New powder without load data.

Tgunz64

has anyone tried loading for a caliber when the load data wasn't out for it yet with a powder? I heard Ramshot LTR has been good for loads but no data from them for 26 Nosler. Got data for 28 & 30 Nosler. Just curious as where to start. Pretty new to reloading although I've owned the equipment for a while. Thanks!

I see the 30 starts at 84gr and the 28 at 87gr. Figured if I started at 84 or 85 I'd be ok

I'm new also and I would wait! Experimenting might not be safe.
I emailed Ramshot and the said they would re look at the 26 Nosler and in June or July they have a meeting for doing data for new loads. But he also said it'd be at least 6 months or more until the data comes out. And that's if they even do the 26.

I think you better just give it a try, what's the worst that can happen....lol

Look at the powder burn rate charts and find the most similar burn rate powder that is listed for your cartridge. Take that data and reduce by 10 to 15% and work up from there. If your powder has a faster burn rate than the load data powder reduce by 15%. If your powder is slower reduce by 10%.
Never guess it's a sure way to disaster. You are building a controlled bomb basically. Do it right it all goes down the barrel. Do it wrong and some will come back right in your face or worse. Wear those safety glasses when working up a max load. Some powder will give ample warning you are getting pressure. Some show no pressure and then jump real fast towards max. Safety first. Shooting blind would suck all the fun out of it.
Shep

I have been reloading for the 26 Nosler for three years and have tried just about every powder out there. I shoot a Browning Long Range Hunter 26" stainless with an 8 twist.
My gun loves the Berger 140 grain Elite Hunters and the best powder I have found for my loads is the Vihtavuori N570. I worked up a load from 76 grains to 79 where I started seeing the slight first pressure signs. Best accuracy load for me was 77.5 grains.... 1/2 moa at 200 yard zero. Coal with these bullets is 3.465 and I am 15 thous off the lands. These are hybrid bullets so seating depth is less of an issue. I hope you find this helpful ... I share your frustration with getting load data for the 26 Nosler... it is so slow coming other than from Nosler and even with them its scant at best.

Look at the powder burn rate charts and find the most similar burn rate powder that is listed for your cartridge. Take that data and reduce by 10 to 15% and work up from there. If your powder has a faster burn rate than the load data powder reduce by 15%. If your powder is slower reduce by 10%.
Never guess it's a sure way to disaster. You are building a controlled bomb basically. Do it right it all goes down the barrel. Do it wrong and some will come back right in your face or worse. Wear those safety glasses when working up a max load. Some powder will give ample warning you are getting pressure. Some show no pressure and then jump real fast towards max. Safety first. Shooting blind would suck all the fun out of it.
Shep
I've been looking at the powder charges in the Nosler book for this caliber.
I have been reloading for the 26 Nosler for three years and have tried just about every powder out there. I shoot a Browning Long Range Hunter 26" stainless with an 8 twist.
My gun loves the Berger 140 grain Elite Hunters and the best powder I have found for my loads is the Vihtavuori N570. I worked up a load from 76 grains to 79 where I started seeing the slight first pressure signs. Best accuracy load for me was 77.5 grains.... 1/2 moa at 200 yard zero. Coal with these bullets is 3.465 and I am 15 thous off the lands. These are hybrid bullets so seating depth is less of an issue. I hope you find this helpful ... I share your frustration with getting load data for the 26 Nosler... it is so slow coming other than from Nosler and even with them its scant at best.
thanks. I also have an x bolt. Mine is just the stalker model. I have some Barnes LRX 127gr and just bought some Berger 130 gr VLD Hunter bullets. Hoping I can get something good out of these without dumping a bunch more money into it. I haven't loaded any rounds yet for the Nosler just shot some factory 140gr accubonds. Like to load up about 20-25 or so of each bullet and see what works. Guess I'll just use US869 that I have for now.

Someone on here posted their load using RL33 with Barnes LRX 127's a year or 2 ago and I can't find it. Had it in my notes but they got deleted from my phone. Had a nice group at 100 yards and I wanted to use that as a starting point at least. They had the same rifle I do also. Not saying mine would shoot as well but a start anyway. Oh well I'll just use some US869 for now and see what happens. Who knows maybe I'll get lucky and my rifle will love one of these.

Look at the powder burn rate charts and find the most similar burn rate powder that is listed for your cartridge. Take that data and reduce by 10 to 15% and work up from there. If your powder has a faster burn rate than the load data powder reduce by 15%. If your powder is slower reduce by 10%.......
Shep

I think you are missing a step here. I don't think you can assume that charge volumes and weights are proportional to burn rate. They might be for some families of powders, but even that is too risky in my mind.

If I had to start someplace, I'd much rather use quickload. Failing that, I'd interpolate using cartridge volume / caliber / bullet weight instead. I'd also start with an estimated low charge and dial in 35 or 40 thou of jump.

Maybe I'd get my ex to pull the trigger too.

I'll use load data from the bullet/powder manufacturers. I won't bother with the LRT powder right now. I'll load some up with the US869. That's in the Nosler book and Hodgdons website for the 26 Nosler.

Any chance you know where a guy could get any 570? I have been looking for months and can't find it

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts