New project advice!!

way-out

ok I will start off with saying I am new but have been reading everybody stuff for about 1 year. I just can't soke up enough. I have one custom rig a 30-.338 that I have learned so much with. when I had this gun biult I didn't even own any reloading equipment. now I've got the bug and gotta have another.

Ok so this is the direction I am going. I know it will be a 300wsm. I know I want it to be a tactical type but not so much as for hunting big game. I want to be able to make a 1k shot on a p-pupy but will mostly shoot it at paper. I want a 26" barrel. probably Hart or Lija. I really like a pic I seen of a Hart with a "snake belly finish" I want a Titanium action but might settle for less. I see Remington is making a Ti 700 so I might rip one down for this gun. I allso want a stock that I can adjust the butt and cheeck part on. as for the scope. I have not a clue. I am just starting to read on the Burris and Nightforce. I actually know very little about them. But I know one thing I will be using Badger mnts. and rings to anchor it.I will be biulding this one as I get the money so money won't be as big of deal as doing it RIGHT. I am allso kicking the idea around of a custom action. oh ya I will probably be shooting a 180 - 200 grn bullit. I know very little about them and that is something I am hoping someone can help me with.

so my questions are

lets get some ideas on scopes and why you think it would be the scope for my new rig.

what about the action. where can I get a custom Ti action biult?

what about stocks can some one point me at some that might be what I am looking for.

and the big question in my head is can some one give me an idea of how to improve a 300wsm chamber? is that possible to do. I'm sure some one has found some kinda change to make that will help some.

thanks for all the help.

Kris
grin.gif

ON THE SCOPE ISSUE, GET THE NIGHTFORCE. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN DOING IT "RIGHT" THEY ARE THE WAY TO GO. I HAVE SEVERAL. THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH THEM IS THAT ONCE YOU HAVE ONE EVERYTHING ELSE YOU OWN WILL SEEM LIKE JUNK.
ON THE STOCKS MCMILLAN AND HS PRECISION BOTH OFFER A GOOD MULTI ADJUSTABLE TACTICAL STYLE STOCK.
ON THE 300 WSM CHAMBER, AND I RUN INTO THIS ALL OF THE TIME, I BUILD 25+ CUSTOM RIFLES A YEAR AND QUITE OFTEN A CUSTOMER WILL MAKE THE MISTAKE OF PICKING A CARTRIDGE THAT WON'T DO WHAT THEY WANT. IF THE WSM IS LACKING IN POWER I REALLY RECCOMEND THAT YOU TAKE A HARD LOOK AT AN ULTRA MAG OR SOMETHING SIMILAR. MOST CHAMBER IMPROVEMENTS ARE LOW YEILD FOR THE WORK INVOLVED, IF NOTHING ELSE BIGGER IS AVAILABLE FINE, BUT FROM THE WSM THERE IS A WIDE SELECTION OF ROUNDS TO FIT YOUR NEEDS.

Way-out,

I agree with Shawn that the if you are going to do this right, the nightforce is by far the best option for the money.

There are other scopes out there for more money but for shooting out to 1500 yards I would highly recommend the 5.5-22x NXS model.

Do not get fooled into going with one of the higher power scopes as most of the time you can not use more then 22x anyway because of mirage.

Also, the 5.5-22 has vastly more vertical adjustment then the 8-32 or 12-42 model and it is much more forgiving in eye releif and eye positioning.

I have seen 50 cal bullet holes on target at 1000 yards with this scope, it is a good one.

Next, I have to ask why you are wedded to the Ti ation?

As a gunsmith I will tell you these actions are much tricker to blue-print because of the special requirements needed for machining Ti compared to the 4130-4140 chrome-moly or 416 stainless steels generally used in rifles.

They are lighter in weight but comparing the weight of a Ti Rem 700 action to a regular action will only cut you ounces in weight, not a big deal.

My favorite action to use on my custom extreme accuracy rifles if I will be using a factory action is the Rem 700 ADL if you can believe it.

The action is exactly the same as the BDL except for the mag boz set up and teh stock for the ADL is much stiffer with its solid bottom design making it much more rigid which translates into consistancy and accuracy over the BDL version.

As far as custom actions go, I do not know where you can get a custom Ti action.

Get ahold of McMillan and and they will have anything you could want in a tactical style stock. These are in my opinion the best stocks on the market but they are spendy and you will have a 12 week wait, no real biggy.

H-S Precision also offers some quality tactical style stocks for a little less money but they tend to not balance as well as the McMillan since you can have balast added to them from the factory for perfect balance that bolts on!

You can improve the WSM case slightly with a bit less body taper and sharpening the shoulder to 40 or 45 degrees. You really do not gain much though in ral case capacity. You may control case stretching a bit better but with its relatively sharp shoulder as is, this is not a real problem to start with.

I would just recommend to throat the rifle to allow the bullets to be seated just to the base of the neck. This may require a long action but in my Extreme Accuracy rifles I prefer to use a barrel bedding block system and float the action totally. In this design, it makes no difference between short action and long action as far as action rigidity goes.

Bullet selection will be important for 1000 yard shooting. The 180 gr bullets will certainly reach out to 1000 yards but I would much prefer the 200 gr VLD designs and the 220's would be even better at 1000 yards for bucking the wind.

Don't really care about bullet drop, that is easy to figure, but wind drift is a killer and the higher B.C. the better for this range and out.

That said, in the 26" barrel you want, I can not recommend the 240 gr Sierra MK because I feel the velocity will be quite low out of the 300 WSM to be of any benefit over the 200 and 220 gr versions.

I like to get at least 2800 fps for my extreme range rifles and the WSM would come close with the 200 gr version in a 26" barrel and the 220 gr version would not be to far off.

Barrel wise, I use Lilja on all of my custom rifles unless the customer wants something different. I am not saying that Dan's barrels are alot better then other top end barrels but he is a local Montana boy and his barrels are true BR quality so I use them. Have never been unhappy with the quality of his barrels on my personal rifles or those for customers. They just flat shoot, every one.

I will say you amy not get extreme velocity for a give round with his barrels because they are built very tight bored, but accuracy is amazing and I will take that over velocity any day.

The Badger mounts are top quality and will never let you down.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Actually, I would have to say, a Mcmillan stock deserves better than a Nesika action
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

anywho -- mcmillan A5. BAT action of their recomendation.

WSM will get you to 1000-1200 on deer sized stuff and probably reliably to 1500 on p-dogs.

if you really want to reach out though, the RUM or 30-338Lapua would do nicely zinging 240's at 3000+

JB

[ 09-30-2004: Message edited by: jb1000br ]

I won't jump into the gun or chambering side of things but will make a recommendation on the scopes turrets.Get the turrets made by Kenton industries that are tuned for your load.They come laser etched to any yardage that is possible with your combination and work extremely well.Use a laser rangefinder not mildots or best guess and simply turn the turret to your yardage without any delays or calculating.My father used a calibrated turret this year instead of a range card and his success was very good.
Lynn

jb1000br -- If flexible, heavy, and crooked are your Idea of a fine stock...buy a Mcmillan.
shocked.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

I own both, and Lone Wolf wins hands down, and I doubt you have ever owned one.

Bat does make a fine action, one of the best.

thanks guys for all the help. I din't expect this much good stuff.

No I'm not really stuck on a Ti action it's just something different and that is the way I allways like to do things. do them right and with a different twist than what the average guy might.

i know I want the 300wsm I don't need anthing bigger . like I said I have a 30-338. After the 300 wsm is done I think I will go really big. Like a long barrled (36" + or -) .338 300 grn shooting cannon. but that is later . I gotta get my P-dog at 1k first.
so it looks like the Lija barrel and NightForce is going to be what I am going to go with.

Now an action is still up in the air I am 50-50 on a Ti action maybe the sticker will shock me into a normal action. I know I don't like SS. I don't know why but I don't like them. doe anybody know of any other custom action makers that biuld an awsome action. Ti or Steel?

that picture is what I am looking for. more of a fancy paint not something for hiding in the woods. and maybe a thumb through stock allso.

thanks
Kris

I own the 5.5-22x NXS model. I also own a 6X24 56mm. In my opinion the best 1000 yard shooting is really done with 32X or 40X

My wildcat 28 inch target barrel 7mm STW was built by a guy doing 1000 yard competition and it never performed up to what he wanted so I bought and he moved up to the .50's in the 35 pound class.

If your going to have a barrel built I am one of the #1 believers in long barrels. My next gun planned is going for a 30 inch maybe even 32 in a 338 Lapua.

I spent a full day this summer in South Dakota and shot @500 rounds at the poodles. You really need 28+ inch barrels to burn the slow powders like r-22 7828 H-1000 R-25 MRP

Nesika Bay will build you a custom Ti action, the best made. The NXS scope is the way to go. If only target shooting, go with the higher power (32 or 42). If shooting game also, go with the 22 power. Lilja makes good barrels, so does Kreiger and a few others. Lone Wolf makes stronger lighter and straighter stocks than Mcmillan, a custom Ti action deserves better than a Mcmillan.

300 WSM
Rem 700 SS, SA
Rock 24" #7 Fluted Barrel, 11 twist
OPS Inc. break
McMillan A5
Wyatt Mag Box

Badger metal all around

Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 R2 ret.

Smithed by Chris Matthews

shoots 190 SMK's into .2 or less at 2900 fps. and holds 1/2 MOA to 1000 yards.

[ 10-01-2004: Message edited by: Ric Horst ]

Ric--you might as well just put that description in your sig line
wink.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

did you mean .5MOA at 1k or has that thing started shooting better than it was???

JB

JB.. oops.. yup it holds .5 moa to 1K.. hell it shoots better than I ever will....

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.