New Pistol to load for

Are you guys saying carry factory ammo for court room reasons? That's my plan.

I actually plan to carry this more for a side arm while packing and hiking but also the other situations where 2 legged critters are more likely to be encountered.

Kris

Kris
Reliability ways for defense work. BTW, you can conceal a 5" 1911. Did it for years, still do some. Doesn't work well IWB for me, however. Belt behind iliac.

Reliability ways for defense work. BTW, you can conceal a 5" 1911. Did it for years, still do some. Doesn't work well IWB for me, however. Belt behind iliac.

I suppose that's possible but a 3" is definitely easier and lighter weight when back packing. Also gave me an excuse to buy a new gun.
I've carried a full size 10mm in the woods and just got tired of it being so big and in the way so I stopped taking it and went without. Hopefully this will give me something more enjoyable and I'll be more likely to carry it.

Kris

I suppose that's possible but a 3" is definitely easier and lighter weight when back packing. Also gave me an excuse to buy a new gun.
I've carried a full size 10mm in the woods and just got tired of it being so big and in the way so I stopped taking it and went without. Hopefully this will give me something more enjoyable and I'll be more likely to carry it.

Kris
Plus for the new gun. My 10mm is a stainless 1911 from CZDan Wesson. Have five CZDW, 45s, 10mm,9mm. Like them all and will carry any of them, just love 1911s. Double stack 45s are surely too bulky however. With the advent of high cap, compact 9mm with current ammo, I no longer feel bound to 45s all the time. You can carry two, have 30 rounds and not reload in much the same space as a mag.

I shoot a Kimber Warrior 1911. Semi wadcutters or round nose are my go to bullet and Winchester 231, Bullseye and Titegroup group the best for my Kimber. Shoot the 1911 a lot to stay familiar with it.

This cartridge has many, many powder choices to select from, which offers great versatility.
But I have not been able to beat the accuracy of Hornady's Critical Defense loads in my 3" 45acp.

Maybe I just need to try some more bullet/powder combinations, but I just don't think it's worth it for personal defense loads. I'll keep reloading for my target practice loads though.

For 45ACP I load what ever weight bullet I can get 200-230 with 5.0 gr of W231 for both weights. Brass is just years of mixed up range brass and I can't remember.....as in I dont think I ever have trimmed it. Runs like a top in my 45's including the 1911's. Lots of places to get coated HC bullets just make sure they are harder than 13 and preferably 15.

Kris
Amen for saving weight while back packing/hunting. I now carry a Kel Tec PMR30....wicked little round and super light pistol even when loaded with 30 rounds.

You say you bought this gun for concealed carry, so I assume you are wanting suggestions for a self-defense loads, is that correct?
Yes but I'm leaning towards factory ammo for self defense. The way I see it is self defense can be 2 different things. 2 legs or 4 and could possibly justify 2 different loads depending on the expected danger one would encounter.

I'm also looking for general pointers in loading for a 3" 45acp

I feel like I've gotten some great info on loading for this this gun. Some things that would have take a long time to figure out.

I'll be loading with my old RCBS rock chucker. I typically am a bolt action shooter. More into take a few precision shots and then go home. I've never really went out and shot 100 rounds so never had a need for a faster loading system.

I do love to tinker with things though and can see myself toying around with loads with this thing.

Kris

Got another question that just popped into my head.
What do you guys like for holsters?
I'm not sure a belt system on my side is gonna work with a backpack on.
I run an Alaskan Guide creations bino pack and would love to have my gun attached to or in it.
You guys got any ideas or products to make it all go together?

Also interested in a system for carrying on my person when not in the woods.

Kris

Got another question that just popped into my head.
What do you guys like for holsters?
I'm not sure a belt system on my side is gonna work with a backpack on.
I run an Alaskan Guide creations bino pack and would love to have my gun attached to or in it.
You guys got any ideas or products to make it all go together?

Also interested in a system for carrying on my person when not in the woods.

Kris
When I'm hunting I don't carry and just put it in my pack with a cheap butt nylon holster. It was the cheapest one on the rack and It was around 10 bucks. Any other time I throw it in my pocket. My theory is better to have a 22 you shoot well then leave the 50 at home or can't hit the side of a barn with it.

On person I don't wear a belt, and I'm not going to buy and size my pants for a particular pistol for IWB. I have for decades just put a pistol in my pants, shorts, or jacket pocket. Until recently no holster at all and then they came out with the cheap slip in style. Lots of different ones I like the nemesis the best. They never print with my 380's, and now with the sub compact 9's I needed to break up the outline.

Outside the pant I really like the Blackhawk Serpa....fast on and off the hip, super secure, and inexpensive. edit....I DONT CARE WHAT THE INTERNET WIZARDS SAY it is a super safe holster and I know dozens of people who have used them for years with not one issue. I do not carry my nice pistols in them as they can rub over time from the holster and my pants on the slide/frame. Lots of good leather full enclosed holsters just not for me for my carry pistols.

Last edited:
I use a reduced load with Tightgroup In my Kimber. I did have to put in a lighter spring.
If this is going to be your EDC weapon then I HIGHLY recommend that you only use factory new loaded ammo while carrying.
2nd that on Factory only for EDC! IF you had to use it a Tyrant Prosecutor may push the re-loaded ammo angle against you!

PH