New project!! .30 LR Rifle

Precision Rifle Ordinance,Swamplord wildcatter on this site.Dont know the specs but fits standard 700 action and he has 30,338,and 375 offerings that are suppose to edge out UMags.Hopefully somebody chime in.

Hello boys.
I have the following project in mind, and I'd love to hear your thoughts/opinions, in order to make it happen:
Build custom Rifle to consistently hit approximately 1000-1400y, based on .30 cal, and heavy for the caliber bullets: 220-250gn, G1 .700+ BC.
It does not matter the final weight of the rifle (target use mainly), nor the budget, nor the barrel life, if I can shoot more than 1000 is enough.
I have the following components that I would like to take advantage of:
- Trued R700 LA action.
- Jewell trigger
- PTG one piece bolt, with M16 extractor, custom fited to the action. (. 550 "bolt face).
- Badger 20MOA steel pic rail.
- Mcmillan Adj. Game Warden. Action bedded perfectly. Has pillars installed. Supports up to 1.25 "OD barrels. I could buy a chassis, but to start I think it would be ok.
- BDL hinged floor plate. I could put a DBM if necessary.
- more than 1000 220gn ELDX bullets, but that is not conditioning, because I can use them in other rifles. I would like to see them fly at more than 3000ps.
- Several pounds of H1000, but that is not conditioning either.

The components that I should buy:
- Barrel. I thought of a Straight 1.25" OD, 1: 8 Twist, 32"+ long, or the one that arises from the debate ...
- and optical, but does not enter this discussion.

The great question:
Which .30 cartridge to use?
- 300win mag ?, I'm bored with this one, but I have Redding custom dies / shell holders and all the case prep tools, etc.
- 300 RUM?
- 30 Sherman magnum?
- 30 Nosler? (.534" case head)
- 300 Norma Magnum? (need new bolt, .590 ")
- Another 300 ?, I hear you ...

Thank you very much for any valuable contribution you can make.
Regards
V
Wonderful! I love my RUM only thing is I am not sure if the RUM can push 220-250 over 3000? Best of luck with your new baby!

Sounds to me like you need to look into a Weatherby Threat Response. Save some money, they come right out of the box with the specs listed. Just pick a caliber, it will shoot better than all but a very few can shoot it.
My idea is to use the components that I have, and you're right ..., a Weatherby is not for everyone ..., I shot several times with a 340 ...., it loosens teeth, but spectacular !!

Precision Rifle Ordinance,Swamplord wildcatter on this site.Dont know the specs but fits standard 700 action and he has 30,338,and 375 offerings that are suppose to edge out UMags.Hopefully somebody chime in.
I'm going to check it 👍

Reasons? can you argue your advice?
If it were me I'd build a 30 Nosler. Will a 30-06 work? Sure. Will a 300 RUM work? Yep. How about that 308 Norma? Mmmm hmmmm. I like the design of the Nosler. I like the support for brass and components. Case capacity is good. I suppose for some, it may not be exotic ENOUGH. For me it would do anything you could want from a .308 projectile. But I don't need one...got my 300 H&H AI

If it were me I'd build a 30 Nosler. Will a 30-06 work? Sure. Will a 300 RUM work? Yep. How about that 308 Norma? Mmmm hmmmm. I like the design of the Nosler. I like the support for brass and components. Case capacity is good. I suppose for some, it may not be exotic ENOUGH. For me it would do anything you could want from a .308 projectile. But I don't need one...got my 300 H&H AI
Of all the options I am studying, the 30 Nosler is the one with the least information. I will investigate further.

300 PRC, 30-28 Nosler, 300 Norma, or 300 Norma Imp. I have them all except the 300 PRC. The 30-28 Nosler will push Berger 215 Hybrids 3050 fps, the 300 Norma with at straight 30" barrel with push the 215 Hybrids at 3150 fps, and the 300 Norma Imp will push the 215 Hybrid at 3150 in a Proof 26" barrel. Super accurate and easy to tune.

Good luck!

I have a 300 RUM build on a blue printed Remington 700 action and 30 inch stainless Lothor,Walther barrel in a 1-8 twist. Macmillan stock, Jewel trigger, Wyatt's long box magazine. It shoots 210gr Nosler Accubond LR @ 3308fps with. 311moa at 200 yards. Nightforce mount, rings and ATACR 7 X 35 X 56. Extra barrel length will increase your speed dramatically but I'm not sure about going to 32 inches as most powder will be gone by 28". It would behoove you to check out the burn rate of the powders you intend using before getting a barrel over 30 inches.
Good luck with your build!

All good choices. My vote is for the 30 Sherman Magnum. Rich has dies and ADG brass in stock. 245gr Berger at 3000fps. Can shoot factory 300 PRC if you want (at ~2880 w/ 225 ELDM). Will feed from a CIP length mag. The 300 RUM will beat it, but not by much, and in order to do so it'll have to single feed. If I didn't already have a 7mm Sherman Short and a 338 Sherman Short being built that's what I'd do...but I like short actions.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.