New powder being "unsealed"?

SLIVER

Quick question, I ordered an 8lb jug of H1000 from Powder Valley. When it arrived it was unsealed, meaning the seal on the top of the bottle was stuck in the lid, not sealing the bottle. I called Powder Valley about this, and they told me Hodgdon has not been sealing their powder bottles for over a year now, and this is normal. Seems fishy to me. What has your experience been with Hodgdon powder and getting sealed bottles of powder? Should I call Hodgdon and see what they say? Is having the powder sealed a big deal?

Thanks a bunch guys.

))--SLIVER-->

i certainly would not make a big deal of it as long as it hit the scale at 8#. Don't want anyone dipping in my powder.

None of the 8# jugs in my powder storage are still sealed. As long as the lid is tight and the environment its stored in is dry and relatively temp. stable powder will last a long time.

The Hodgdon powders I've purchased recently aren't sealed. At least not like prescriptions drugs are sealed. I could open them up and replace the factory seal in the cap and screw the cap back on, and no one would ever know the difference - unless they had it videotaped.

Best you can do is buy from a reputable dealer that doesn't accept powder returns from any of their customers.

As long as the cap was on tightly, the jug is sealed. Also, today, with all the coatings that are put on powder, flash suppressors, deterrant coatings, temp stabilising goo and so on, it would have to be kept wet for a good while before any moisture penetrated the kernels. Get some graphite powder andtry to mix water into it, good luck!!

Cheers.
gun)

The last one I opened I heard the seal spin off with the cap. I'm not worried about it either.

Roll em and shoot em

Bob

I just used some brand new unsealed lil gun to load some S&W 500 rounds... Even called hodgdon before I used it, they said it was fine.... 15 rounds later and one hang fire and 2 squib rounds, the general consensus from other people that have seen the pictures and that I have talked to is that the powder picked up some humidity along its travels to me.

Here are the pictures of the last squib. Also with the rounds that fired they left behind alot of unburned brass colored powder

Attachments

• 0220161732.jpg
    0220161732.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 0220161729.jpg
    0220161729.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 0220161730.jpg
    0220161730.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 0220161754.jpg
    0220161754.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 108
the general consensus from other people that have seen the pictures and that I have talked to is that the powder picked up some humidity along its travels to me.

Who'd you buy the powder from? I doubt it left the factory in this condition...

Buffalo gun center. located in buffalo, ny. They were not very helpful to say the least. I will never spend another some there...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.