New project!! .30 LR Rifle

The 30-28nos is one of my favorites, if looking for other alternatives. Regarding throats, most smiths have throating reamers that can easily set your chamber exactly how you like it for chosen bullet.

I am going to have to back off on that statement......I was following a big discussion over at the Accurate Shooter website a while back. There were several smiths on there talking about extractors. Hell, they may have been talking about a Sako conversions. I can't remember.:( I can not find the thread, but I know that there were safety issues. I just can't tell you what they are and I have no first hand experiance with modified 700 bolts.

Sorry...carry on.:)
no problem.
Although I have not had any problem, I will investigate more about it.
Thank you

If you're serious about 220s at 3000fps being required, I'd look at the 300 RUM properly configured. I don't get the comments on single feeding. If I can make a 4" Wyatt's box feed a 338 Edge it should feed the 300RUM. Note this DOES require modification of the action by extending the mag feeding window backwards, and modifying the bolt stop to allow the bolt to come back further to pick up the back of the round. As I accomplished both of these modifications with a Dremel and ended up with a rifle that matches my custom F-Class competition gun for accuracy, I don't see why others couldn't do it.

What I don't get is the straight 1.25" barrel. Why the need? It doesn't increase your accuracy. My F-Class 284 has that barrel 32", my 338 Edge is Sendero contour 30" with a brake. They shoot the same accuracy. Unless you need a 25 shot string out of the rifle I see absolutely non need for the weight. My F-Class rifle is 22+ LBS and a PIA to move anywhere, my Edge is 14lbs and acceptable for hunting with a lot of walking.
I have no problem modifying the action, the bolt stop, and making the wyatt's box work. Maybe I will consult you before doing it, if it is complicated, and if I choose the RUM.
The barrel Straight thing is a prejudice of mine nothing more. I had a 308win with a 28" straight barrel that was extremely accurate. You're right about the weight, you need a truck to move the rifle.😁

I forgot to mention that I also have:
- CF Proof Sendero 26", 1:9.4 twist, 300winmag chambered.
- XCR TAC Remington 26", 1:10 twist, also chambered in 300winmag.
They are available to customize.

My 338 NM will push a 265 ABLR at 2950 with a 26" barrel. A 250 grain might make 3000 with the right powder choice and barrel length.

My vote would be for the 300 RUM with full disclosure. I have one and would be interested in seeing the end results. Of the mentioned cartridges, I believe components, and in my belief, if you should forget your handloads you are more likely to find 300 RUM factory loads than any of the others. That is taking into account that you said you are bored with the 300 WM.
Of course, just my two cents worth or maybe, my two sheets of TP.

I'd do a 300 RUM. Although, I'd consider a .300 PRC if I wanted more easily attainable factory ammo. You could also a Wyatt box in the RUM if you needed to seat long bullets out further. I have a .300 RUM and have no need for a PRC.

I'm a practical man, as such I look for the simplest solution to every problem. All things considered the 300 RUM is the simplest choice. It has the highest case capacity, doesn't require changing the action or bolt, has good brass availability and doesn't require fire forming. When Hornady announced the 250 Atip my mind went straight to the 300 Rum. Of course you will want to have a custom throat to accommodate the big bullets and then single feeding them is the simplest solution there as well. Since you are making a bench rifle single feeding is preferred anyway. Most all bench rifles are single feed actions. The stock you have is not one I would pick for the task. I think it would work, but I'd rather have an A5 or one with a more substantial fore-end to support the weight of the giant barrel you are planning on using. As to the barrel, the simple solution is that more inches equals more velocity. I'd get a long varmint or heavy Palma taper instead of a straight 1.25. The reason I would not use such a heavy barrel is that the Remington action has a tiny barrel tenon. The big target actions have much longer tenons to support those huge barrels. If you go with the 1.25" barrel I would consider getting a barrel block and bedding that instead of the action.

I know you'd have to get a new bolt, but the 300 Norma sure is impressive with the heavies.

brass is awesome - lapua

I'm pretty sure 3,100 fps with 230gr bergers is what guys are getting these days.

H1000, N570, etc on powders

*I have a 300 RUM, shooting 210gr vlds at 3,123 fps with an ES of 2 and have shot 3" groups at 1,000 yards with it. It's a hammer, even in a 7lb bare rifle it's not too much to handle.

My vote would be the Norma for a plinking rifle and barrel life, then the RUM for a dedicated hunting rig.

I'd do the Sherman. I'm looking at a 30 hunting rifle and will either do the 300 PRC or the Sherman Improved version. With that length barrel and the right powder should comfortably make your 3000fps with some wiggle room. Also an efficient design. The 300 PRC isn't going anywhere with the military picking it up and all the positive results.

My 338 NM will push a 265 ABLR at 2950 with a 26" barrel. A 250 grain might make 3000 with the right powder choice and barrel length.
for the moment I prefer to stay in the kingdom of the 30s

I have chambered several rifles in 30 Sherman Magnum. Very accurate, fast, efficient and easy to load for. It checks all of the boxes!
ADG brass headstamped 30 Sherman Magnum is available, Hornady competition bushing dies are available too. You can also shoot the 300 PRC factory ammo very accurately!! You can also shoot the 230 A- Tips, 245 EOL Bergers with a 9 twist barrel Easily and accurately. 95% of all of I have chambered have been on 26" Proof Research Sendero barrels.
I can't begin to tell you how great and versatile this chambering is.
It needs to be at the very top of your list for consideration.
If you have experience fireforming and working up brass for Ackley chambers or really any other Wildcat, it's a chip shot!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.