New project/ is 300wsm enough? Input much appreciated

Most of the guys at Williamsport are shooting H 4350 or 4007 SSC, Everybody is shooting 210 Bergers, mostly VLDS. Bountyhunter told me about another powder that gives more velocity but i can't recall what it was. The H 4350 has good velocity and is very accurate. I broke 4 world records and 2 club records with my WSM light and heavy guns. Also the 210 Berger VLD seems to work good on deer. The 300 WSM doesn't have enough case to shoot the 230 fast enough. Matt

Define fast enough. I am able to push them to 2700 fps in the 300 WSM with fantastic accuracy at an OAL of 3.010 and I am still able to cycle the rounds through the magazine. My go to powder with this combo is IMR 7828SSC. I realize that not all actions will accomodate this OAL but it works great in my FN built M70 action.

At 2700 fps I experience less wind deflection and higher energy than the 210 fired 125 fps faster.

Liltank i shot the 10 shots in 2.815. We are shooting them about 2850. The one shooter told me he shot the 230 at 2600 and that was all he could get with H4350. I shoot the 210's 20 thous in. I don't know if you can do it with most actions. I use a model M bat and single shot. Matt Dienes is using 215's and shooting real good with them. I just know the 210 VLD is really accurate and will open on deer. Matt

Liltank i shot the 10 shots in 2.815. We are shooting them about 2850. The one shooter told me he shot the 230 at 2600 and that was all he could get with H4350. I shoot the 210's 20 thous in. I don't know if you can do it with most actions. I use a model M bat and single shot. Matt Dienes is using 215's and shooting real good with them. I just know the 210 VLD is really accurate and will open on deer. Matt

That's probably about right for H4350. I found I had to go with a bit slower powder to get the velocity up to 2700 in my 24" bbl with the 230. I'm sure you could really get them going with a longer tube.

I may experiment with H1000 charging the cases with a drop tube.

Thanks to all the comments and loaing data, im really excited to get my bullets in to do some reloading for it, just want to ask how fast does the VLD's have to be going to be effective on say whitetail or elk? Just been looking at some drop charts at various sites and gseven seems to be good friendly one, but with the drop charts it give you the velocity and should give me range where not to take shot if i know at what velocity the bullet dont open up, anyway feel like im stumbling to get out what i mean, any help will be much thanked, thanks james

Google Jbm balistics calculator. It's free. Just enter your load info/b.c. etc & it will calc you a drop chart, velocity, & energy, wind drift, etc. as well as crossing the soundbarrier.
It's not perfect, but its very close to real life if you give it enough data to work with.

If you go with the common Minimum of 1500 ft lbs energy for Elk, & 1000 ft lbs for deer, you'll be able to more accurately predict your personal cut off point.
Good luck.

""If you go with the common Minimum of 1500 ft lbs energy for Elk, & 1000 ft lbs for deer, you'll be able to more accurately predict your personal cut off point.
Good luck."""

Ok thanks thats what i was wanting, and thanks to all again for help and support, my bullets got lost in transit hope they appear soon, ready to get started to see how far im worthy of shooting(hopefully i can shoot out to 800, feel like the gun is very worthy past my range by far) but hey thats where the fun of practice takes place.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.