New Reloading Bench

I'm moving and need to get a new reloading bench. We are renting the house so I unfortunately I can't permanently attach or anchor the bench to the walls or floor. Having said that, what over the counter work benches have you guys used for your reloading benches? I was thinking about just getting a Harbor freight wooden workbench, but not sure if you guys know of something better that's not overly expensive. Thanks!
Get it! I was on my way, to the local Home Depot, to get the materials for new bench, but then I remembered HF have a wood workers table. Picked it and some heavy duty nylon caster wheels, assembled, done! The wood vise on the side, makes for an extra bonus gun cleaning, AR assembling or whatever!

I'm moving and need to get a new reloading bench. We are renting the house so I unfortunately I can't permanently attach or anchor the bench to the walls or floor. Having said that, what over the counter work benches have you guys used for your reloading benches? I was thinking about just getting a Harbor freight wooden workbench, but not sure if you guys know of something better that's not overly expensive. Thanks!
Consider assembling a bench from a 1-1/4" - 2" thick wood laminated work bench top sized to your width/depth needs with 2-drawer file cabinets (~29" height) as the pedestals. Puts top surface right around 30-32", easily modified for height preference with 2x lumber stock box ripped to desired height beneath cabinet bases or top. Top provides a stable surface for working, attaching equipment. Position top over cabinets for a flush or overhang design. File cabinets available in 15" standard or 18" legal widths provide great component/equipment storage, available with locks. Attach shelves between the cabinets for extra storage. Tops can be purchased locally at home centers. With a little patience....after all it's the hunt as much as he kill....quality industrial file cabinets go for $2-20 at Goodwill type outlets. Extra storage could be incorporated by using taller 4-5 drawer cabinets (~ 59" tall) as pillars on each side with laminated top attached between at appropriate height. This taller arrangement allows easy attachment of pegboard or slatwall between backs of pillar cabinets to hang gear for ready access. Tall pillar end cabinets with multiple tops supported in the center by 2-drawer cabinets makes a work bench system of any length. Multiple 2-drawer cabinets lined up under one of the multiple tops really makes for great storage bank. Lights easily suspend above work surface. Usually heavy, stable enough for any application, but if not, add weight in cabinet bottoms beneath lower drawer. I've even mounted on wheels with brakes for mobility needs. Some installations added "roof top" between pillar cabinets with a pull down door to totally enclose the unit for security, wifey approval, kid proofing. Have added 2-drawer cabinets atop the taller end pillar cabinets....approaches 80" height......some with the 2-drawers removed.........left open or replaced with swing doors for easy access at higher elevation......to facilitate the enclosed back/top/pull down door design with maximum storage within available footprint. Side pull opening 2-3-4-5 drawer cabinets make for even more flexible access storage cabinets. Side pulls with drawers oriented outward make for great end pillars. File cabinets are the best general storage devices. Inexpensive, functional, quality, finished/professional appearance, easy to disassemble for relocation. I've used this design for many, many installations for reloading, work shop, garage, entry mud room, laundry room storage/folding center, computer desk.....your imagination is the only limit.......the Legos of storage/work benches. You are welcome. :) :) :)

Last edited:
This looks like it might be a good one from Global Industrial. https://images.globalindustrial.com/images/pd/31336014.jpg?t=1600102212000
Bought something close to it from Uline, added a few of their options. Like it a lot, but don't be fooled by the "rock maple" top description, it's not a lot harder than pine.
i-fKHCmTv-L.jpg

Were I to do it again I'd forget about the bin rail and I'd add another shelf above the peg 'board'. I would very definitely order that LED light again. Lots of usable light w/o being harsh. Another one under the shelf wouldn't be a bad idea.
This one is a 60" as that was all that would fit, but it is easy to run out of length. Wish that I'd room to put a 72" or longer in there.
File cabinet in the foreground houses all of the supplies, and a host of other stuff as well.

I bought a Husky table from HomeDepot that has a hardwood top and is adjustable in height. Turning it into a loading bench that I can move around. It is very stable and solid built. It was on sale for something like $199. Might look at theirs.

I wanted a stand alone bench that does not bolt to the wall and is solid as well, so built two, 4' and 8' X 24" using butcher board for a top and 4X4 for the legs. Thick plywood would work just as well with less expensive 4x4 legs and plywood for the shelves. I wanted one that will last and move with me so over built it some😂🤦🏻‍♂️

Attachments

• 00FC4631-3E24-493C-BB04-4F8BCF717DDF.jpeg
    00FC4631-3E24-493C-BB04-4F8BCF717DDF.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 179
I looked at the Walmart link and it didn't show the hood or drawers. What I saw looked exactly like the item at Harbor Freight for $99 rather than $273 from Wally. Did you add the accoutrements?
No, I bought it directly from Walmart (on-line) $199.95 It's a bit tricky to assemble.
Wish it had a bit more space, but it works fine.
I'll see if I can get you the link.
x30h1XcuS+ihhVc%2W70Uw.jpg

Attachments

• nr173DkoQdKCN8vX5OF%cA.jpg
    nr173DkoQdKCN8vX5OF%cA.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 95
Last edited:
I just wanted to update this thread. I went to Harbor Freight today and they had one of the 4 drawer wooden work benches on display. It was very wobbly and the top was cracked in multiple spots. I'm not sure if this is normal or just from being moved around and messed with while on display. They did have a metal bench that had 2 drawers on it and a backer with an overhead light for a similar price. The only thing I didn't like about it, was there would be no where to mount the press without blocking one of the drawers. I thought that I could maybe just bolt on an extension to set the press off the actual bench and be able to use the drawers. I'm going to look into some of the others that were shared here. Thanks guys! I'll keep you updated.

Recent Posts