New Prairie Dog Shooter asking about 223Rem 55gr JHP TULAMMO for his FIRST Hunt

sw282

Anyone have any ''FIRSTHAND'' experience with this AMMO??
l will be taking a new shooter this June to share my ADDICTION... He's never visited Texas or crossed Mississippi River. l just want him to have a good time. lt will be a bolt gun ONLY trip. He isn't a hand loader but a pretty good shot.. l will pick up a 20rd box of these 55gr HPs to their accuracy.

Thanks--282

I sure they will be fine, but make sure you are shooting for accuracy in the gun they will ultimately used in. I hope he knows that this could be a very expensive trip.

He is waiting on some Fioche 55gr VMAX from Laxammo.. l think he will be pleased even tho l am a fan of 40gr VMAX... l am still curious about TulAmmo's 55gr JHP accuracy and pd ''BlowUp'' potential

;) I have found the Fiocchi to be pretty darn good in 204 and 223. FYI, the Dogtown and Nosler ammo can be found at good price point. Don't reload, sell the brass as once fired and recoup some of your money.

I'm more the V-Max/Blitzking kind of shooter. I'm sure the ammo you mentioned would do fine, expect less 'red mist' than with the more frangible bullets.

A first timer,eh? Then it's all about fun! Red Mist! In the range of the 223 he will have both. Yes, do some accuracy testing b4 going. But show him the fun!

I tested the fiochi and Australian outback budge varmint loads and the Australian grouped better for me.

Black hills has been most accurate followed closely by Hornady

100_0712_1.JPG

Hornady 53gr Amax. I'm using55gr Vmax now better BC. Granddaughter hit one Sat that would have made a great video
100_0699 - Copy.JPG

Almost 2 months since my original question... Still no answer and it will likely remain unanswered awhile.
With reference to Hornady's 53gr Vmax, they will NOT stabilize in my Rem 700 VLS in 22-250... Hornady Loading Manual says they won't.. 2''groups @100yds...:-( Got 500 of them too!
The 850rds of 223Rem 55gr Fiocche VMAX my hopeful new shooter purchased has DOUBLED in price since Feb.. Talk about ''inflation''

Last edited:
OK Deersniper… Factory Remington 22-250 barrels are 1 in 14''... The gun stabilizes 55grs fine.. Even shoots Hornady 60gr sp... Just NOT the 53gr VMAX.... I don't know why it won't shoot 53s, but shoots 55s and even 60s... Haven't asked Hornady why... Maybe one day l will...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.