New reloading bench

Match Dave

I am going to get started in reloading and I need a bench to get started. What I am looking for is any input in size, layout, or tips for getting started. Thanks Dave

Where are you putting it? If you have room and you can make it permanent, build it yourself from 2x4s and plywood and top it with Formica. You can usually find a cheap leftover at Home Depot or the like, and it cleans up easy and keeps things nice and easy to see. Tie the whole thing right into your studs.

Build a high shelf over top of it to hang some light bars from, and if you can get a tumbler on top that's a bonus. I also keep storage boxes, ammo boxes, etc up top

On the back wall, I mounted a small compartment organizer for odds and ends, bushings, priming accessories, shell holders, etc. I also put up some narrow shelves to hold die sets, calipers, tricklers, scales, etc.

Underneath my bench I stuck 4 two-drawer file cabinets for brass and bullets.

The length of the bench will depend on what you are going to mount. Mine is about 10ft, but I have both a single stage and progressive mounted, along with a powder throw on one end and room to measure, trim, prep, weigh, etc in the middle.

No matter how you set up, try to have:

Good stability
Lots of light
Lots of storage/organization space

Enjoy your new hobby!

No matter how you set up, try to have:

Good stability
Lots of light
Lots of storage/organization space

Enjoy your new hobby!

I agree With these.

My setup isn't near as impressive. I've got a cheap desk with a 4 drawers under it.

If you have basic handtools and a little know how you can build a great setup for cheap.

Thanks for the great input. As far as whats going on it, i am starting with a single stage press and as the hobby grows i would like to add a turret press and maybe a shot shell press. I should have 10 to 12 feet of space available for the bench. I was thinking about the sonic cleaners for brass prep. Any thoughts on that? I have herd that fluorescent lights could be a problem with a electronic scale. Any thoughts on that? Thanks Dave

Thanks for the great input. As far as whats going on it, i am starting with a single stage press and as the hobby grows i would like to add a turret press and maybe a shot shell press. I should have 10 to 12 feet of space available for the bench. I was thinking about the sonic cleaners for brass prep. Any thoughts on that? I have herd that fluorescent lights could be a problem with a electronic scale. Any thoughts on that? Thanks Dave

I have heard mixed reviews on sonic cleaners. I do traditional tumbling and it works fine for me - but if I were going to change it would be to stainless tumbling media.

I have heard the same thing about fluorescent lights and e-scales. I have a cheap e-scale that I use as a double-check to my beam scale, and my lights don't effect it at all. I would like to think the better e-scales would be even less sensitive, but I am probably wrong....

As far as electronic scales and sonic cleaners go, it depends on how accurate you want to be while reloading.

If you're doing precision reloading you're going to need a trickler and a non-electric scale. I say that only because electronic scales can be off up to a grain.

If you're not reloading for precision than it's not going to matter.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.