New project!! .30 LR Rifle

Velvet

Hello boys.
I have the following project in mind, and I'd love to hear your thoughts/opinions, in order to make it happen:
Build custom Rifle to consistently hit approximately 1000-1400y, based on .30 cal, and heavy for the caliber bullets: 220-250gn, G1 .700+ BC.
It does not matter the final weight of the rifle (target use mainly), nor the budget, nor the barrel life, if I can shoot more than 1000 is enough.
I have the following components that I would like to take advantage of:
- Trued R700 LA action.
- Jewell trigger
- PTG one piece bolt, with M16 extractor, custom fited to the action. (. 550 "bolt face).
- Badger 20MOA steel pic rail.
- Mcmillan Adj. Game Warden. Action bedded perfectly. Has pillars installed. Supports up to 1.25 "OD barrels. I could buy a chassis, but to start I think it would be ok.
- BDL hinged floor plate. I could put a DBM if necessary.
- more than 1000 220gn ELDX bullets, but that is not conditioning, because I can use them in other rifles. I would like to see them fly at more than 3000ps.
- Several pounds of H1000, but that is not conditioning either.

The components that I should buy:
- Barrel. I thought of a Straight 1.25" OD, 1: 8 Twist, 32"+ long, or the one that arises from the debate ...
- and optical, but does not enter this discussion.

The great question:
Which .30 cartridge to use?
- 300win mag ?, I'm bored with this one, but I have Redding custom dies / shell holders and all the case prep tools, etc.
- 300 RUM?
- 30 Sherman magnum?
- 30 Nosler? (.534" case head)
- 300 Norma Magnum? (need new bolt, .590 ")
- Another 300 ?, I hear you ...

Thank you very much for any valuable contribution you can make.
Regards
V

My smith was just trying to talk me into one he has built many of over the last 30 years.....
30-338....
But I went with another 65284....
He did talk me into trying a brake on my new rifle...
And felt recoil was about a third....might end up getting one for this rifle...since I plan to shoot it a lot....

Probably need another bolt face but I'd go with the 30-378 route. With the barrel length you have mentioned you should easily reach your 3000 mark. I would think that it would handle those bullet weights easily enough also .
I would change the bolt but for a more efficient cartridge than the 30-378, perhaps the 300Norma mag, or something similar, and that will give me a greater barrel life margin, and with less powder, obtain the same speed / accuracy . What I have read about the 30-378 is that you have to be extremely careful with cleaning and avoiding excessive heating (as with other cartridges), but I don't feel like cleaning the barrel after every shot in the field. I initially discard this cartridge

30 Sherman is super efficient. Not sure if efficiency makes any difference in your decision.

But that brings up a necessary question for you to answer Velvet: Does the potential for fire forming brass turn you away? Or are you ok with fireforming for this project, if necessary?

30 Sherman is super efficient. Not sure if efficiency makes any difference in your decision.

But that brings up a necessary question for you to answer Velvet: Does the potential for fire forming brass turn you away? Or are you ok with fireforming for this project, if necessary?
Enter the 30 nosler!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.