often the source of a lot of problems.

Trying to wring the last 20 fps out of a handload is a fool's errand
Yep, I was a fool for easily a decade, chasing that Unicorn. Still foolish about many things (e.g. wildcats), but the "old bull - young bull" mentality has seeped into the pursuit of MV. :)

Amen. When you stop chasing chronographs and start focusing on precision and accuracy the hobby becomes much more enjoyable.

Amen. When you stop chasing chronographs and start focusing on precision and accuracy the hobby becomes much more enjoyable.

Agreed. The chronograph is for finding out how fast your most accurate loads are going. They are, of course, useful in the pressure testing part of the process, and it doesn't cost anything to strap it on when doing that. There are some processes that use it for finding the accuracy node, and this has value as well. But for me, it's not for goal-setting at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.