NEW POLL: Will your next rifle scope be MOA or MIL

NEW POLL: Will your next rifle scope be in MOA or in MIL?

• MOA

Votes: 433 70.0%
  • MIL

Votes: 186 30.0%

• Total voters
My most recent build was with a Bushnell Tactical Elite XRS scope with the G2 reticle and I've really liked using it, especially for windage holdovers. All of my long range gear and processes have converted to support MIL and future builds will follow suit. I don't yet have the familiarity and efficiency I did with MOA but it is coming around.

Retired military who learned MIL, so I'm sticking with MIL because I'm used to it. Thanks for asking.

For long range hunting applications I would respectfully disagree. Advantages in the tactical games and the military evironment, yes. I own, use, and fully understand the mathematics of both and find the MOA system at the very least the same, and for some aspects better for LRH. But....perhaps I'm missing something and would really like to hear the advantages for LRH.

Like I said, much quicker acquisitions and and mathematics that directly equate to one another, but everybody's going to have their favorites for their reasons, mills just makes mathematical sense.

For long range hunting applications I would respectfully disagree. Advantages in the tactical games and the military evironment, yes. I own, use, and fully understand the mathematics of both and find the MOA system at the very least the same, and for some aspects better for LRH. But....perhaps I'm missing something and would really like to hear the advantages for LRH.

I guess a more user-friendly explanation would be the example of when my father-in-law and I shoot long-range side-by-side at live animals, we would see something and he does his method,and of course I do mine and while he's fumbling around to get his dope I'm already set, dialed and hit the trigger before he can even get down on his gun.

I guess a more user-friendly explanation would be the example of when my father-in-law and I shoot long-range side-by-side at live animals, we would see something and he does his method,and of course I do mine and while he's fumbling around to get his dope I'm already set, dialed and hit the trigger before he can even get down on his gun.

Try again.....that pendulum can swing both ways...

I don't think it can get much easier then this:
A big buck appears. You range him at 800 yards which is a 15 MOA drop. Set turret or use 15 MOA reticle hold Your Kestral indicates a 6 mph wind from 9 o'clock. A quick mental formula;
6mph X 8 = 48. Divide by 20 and you get 2.5MOA for a wind dope of 2 MOA (after correcting for .5 MOA of spin drift).
If you wanted to check his antler spread lay your horizontal crosshairs on his antlers. If you got a 4 MOA read he's got 32" of spread(8x4).
If your range finder died and you needed a range on a giant mule deer with an 18" chest. Measure him with with your MOA reticle. If he is 3 MOA at the chest, divide 18 by 3 and you get 600 yards.
I'm not being facetious, but I would like to hear the easy mathematics for a MIL system the would allow you to do any one of these calculations in your head in the few seconds it takes using MOA.

I will be going MIL/MIL. I agree, I think it doesn't matter that much as long as your turrets match your reticle. I am new to long range and chose to work with MIL and will stick with it for consistency.

A big buck appears. You range him at 800 yards which is a 15 MOA drop. Set turret or use 15 MOA reticle hold Your Kestral indicates a 6 mph wind from 9 o'clock. A quick mental formula;
6mph X 8 = 48. Divide by 20 and you get 2.5MOA for a wind dope of 2 MOA (after correcting for .5 MOA of spin drift).
If you wanted to check his antler spread lay your horizontal crosshairs on his antlers. If you got a 4 MOA read he's got 32" of spread(8x4).
If your range finder died and you needed a range on a giant mule deer with an 18" chest. Measure him with with your MOA reticle. If he is 3 MOA at the chest, divide 18 by 3 and you get 600 yards.
I'm not being facetious, but I would like to hear the easy mathematics for a MIL system the would allow you to do any one of these calculations in your head in the few seconds it takes using MOA.
Odversely that system works well for you so let's just agree to disagree!
And straight shooting!

Don't want to get into the middle of a debate =-) But for me after harvesting 126 big game animals all over the US and Africa in almost 40 years, with some shots easily over 600 yards, I'll stay with MOA...I am not saying MOA is better, but for me the proof is in my results...Why should I change (especially considering I have SO many rifles and Leupold optics that it'd cost me a fortune) from something that has proven itself for me....To me this is the Ford or Chevy debate...Or up here in Alaska we'd call it the Snow mobile or Snow machine debate...Have a great weekend people and please take a moment to remember our military folks past, present and future. All gave some, some gave all...

Hard to say. I don't even shoot like you. If your dope is all great at say 60 degrees F, DA of 1300, and humidities at whatever, and your mv is whatever you use, giving you 15 Moa at 800y, then what do you do when you love up in altitude ( I used DA for simplicity) and your temp is 92f? You'll be using less than 15 Moa that's forsure. My point being it's all relative to the shooters. Some people like custom turrets, I think indexing a traverse by calculation is the way to go...for me, and there is nothing simple for that in either Moa or mils. Also there are an array of different formulas for both Moa and mil...like the bc method. It's all relative

MIL is like FFP scopes. All the advocates wax on at length about how great they are, but nobody buys them... LOL MOA!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.