New Personal Best

DZelenka

I shot a doe this afternoon at 419 yards. It is a new personal best for me on a deer. Even though I had promised myself I would wait for a buck, she taunted me by providing a beautiful broadside target. I wanted to break 400 yards this year so I took it. The sound of a solid hit is so gratifying. She made it about 50 yards into the brush, but left a blood trail Ray Charles could have followed.

I used a McMillan Signature .280 with a Leupold 3.5-10x CDS shooting a 140 Accubond over 54.3gr of IMR 4350 in WW cases. That set-up accounted for 8 this year, including 3 over 300 yards.

A couple more days til the end of the season. I am glad I got that out of my system. Bucky watch out. :D

Dan

Primer?

I shot a doe this afternoon at 419 yards. It is a new personal best for me on a deer. Even though I had promised myself I would wait for a buck, she taunted me by providing a beautiful broadside target. I wanted to break 400 yards this year so I took it. The sound of a solid hit is so gratifying. She made it about 50 yards into the brush, but left a blood trail Ray Charles could have followed.

I used a McMillan Signature .280 with a Leupold 3.5-10x CDS shooting a 140 Accubond over 54.3gr of IMR 4350 in WW cases. That set-up accounted for 8 this year, including 3 over 300 yards.

A couple more days til the end of the season. I am glad I got that out of my system. Bucky watch out. :D

Dan

I didn't skin the deer until after my first post. The post mortem revealed I was a fuzz lower than I thought I should have been. Chopped the top of the heart off. Bullet landed about 4" up from the brisket. Windage was perfect. I was 1 click up from my 400 yard zero, could have used 2. Temperature may have affected my velocity a touch or maybe the shot broke low. Doesn't really matter. The deer piled up in short order.

The bullet looked like it expanded at least somewhat. There was a decent hole in the rib cage going in and coming out. It did hit some ribs. The heart was whole except for the top which was mangled. Makes for a good blood trail.

I saw a good buck this evening just at dark but couldn't get on him with my rifle. It would have been interesting. The wind was running 18 - 22 mph from around 1:00 - 1:30. Range was 350ish. I was debuting my 7SAUM, but it was not to be. Maybe tomorrow. The wind is supposed to be in the single digets.

Dan

What kind of vel are you getting and accuracy with that load?

Do you use other loads too? Are you running them out of a long or short barrel?

Just curious

What kind of vel are you getting and accuracy with that load?

Do you use other loads too? Are you running them out of a long or short barrel?

Just curious

It is running 2900 fps (the powder is a 1994 lot and may be a but slow). accuracy is in the .6 to 1.0" for 3 shots at 200 yards. The barrel is a 24" with a Remington Mag Sporter contour. It is the barrel the rifle came with in 1988. It has a good many rounds on it.

I have shot a lot of different loads over the years, but rarely more than one at a time. As long as this load is working, I will likely stick with it.

Dan

It is running 2900 fps (the powder is a 1994 lot and may be a but slow). accuracy is in the .6 to 1.0" for 3 shots at 200 yards. The barrel is a 24" with a Remington Mag Sporter contour. It is the barrel the rifle came with in 1988. It has a good many rounds on it.

I have shot a lot of different loads over the years, but rarely more than one at a time. As long as this load is working, I will likely stick with it.

Dan

I was going to get some 4350 but wasn't sure. I have been seeing many loads using this powder and thought it would be worth a shot but most of the ones I seen were used in 22" barrels and it looked as if it is better suited for the 22's and not 24" so I wasn't sure. All I have right now is 4831sc.

What state are you hunting in?
-Jake

Louisiana. If you are in the highest level of the state deer management assistance program, the state gives you an extra 15 days of rifle season after everything else closes on January 31.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.