New Reloader with Question on Resizing

Bominiscious

I'm new to this forum and new to reloading which is part of why I joined. I have gathered everything I need to reload for each chambering and cartridge that I currently have. I've had people tell me that I need to resize my brass and I've had people tell me it's not necessary. What is the consensus, or is there one and am I just opening a canna worms? I don't know what I should do. Thanks

If you are comparing neck sizing and FL sizing, yes you will have to do at least one of them. My .02 on this is that I FL everything and push the shoulder .020". I don't have any strict target guns so chances of the brass and chamber being dirty are pretty good. I don't want to have issues chambering a round while hunting.

If you are comparing neck sizing and FL sizing, yes you will have to do at least one of them. My .02 on this is that I FL everything and push the shoulder .020". I don't have any strict target guns so chances of the brass and chamber being dirty are pretty good. I don't want to have issues chambering a round while hunting.
Sure it was a typo, but just to make sure the OP is on track did you mean .002"?

Lately I have started using the Wilson full length bushing die. I measure a loaded round and then find a bushing that will give me the tension I need. I.E.; my loaded round is .294. I want the sized neck at .291. You would have to play with different size bushings (.291, .290 or .289) due to spring back. It will also depend up thickness of the neck.

The other thing that your question bring to mind is sizing new brass or just running it.

I generally FL Size new brass to be sure it is sized correctly in the neck. That said, I think you can just run it, if the neck od gives the right neck tension.

Has somebody actually told you that fired brass did not need sized? I only know of one limited case for this…..and it is highly limited.

.002 bump right? Not .020...

Recent Posts