New project!! .30 LR Rifle

If you look at the OAL shown on this chart you will also see the Accubond needs seating a couple of thousandths deeper than SAAMI specs.
With Wyatt boxes, I can get to 4" OAL. According to QL, with 90.3gn of R25 you fill 99.7% of the case, the powder is compressed with the bullet. With H1000, the scenario should be worse, but I should check how it fits into the case.
Maybe a custom reamer is convenient to free up space, pulling out the bullet. What do you think?
For both the RUM and the Sherman, I have to mechanize the action (more for the RUM), so I could use the Wyatt longest box, and achieve a more elegant solution.

With Wyatt boxes, I can get to 4" OAL. According to QL, with 90.3gn of R25 you fill 99.7% of the case, the powder is compressed with the bullet. With H1000, the scenario should be worse, but I should check how it fits into the case.
Maybe a custom reamer is convenient to free up space, pulling out the bullet. What do you think?
For both the RUM and the Sherman, I have to mechanize the action (more for the RUM), so I could use the Wyatt longest box, and achieve a more elegant solution.
I have one on my build but it is totally unnecessary for Accubond LR bullets as previously mentioned. I was originally planning on shooting Berger's, hence the Wyatt's. I definitely would put it into your build.

I have one on my build but it is totally unnecessary for Accubond LR bullets as previously mentioned. I was originally planning on shooting Berger's, hence the Wyatt's. I definitely would put it into your build.
I thought so. 2 + 1 rnds. Actually good hunters need only one :cool:

parts list for me for a LR hunting RIG would be
BAT HR SINGLE SHOT
MANNERS EH1A CARBON
28" HELIX 6 hunter plus CARBON 1-9 TWIST
TT DIAMOND
ATLAS 5H BIPOD
The 300 RUM without a dought is the best available commercial/non commercial round made on a mag bolt face.
you get a 113 -115gr water capacity depending on brass!! what other cartridge does that on a mag bolt face?? That's why so many people hate it 😂😂😂 hell it makes "super efficient" wild cats have to run 80k PSI to get close 😁 !! which in turn is hammering on your action and you wont know it until your action is ruined!!

There will and always be 300 RUM haters and that's fine, I like that! I personally will continue to reap the benefits of its larger factory case, factory ammo in droves, brass made from every manufacturer, no silly fire forming for no beneficial gain, brass life as good as any mentioned etc, etc, etc.!! Hell it was made in the late 90's and dudes are still trying to out do it and they just cant stand old tech whoopin em!! 😁

When H1K @65-70K psi( my absolute favorite) is used it will be the king as well as any other powder you throw at it for that matter,, there is no replacement for displacement!!!! PERIOD!!! Remember one can run any case at extreme max and get good accuracy and scorching velocity 75K plus,, but most consistent and extreme low ES comes from a few grains below max!!
So this is where the large case cap comes in. You can lope along a 245 berger @3000fpsi with extreme accuracy low ES and repeatable ELR accuracy from day to day with no stress, where others are strained, using high nitroglycerine content powders! ha ha also when a speed claim comes with a max and then followed by ""But i wouldn't suggest running that"" be afraid LOL!!!
Can it be made in a wyatts CFE9 Of course and They work very very well and they feed spectacularly have for many years ... but in this case where your dedicating a rifle with an 1.250 straight tube 32" for a strict LR rig weight is your friend so add it on, that's why i suggested the single shot throating for the bullet to be outta the powder column and all that jazz! Oh and even when the bullet is in the case a little bit it will still outperform them when all variables are equal!
The 220 Hornadly ELD X sits above the neck shoulder junction @4.003" but i would suggest eyeing the new 245 Berger and the big sierra, when you start reaching sub sonic you'll see the benefit of the more streamlined berger/sierra. Trust me you can load a round pretty dam fast in a Single flipper if needed!!
Compare all rounds with same powder say H1K and you"ll see the clear winner! you cant throw TNT in one and a blasting cap in the other and call it a fair comparison!
All of the "more efficient coined rounds" seam to always have to run a double based powder to attain these "efficient" velocities and are dirtier than hooker on Fremont street! many a 300 rum, 338 edge, 338 ultra with 800 plus rounds of h1k never cleaned and still consistent low ES and scary accuracy out there!!

always fun to play with new rounds, hell im guilty of a crap ton of used once reamers!! but i will always have a 300 rum in the safe!! or TWO 😁
Wow that was a mouth full..
A 32" truck gun sounds fun but in a hunting setup what's the recoil like?
Have you shot your 300 RUM enough to get an idea of barrel life?

Wow that was a mouth full..
A 32" truck gun sounds fun but in a hunting setup what's the recoil like?
Have you shot your 300 RUM enough to get an idea of barrel life?

Ehh not really that's just points being delivered!! 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂

recoil is very mild for what its doing!
And yes I've shot probably more 300 Rum rounds than most people have shot 22lr rounds HA HA HA it is my favorite!!

barrel life will be over a 1000 rounds with H1k if your smart about it!!! have two right now ... one had right at 1200 documented 230@3155fps rounds was shooting really good started having a flyer here and there and slowing down, that ones life was pretty hard though and its been spun up on another proof but 28" this time. fed through a waytts CFE9 mag box.
And another bartlein 5R that has 975 documented that was taken off put on another action and is still shooting 1/4" 230@3105 fed through a 3.850 mag box
traded out for a 28" proof for the 245 eol! and that just those two!

the thing about it is,, use your brain and think "ok so i want the most i can get with the most reliable components and not have to use a powder that is highly volatile to obtain said numbers" enter why i choose to value every cartridge off of H1k arguably the most reliable and consistent powder made!

Last edited:
I need your help to complete the comparison table, with the most reliable / real info possible.
We can add fields, modify them, etc. Feel free to suggest what you want. Thanks

300 RUM30 SHERMAN MAG
Case capacity (gr) of water11497-99
Magnum Bolt Face (max .550)yes . 534yes .532
MAX OAL - long bullets 220ELX3.8/3.9" est.3.77" est.
H1000 compatibleyesyes**
26" 1:9.4 compatibleyesyes
Estimated Bolt trhust66,139 N (14,869 lbf)56,230 N (12,640 lbf)****
Top action mod for Wyatt boxyesno
bottom action mod for Wyatt boxyesyes
custom users speeds fs - conservative3100+3000***
max Pressure psi6500065000
custom reamer to specsyesyes
fireformingnoyes
special scope base mountyes *no
max box capacity2+1?
barrel life 1000+ (users experience)yes?
bullet grip height (neck height).306".3076"
case life #firings5+?
* wyatt box mod forces to modify rear bridge for 4" OAL.
Long Picatinny rail solution.
** is not the optimal powder
*** estimada
**** 300win value

Last edited:
I need your help to complete the comparison table, with the most reliable / real info possible.
We can add fields, modify them, etc. Feel free to suggest what you want. Thanks

300 RUM30 SHERMAN MAG
Case capacity (gr) of water11497-99
Magnum Bolt Face (max .550)yes . 534yes .532
MAX OAL - long bullets 220ELX3.8/3.9" est.3.77" est.
H1000 compatibleyes**yes**
26" 1:9.4 compatibleyesyes
Estimated Bolt thrust66,139 N (14,869 lbf)56,230 N (12,640 lbf)****
Top action mod for Wyatt boxyesyes
bottom action mod for Wyatt boxyesyes
custom users speeds fs - conservative3100+3000***
max Pressure psi6500065000
custom reamer to specsyesyes
fireformingnoyes
special scope base mountnono
max box capacity2+1?
barrel life 1000+ (users experience)yes?
bullet grip height (neck height)??
case life #firings5+?
* wyatt box mod forces to modify rear bridge. Long Picatinny rail solution.
** is not the optimal powder
*** estimada
**** 300win value

good idea
no need for ejection port or rail modifications for either the rounds will eject fabulous from a stock rem 700.
max psi has to be same to be fair comparison
In the wyatt video it says that to have a maximum OAL of 4" (CFE9), we need to remove 1/4" of the ejection port.
I am considering the use of future bullets longer than the current ones (250gn etc), when they appear.
With this machining, a Base like Talley lightweight or similar, would be left with an unsupported part, that's why I say it is solved with a picatinny rail.

In the wyatt video it says that to have a maximum OAL of 4" (CFE9), we need to remove 1/4" of the ejection port.
I am considering the use of future bullets longer than the current ones (250gn etc), when they appear.
With this machining, a Base like Talley lightweight or similar, would be left with an unsupported part, that's why I say it is solved with a picatinny rail.

no worries i gotcha

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.