New optics for savage .308?

Lexthepilot

Hey im shooting a Model 12 BVSS in .308 and so far have only played with it at the local 100yd. range. at that close i have never needed more than a 3-9x40 to shoot a good grouping. Im planning on moving out to300 then after some practice 500 and maybe further if all goes well. Im just curious what kind of magnification i should be using at 500+ yards. and also which optics are a good choice for my purposes. i have been looking into a vortex viper PST 4-16X50 or even a 6-24X50 if its necessary. Im not afraid to spend money as long as i get quality in return. Within reason lol

I'm shooting a customized BVSS .308. Mine has been designed to shoot heavy bullets. I started off with a NightForce NSX 5.5-22x. I'm now putting on a Premier Heritage 5-25X. Depending on how far you want to shoot...you'll need to make sure you have enough internal adjustment. I've got a Farrell 20 m.o.a base on mine...which helps a lot...but the Premier has 103 m.o.a of adjustment...so, my bullets will run out of steam before I run out of elevation.

Good Luck...We have a lot of good choices in scopes these days. You just have to decide what your rifle is going to be used for...mostly and that will help you decide. My multi-purpose rifles seem to work best with 5-6x on the lower end and 20's on the top. I've got a couple of scopes that go up to 32X and one at 50X...but these tend to be dedicated bench guns or portable bench varmint hunting rigs ( Long range. )

Wayne

Thanks! mostly its going to be a range gun but i may use it for coyote hunting occasionally. but it will always be out past 100 yards in that case so maybe i will spend the extra bit and get a bit more magnification. What all have you done to your BVSS and what kind of results did you see? did you just have the throat reamed out to accept longer bullets or a rifling change as well?

Just about everything has been touched...except the bolt handle. Including time and true th action, Rifle Basix SAV-2 trigger, Heavy-straight cylinder custom barrel with a 1:10" twist...stock was opened up and action bedded etc.

Just got the barrel broken in this past fall. I'm shooting Berger 185 gr. VLD/Hunting bullets. My recipe, so far is pushing them @ 2750 fps and we're getting ragged hole results at 100 yards. PRoof will be in the pudding..once we get out past 4-500 yards.

Good luck...My BVSS has far surpassed my expectations...Hope yours does as well.

Wayne

The better glass you get the lower the power you can shoot from. I shoot to 1k on 10x with my 6500 tactical. My Leo at 1k I usually shoot at 14x

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.