new press advice

jimbires

I'm going to buy a new press . the press I'm using now is a 30 year old lyman turret . it has a short opening ,only about 3.25 inches , and no compound linkage I would like to get one stout enough to reform brass , just incase it's needed in the future . I like the turret top , but it's not necessary , so I'm thinking about the redding T-7 , and also looking at the redding ultra-mag . both of these have 4.75 inch openings . anybody have one of these presses ? have you checked the runout on your ammo ? is a turret top ok or does it cause runout ? or what press would you buy ? I've read some of the older threads on here and the co-ax gets mentioned often .how big is the opening on the co-ax press ? thanks Jim

Even tho I dont own a Co-Ax, yet :), I would agree with Tyler on this. I used his Co-Ax to size some 45-120 brass that we shot and you can really use just one finger and size them. And the opening is big enough for any round that is out today. You would just have to get different set of jaws to do the bigger rounds. -Jake-

:rolleyes: To everyone greetings! I am also in the market for a new press. I am loading for a remmington .300 winmag. I can't make my mind up (what little there is) between the forster co-ax model-B or the redding ultra-mag. I wanted to get away from having to angle case and bullet into the die. I know that the ultra-mag will be no problem, but from what I have read about the Co-Ax it is suppose to be the most accurate press as far as concentricty(probably not spelled correctly) goes. Is the ultra-mag a good press seating bullets as the Co-Ax. I am using redding comp dies. Thanks in advance for any advice.gun)

I bought the redding T-7 . it seems to be very well built . I've only loaded about 50 or 60 rounds , so far , but it seems to work well . I don't watch my runout so I can't comment on that . Jim

Thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate it. Have been leaning towards the redding ultra-mag, because of not having to angle loads into the die,However if the co-ax was super super great about run-out I might of bit the bullet(no pun intended) and put up with having to feed rounds into the die. Thanks Rickgun)

Good choice on the t7 , its the biggest ,strongest turrert press around i use both it and the redding big boss, im very picky about neck and bullet runout and the t7 wont introduce these problems to your reloading at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.