new powder for 308

hillbily

i started a thread in another forum about shortening the bbl on my rem 700p 308win from 24 to 19 inches and one reply stated i will have to change powders to retain my velocity (or at least lessen the loss) my question is what powder should i go with? currently i use IMR 4895 (load with held) with a 168 SMK, i'm getting appprox 2750 fps now and shoot a maximum range of 600 yards (not a huge distance but i'm comfortable taking game at that range with a 308 win exclusively coyotes) i reasoning for shortening the bbl is i find the long tube awkward to get in and out of my truck as well as weight savings. any tips would be helpful. thanks

i use 45 grains of varget under a 168g amax in my 20" rem 700 for 2650fps and it shoots a dream as well as being pretty good medicine on anything from rabbits to deer , it runs out of steam at 1000 yds and starts to yaw but at your range of 600 it will be the dogs dangly bits !!

i started a thread in another forum about shortening the bbl on my rem 700p 308win from 24 to 19 inches and one reply stated i will have to change powders to retain my velocity (or at least lessen the loss) my question is what powder should i go with? currently i use IMR 4895 (load with held) with a 168 SMK, i'm getting appprox 2750 fps now and shoot a maximum range of 600 yards (not a huge distance but i'm comfortable taking game at that range with a 308 win exclusively coyotes) i reasoning for shortening the bbl is i find the long tube awkward to get in and out of my truck as well as weight savings. any tips would be helpful. thanks
I beleive that you can still use IMR 4895 but you are NOT going to get the same velocity. If you look in the back of a Nosler manual un the handgun loads for your caliber, you will find info on loads that still use that powder. The shorter the barrel, the faster powders wll work better. It lists a load using win 748 but is loaded in a 14 inch barrel. Another option would be to shoot the 150 or 155 grain bullet, and then you will get back the sppeed that you lost, but the BC will be less. Try Berger 155VLD , that should do the trick,IMHO.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.