New project/ is 300wsm enough? Input much appreciated

Here is a pic of my 300wsm project, this is how it came minus my varmint bipods.

Attachments

• 300wsm.jpg
    300wsm.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 55
If you already have a 7 RUM, your 30 cal prejudice is getting in the way of a more potent build. That 7 is going to carry more energy, flatter and do the same damage on deer an elk at extended ranges.

Not prejudice at all i just really like the .30's and this 7 rum is way to pretty to be torn apart for me anyway, this is my first project on a custom gun but probaly wont be my last just wanted to start with a .30 caliber.

Do you think it would be the better option for this gun, kinda stuck between it, the muscle brake, and the painkiller?
They are extremely effective brakes, but I just can't see myself sticking something that looks that dorky on the end of one of my rifles.

The next brake I buy will be the TTI eliminator and I'll put one on each my 7mm STW and 300 Rum.

The PK and Muscle Brakes both have a huge following here, but based on the testing I've seen I don't see either as being better or more effective than the TTI.

The Vias varmint brake is another one I really like design wise.

Not prejudice at all i just really like the .30's and this 7 rum is way to pretty to be torn apart for me anyway, this is my first project on a custom gun but probaly wont be my last just wanted to start with a .30 caliber.
The one you have listed on the classifieds here is indeed pretty. However a gun is just a tool. If it were me and I were in your shoes I'd send it to a good smith have it trued, put in a new barrel and make a nice 300 Rum out of it.

IMO forget the muzzle brake for now. Really not needed for the WSM (only have and have had about 7-8 of them). BVSS has more than enough weight to manage a WSM unless you are really recoil sensitive. Plus lot of money for factory barrel. When/if you rebarrel consider then.

Go with good pillar bedding of the action with a trued recoil lug first thing.

Get on the list to have fred at Sharp Shooter Supply true the action. Last I knew 7-12 month wait and he emails you when to send it in.

Not sure if Wyatts makes an extended mag box for the Savage, but would go for that with the bedding.

WSM shines with bullets 168 to 210 grains. I would go with those first before the 225 Hornady or the 230 Berger.

Powders, are Norma MRP, H4350 and RL17 with standard LR primers in winchester or norma brass.

BH

IF... you should send it away, I would suggest Kevin Rayhill at Stockade Stocks. He is a Savage specialty guy too. I have been able to ask any question I wanted and have gotten an answer. Every time I have called SSS, I get an answering machine and no replies to my emails. I stopped trying to use him a year ago. I have heard good and bad about him, but I've learned how to work on Savage's myself.

Tank

Yea that means alot to me as well, i called center shot rifles today and talked to the owner, super nice guy and answered several questions that i had and because of his people skills and the time he took to talk to me just got another rifle to work on for sure and the word of mouth goes a long way good or bad, have tried to ask some questions to others and not even one question, going to try to get a piece of plywood and something smooth to test rifle before i send it off and again once i get it back to compare.

download

Here is my updated project gun and here is what has been done to it.

Jim at centershot rifles installed 4port muscle brake, trued the action, and installed new recoil lug.

TPS 20MOA Base

SWFA SS 20X Scope

SWFA 6 screw Tactical 30mm Rings

Pillar Blocked

Epoxy Bedded

I just got it back from my local smith from pillar blocking and epoxy bedding it a few days ago, i have shot the rifle and it has about the recoil of my ruger m77vt in 22-250, i had 1/2 box factory winchester grey box 150grainers i wanted to get out of the brass before i started working up a load and at 115 yards i shot a 3 shot group at .75, my brother and nephews was intimidated by the size of the rifle until i convinced one of them to shoot it and there reply was it dont kick at all. They shot pretty close to in my group and there lefty's. I have all my cases empty and some 190 smk's on the way to try and fresh pound of H4350 waiting. Will try to get a load developed and get some pics of a more distance shooting group.

If you see or think of anything that i could do to help my project shoot better please let me know, also looking for a place to buy a tactical bolt knob. thanks james

I've got a savage 12 bvss in 300 wsm and absolutely love it! I don't have a brake on mine, its got alil more muzzle rise than I like but not much kick...I got 60 rounds of winchester 150 grain silvertips for Christmas, so far I've only put 22 rounds down the tube putting it on paper and just some general plinking,oh and one crow at 300 yards... so far I've gone out to 668 yards and even with the factory ammo its dead on...it was already broke in and bedded when I bought it, and the recoil lug measures very true( can't remember the exact measurements) I've clipped one coil off the trigger spring n got it down where I like it....love me some accutrigger!

Try 63.2 grains of h4350 and get ya some nosler 180 grain ballistic tips....according to Mike(mkg) my rifle would put 3 touching each other @200 yards...

Most of the guys at Williamsport are shooting H 4350 or 4007 SSC, Everybody is shooting 210 Bergers, mostly VLDS. Bountyhunter told me about another powder that gives more velocity but i can't recall what it was. The H 4350 has good velocity and is very accurate. I broke 4 world records and 2 club records with my WSM light and heavy guns. Also the 210 Berger VLD seems to work good on deer. The 300 WSM doesn't have enough case to shoot the 230 fast enough. Matt

Most of the guys at Williamsport are shooting H 4350 or 4007 SSC, Everybody is shooting 210 Bergers, mostly VLDS. Bountyhunter told me about another powder that gives more velocity but i can't recall what it was. The H 4350 has good velocity and is very accurate. I broke 4 world records and 2 club records with my WSM light and heavy guns. Also the 210 Berger VLD seems to work good on deer. The 300 WSM doesn't have enough case to shoot the 230 fast enough. Matt
I'm wondering how much better the new 215 would be over the 210's. Did you shoot the 2.8" group at Williamsport?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.