new reloader couple questions

jcorn

I am working up my first load and have a couple questions. First, how far off the lands should I start. Crimp or no crimp. That second one should get interesting. Anyway here is what I am working with.
Remington 700, 300wm, Hornady 180gr SST, H1000. The loads will see field time if that helps with the second questin any.

I apoligize should have searched a little more. Found plenty of info on crimp no crimp and I am going to start .030 off the lands.

I'm a no crimp guy, and I do .010 - .005 off the lands and then build my loads from there for maximum accuracy.

I'm a no crimp guy, and I do .010 - .005 off the lands and then build my loads from there for maximum accuracy.

Agreed.

Starting your loading out at .030 off the lands is a bit too far. Depending on the bullet, I start at .010 or .005 off the lands.

As for crimping....I've never crimped a bullet because none of the bullets I shoot have a cannelure.

Forgive my newness, but that gives me a COAL of 3.5" which is .160 over the book value. Sound right? I am sure it is but just check'n. Also I guess that would make the 81gr load a non-compressed load as it is compressed with their dimensions.

Forgive my newness, but that gives me a COAL of 3.5" which is .160 over the book value. Sound right? I am sure it is but just check'n. Also I guess that would make the 81gr load a non-compressed load as it is compressed with their dimensions.

Sounds as though you are working with a factory rifle and barrel. Typically factory rifles have long throats in them. I had a Rem700 in 308 and the throat on it was very long. When I seated 175grain VLDs so they were .010 off the lands there was barely .250 of the bullet in the case. Factory specs on the 308 says the COAL should be 2.80" and my load was 3.XXX (can't remember exactly).

This is a long way to say that I can't say if COAL of 3.5" in your rifle is 'right'. (what cartridge are you reloading?). What I can say is that it is not surprising especially if we are talking about a factory rifle. Also, having a long COAL would only really be a problem if the COAL exceeds the length that will fit in your magazine. In the case of my 308, the COAL didn't matter to me because I single loaded the rifle anyway.

The beauty of being able to seat your bullets way out there, is that it does give you more case capacity.

It is a factory barreled rifle and last night I seated a bullet to .010 off the lands and chambered it. It fit the mag fine, with room to spare, and chambered just fine. I will be working up the load today and will post my results. Thanks for the help.

Well for my first loads I decided to start with a ladder test and saw 2 very distinct nodes. One at 77-78gr, 2960fps'ish with a 10fps spread, group about .75". The second at 79-80gr,3070fps'ish with a 16fps spread and and a dime size group. Went and loaded for the lower load and then it started raining so it will have to wait.

Finally got htis load worked up. Real happy with the 100yd performance looking forward to next weekend to try it out at 200 and maybe a little further if I feel like dragging the steel target out. A picture is worth 1000 words so.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 52
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.