New powder for 30/30

Waynard

First of all I know this is not a long range caliber and that being said: Anybody use some of the new Alliant power pro varmint powder for the 170gr. bullet in the Marlin 30/30? :cool:

I like one shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot.
Elmer Keith

First of all I know this is not a long range caliber and that being said: Anybody use some of the new Alliant power pro varmint powder for the 170gr. bullet in the Marlin 30/30? :cool:

I like one shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot.
Elmer Keith
Most all places keep in stock Hodgdon LeverEvolution powder. It's the same powder that Hodgdon makes FOR Hornady to use in the LeverEvolution ammo for high-performance lever-guns.

Extremely impressed with the leverolution powder shot 2 in groups open site at 140 yards. With the 140 gr bullet s. Can't remember their name the ones with the soft pointed tips and all copper.

Most all places keep in stock Hodgdon LeverEvolution powder. It's the same powder that Hodgdon makes FOR Hornady to use in the LeverEvolution ammo for high-performance lever-guns.
I also like LVR for the 30-30 but one thing, the LVR on the shelf isn't the same for all Leverevolution ammo. The one of the shelf is the same as the one in the 30-30 ammo but for all the other cartridges the powders are custom blended.

I also like LVR for the 30-30 but one thing, the LVR on the shelf isn't the same for all Leverevolution ammo. The one of the shelf is the same as the one in the 30-30 ammo but for all the other cartridges the powders are custom blended.

That's good info because I was going to try some in my 45-70 guide gun but now I may re-think it. Thanks for the tip. P@:)

Yep, the .45-70 powder and pistol powders are different, my appologies for leaving that out. I was only thinking in terms of .30-30 sized calibers since the OP was discussing that.

The stuff you can buy in stores is great for .30-30, .308 Marlin, .35 Remington, and calibers of that size. I've even read some folks having good results in the .30-06.

That's good info because I was going to try some in my 45-70 guide gun but now I may re-think it. Thanks for the tip. P@:)

AA2495 is my hands-down favorite powder for the 45-70. Highest velocity and lowest pressure of any powder in that cartridge.

Leverrevolution does the same thing for the 30-30, boosts velocity significantly while staying within lever action pressures, but is pretty specialized.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.