New project!! .30 LR Rifle

Of the ones you mentioned....300 RUM. No need to mess with the bolt, and with ADG and Bertrom making GREAT 338 EDGE brass, all you need to do to make PERFECT brass is neck them down to an exact crush fit (like forming dasher brass). 3000+, no belt, no bolt work. Simple.

Just my .02 (and I am a GINOMAS 300 WBY fan)

Tod

If willing to get a new bolt my vote would be a .30-338 lapua or the ackley improved version thereof. If not the .300 rum. 250 a-tips out of either should be interesting. The .300 win mag is so practical and therefore boring as you said, and I personally feel if 250s were on the table I'd want more powder capacity that the win mag, step on the gas a bit harder. The lapua based .30 probably has the best brass and the least hassle for a non-factory cartridge.

Of the ones you mentioned....300 RUM. No need to mess with the bolt, and with ADG and Bertrom making GREAT 338 EDGE brass, all you need to do to make PERFECT brass is neck them down to an exact crush fit (like forming dasher brass). 3000+, no belt, no bolt work. Simple.

Just my .02 (and I am a GINOMAS 300 WBY fan)

Tod
Or just buy Bertram 300 rum brass :) Rums are great single shot LR cartridges. Still haven't found a great feed system for properly throated 4" setups. I guess I just ain't smart enough to get the Wyatt boxes to work right

do a single shot 300 RUM leave the rest in the dust
What about the bullet placed inside the powder column?
I have read that this, unlike the 300 PRC, deteriorates performance. "The bullet can be bent or pushed off-axis, forcing the bullet to yaw prior to contact the barrel rifling".
A perfectly designed case would have the top of the bullet's boattail sitting right at the case's neck and shoulder junction. This keeps the bullet's bearing surface above the joint, but also keeps the bullet out of the powder column.
This is not the case with the 300 Rum case, which at a glance looks like the bullet gets into the case.
I am not sure how much this will affect the accuracy

I have read that this, unlike the 300 PRC, deteriorates performance. "The bullet can be bent or pushed off-axis, forcing the bullet to yaw prior to contact the barrel rifling".
A perfectly designed case would have the top of the bullet's boattail sitting right at the case's neck and shoulder junction. This keeps the bullet's bearing surface above the joint, but also keeps the bullet out of the powder column.
This is not the case with the 300 Rum case, which at a glance looks like the bullet gets into the case.
For every case on this list and that we are discussion you can have a reamer specced so that the bullet you want to shoot is sitting in the right spot.

the 300 prc does this with a saami chamber, but tons of smiths already have reamers for each of these other cartridges that will do it. On a custom build it's a non issue

my suggestion for a wsm is because you seem to be building a target rifle. for a 30 cal target gun to shoot just over 1k yards there Is no reason to burn an insane amount of powder, the wsm is a proven hammer

Last edited by a moderator:

True...the bullet "gets into the case"...but there is SO MUCH MORE CASE with the 300 RUM. It will still be faster than a Nosler and a PRC.

If willing to get a new bolt my vote would be a .30-338 lapua or the ackley improved version thereof. If not the .300 rum. 250 a-tips out of either should be interesting. The .300 win mag is so practical and therefore boring as you said, and I personally feel if 250s were on the table I'd want more powder capacity that the win mag, step on the gas a bit harder. The lapua based .30 probably has the best brass and the least hassle for a non-factory cartridge
good point, I'm going to study it.

30 Sherman is super efficient. Not sure if efficiency makes any difference in your decision.

But that brings up a necessary question for you to answer Velvet: Does the potential for fire forming brass turn you away? Or are you ok with fireforming for this project, if necessary?
I do a lot of fireforming with my 243ai. Don't laugh, but I find it very pleasant.
why you ask?

For every case on this list and that we are discussion you can have a reamer specced so that the bullet you want to shoot is sitting in the right spot.

the 300 prc does this with a saami chamber, but tons of smiths already have reamers for each of these other cartridges that will do it. On a custom build it's a non issue

my suggestion for a wsm is because you seem to be building a target rifle. for a 30 cal target gun to shoot just over 1k yards there Is no reason to burn an insane amount of powder, the wsm is a proven hammer
you're right, forget my comment in regards of powder column.
Yes, I want a target rifle that is capable of shoots the 220gn at more than 3000ps. Does the wsm achieve it?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.