New project!! .30 LR Rifle

I recently had the same requirements for my current build and went with the Norma. I looked at all those cartridges also.

Just change the bolt and your GTG.

These are the main factors which swayed me towards the Norma.

-It easily achieves the speeds your after flinging 225-230 weight bullets at 3000+
-it has amazing brass on offer from factory
-doesn't need to be fireformed in standard version
-barrel life is reasonable
-reloading for it is relatively easy and it doesn't seem to be fus
-you can buy decent factory ammo
-it's designed to shoot long pills even in SAMMI chamber (just like the 300 PRC.)

300 PRC was a close second due to its availability of factory ammo and modern design however it is a fair bit slower

.30 Sherman mag is awesome however I couldn't be bothered fire forming.
(If you are willing to fire form then go the 300 Norma mag improved and you then have the ability to shoot 230's past 3100 and possibly even get the 250's humming at 3000 or just under!

I recently had the same requirements for my current build and went with the Norma. I looked at all those cartridges also.

Just change the bolt and your GTG.

These are the main factors which swayed me towards the Norma.

-It easily achieves the speeds your after flinging 225-230 weight bullets at 3000+
-it has amazing brass on offer from factory
-doesn't need to be fireformed in standard version
-barrel life is reasonable
-reloading for it is relatively easy and it doesn't seem to be fus
-you can buy decent factory ammo
-it's designed to shoot long pills even in SAMMI chamber (just like the 300 PRC.)

300 PRC was a close second due to its availability of factory ammo and modern design however it is a fair bit slower

.30 Sherman mag is awesome however I couldn't be bothered fire forming.
(If you are willing to fire form then go the 300 Norma mag improved and you then have the ability to shoot 230's past 3100 and possibly even get the 250's humming at 3000 or just under!
Hi
You forgot to mention that within the virtues, its OAL allows you to use a standard box.
Are you talking about using the Remington action and just changing the bolt? If so, look at the bolt thrust values (I've rounded them up to graph it better):
56000 N for Win
66000 N for Rum
72000 N for Norma
I have read there, some Rem700 chambered in 300 Norma and they have not had any problems, it seems to me not very safe for my taste. I would use a more modern and robust construction action for the Norma Magnum. I clarify that I really like the cartridge, but this topic slows me down a bit.
Anyway, I'm going to study it a little more.
Have you seen if these values you mention are also achieved with H1000?

Last edited:
A few months ago I built a 300 RUM from a 7 RM on a R700 LA ADL.
I took the action to Issac Frank here in Indiana to do the machine work and thread the barrel for a Schuler brake.
I had bought a Wyatt 4" box and Issac machined the action for the 4" box. Fit perfect.
He trued the action. I had bought a new never fired take off factory barrel for $50. Issac treaded the muzzle and installed the brake.
He set the head space.
I dropped the complete action in a Remington factory black plastic ADL stock. I had to use my die grinder to gain clearance in the stock for the 4" box. Free floated the barrel. I can load one in the chamber and two in the magazine. Feeds perfect.
With the 200 Accubond my COAL is 3.8. With the 220 ELDX the coal is 3.86. Both shoot three shots around 1/2" at one hundred yards. Around 1" at 200 yards. About to stretch her out.
I put a Limbsaver recoil pad on her.
I went with the factory takeoff barrel to see if I liked the caliber. I did not want to sink a bunch of money into this rifle and find I did not like it. I found I love it!
Maybe later will have a custom barrel threaded on.
827F8808-74DB-4A25-A96F-7C5A425E47A6.jpeg
827F8808-74DB-4A25-A96F-7C5A425E47A6.jpeg

Hi
You forgot to mention that within the virtues, its OAL allows you to use a standard box.
Are you talking about using the Remington action and just changing the bolt? If so, look at the bolt thrust values (I've rounded them up to graph it better):
56000 N for Win
66000 N for Rum
72000 N for Norma
I have read there, some Rem700 chambered in 300 Norma and they have not had any problems, it seems to me not very safe for my taste. I would use a more modern and robust construction action for the Norma Magnum. I clarify that I really like the cartridge, but this topic slows me down a bit.
Anyway, I'm going to study it a little more.
Have you seen if these values you mention are also achieved with H1000?

Your absolutely correct, you can shoot norma from floor plates and magazines unlike a RUM!!

A few friends have been using H1000 in standard version norma and archiving 3050fps with 26" barrel shooting 230's. I know another guy shooting 3120 fps in standard Norma using a lot longer barrel.

I'm using a Defiance Deviant but... I did own a Rem700 Facotry 338 Lapua once upon a time and never had any issues so it can be done, and safely

A few months ago I built a 300 RUM from a 7 RM on a R700 LA ADL.
I took the action to Issac Frank here in Indiana to do the machine work and thread the barrel for a Schuler brake.
I had bought a Wyatt 4" box and Issac machined the action for the 4" box. Fit perfect.
He trued the action. I had bought a new never fired take off factory barrel for $50. Issac treaded the muzzle and installed the brake.
He set the head space.
I dropped the complete action in a Remington factory black plastic ADL stock. I had to use my die grinder to gain clearance in the stock for the 4" box. Free floated the barrel. I can load one in the chamber and two in the magazine. Feeds perfect.
With the 200 Accubond my COAL is 3.8. With the 220 ELDX the coal is 3.86. Both shoot three shots around 1/2" at one hundred yards. Around 1" at 200 yards. About to stretch her out.
I put a Limbsaver recoil pad on her.
I went with the factory takeoff barrel to see if I liked the caliber. I did not want to sink a bunch of money into this rifle and find I did not like it. I found I love it!
Maybe later will have a custom barrel threaded on.View attachment 185229View attachment 185229
Nice !!!
Could you measure speeds? It is a fact that interests me a lot in this instance.

Your absolutely correct, you can shoot norma from floor plates and magazines unlike a RUM!!

A few friends have been using H1000 in standard version norma and archiving 3050fps with 26" barrel shooting 230's. I know another guy shooting 3120 fps in standard Norma using a lot longer barrel.

I'm using a Defiance Deviant but... I did own a Rem700 Facotry 338 Lapua once upon a time and never had any issues so it can be done, and safely
Good info!
Those are the speeds that I am looking for !!
Those friends that you mention, in what actions are they using the 300Norm mag ?. That data interests me. If everyone is with Defiance actions, there must be a reason.
It is also true what you say in relation to Remington and all its 700 rifles that it has manufactured in 338LM and that they do not have problems, or we have not known them.
What a dilemma! I like the 3 options that I am analyzing
Thanks for the info you provide.

Velvet I center shot my chrony a few months back with my 264 win Mag. I've yet to replace it.
The 200 Accubond load has 94 grains of Retumbo. The 220 ELDX is using 89 grains of Retumbo.
I wish I could get you FPS however I'm about to have surgery and will be out of commission for a while.

Velvet I center shot my chrony a few months back with my 264 win Mag. I've yet to replace it.
The 200 Accubond load has 94 grains of Retumbo. The 220 ELDX is using 89 grains of Retumbo.
I wish I could get you FPS however I'm about to have surgery and will be out of commission for a while.
Don't worry Netman, you've given me valuable info right now. I thank you and I wish that you pass your surgery in the best possible way, and that you recover, so you pass those speeds to me ;) ;) 👍👍💪

Ones a BAT ones using a defiance.

I'm in Australia But pretty sure the US military used rem700's when they went lapua for years? No reported issues so it's possible, mite not be as safe as a custom but can be done. Just don't push it too hard

Ones a BAT ones using a defiance.

I'm in Australia But pretty sure the US military used rem700's when they went lapua for years? No reported issues so it's possible, mite not be as safe as a custom but can be done. Just don't push it too hard

The bolt I should buy is the PTG with Lapua .590 bolt face. I'm going to look for more information about its behavior with this cartridge.

A19E0282-0F43-4A2D-9B5B-20CEB3473C29.jpeg

Velvet here is an additional photo of the 220 ELDX 3.86". It also shows the bolt going further to the rear due to the bolt stop being notched out.

Attachments

• 300305DF-0DB0-42CF-8E41-2478AECE4AAA.jpeg
    300305DF-0DB0-42CF-8E41-2478AECE4AAA.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 99
With Wyatt boxes, I can get to 4" OAL. According to QL, with 90.3gn of R25 you fill 99.7% of the case, the powder is compressed with the bullet. With H1000, the scenario should be worse, but I should check how it fits into the case.
Maybe a custom reamer is convenient to free up space, pulling out the bullet. What do you think?
For both the RUM and the Sherman, I have to mechanize the action (more for the RUM), so I could use the Wyatt longest box, and achieve a more elegant solution.
WHY handicap the full potential of a cartridge and have to base everything on your case length to fit a box ??? There are a pain on a long range rig IMO. Its one shot at a time . Plus they feed better and the bolt runs smoother. I pack single shots all the time for deer , antelope and elk and never regretted not having box. Laying on the ground shooting off a bipod or off the bench it takes 2 seconds to throw another round in if needed. Never need to shoot that fast at long range hunting or steel shooting to warrant a repeater. Also don't have to worry about smashing bullet tips. Load them long and get your moneys worth. I would rather use that money for optics or bullets.

View attachment 185313
Velvet here is an additional photo of the 220 ELDX 3.86". It also shows the bolt going further to the rear due to the bolt stop being notched out.
Great, plenty of room.
I ask you why I don't remember ... did your gunsmith machine the rear bridge (extraction window)? I can't see well in the photo you send.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.