New One Gun hunting solution advice needed.

Based on your criteria, you are going to have a difficult time finding a factory rifle that will meet all of your needs/wants. The Sako Finnlite in 300wm is a good shooting light rifle. But has a light contour barrel that will heat up pretty fast. And the recoil is pretty heavy. Probably weighs 6.5lbs without scope. With the scope that you want it would probably put it right around 8.5lbs.

+1! If I can keep my rifle set-up hunt ready at 10 lbs, I consider it light enough and myself lucky. :rolleyes:

I too do a lot of hiking when hunting and my average hunting rifles are around 10-12 lbs hunt ready.

With a $2K budget, I'd seriously look at custom rifles or consider re-barreling the Remington Mountain Rifle in 270 with carbon barrels in 1:8" twist ... but that's just me. :cool:

Cheers!

My 300 WM is built on a Borden action with a #4 Bartlein barrel (huge flutes) a Mcmillan BDL stock (no bottom metal and Edge fill). With a Vortex 4-16 PST, it weighs right at 8lbs. With a Painkiller brake, the recoil is nothing.

My 300 WM is built on a Borden action with a #4 Bartlein barrel (huge flutes) a Mcmillan BDL stock (no bottom metal and Edge fill). With a Vortex 4-16 PST, it weighs right at 8lbs. With a Painkiller brake, the recoil is nothing.

If you don't mind me asking (for OP's consideration), how much did that set you back?

Cheers!

If you don't mind me asking (for OP's consideration), how much did that set you back?

Cheers!
Well that's a tricky question. The rifle was originally a 7 RM built to shoot the Berger 180's. It worked but I never really could get along with it. So I rebarreled to 300 WM to shoot the Berger 215's. The original rifle was about $3000 but I think you could knock off some cost with Remington action. I only had to pay for the barrel when it was redone as I traded an action for the gunsmith work. Also keep in mind that the original price included a Seekins base, cerakote and a hard case for shipping. Still probably a little of the $2000 the OP is looking for. But I wanted a full blown custom and didn't cut corners for price.

Thanks for the info guys. Still wondering is anyone has any experience with the Ridgline. I've looked at it three or four times and like it. It would come in about 8.5 lbs with scope and sling.

I have the Summit in 26 Nosler and I really like it. If you like the ridgeline I would go for it, if that's what you can afford. If money wasn't an issue, I had McWhorter build me a 7 stw 26" barrel 8 twist, to shoot the 195 gr bergers and it came in at 9lbs 7oz with a S&B scope, and 3 rounds in the mag. It shoots 1 ragged hole groups.

You might look at a Savage 16/116 Bear Hunter in 300WM (7.75lb) or 300WSM (7.5lb). 23" fluted barrel with a muzzle brake, synthetic stock, Accutrigger, etc.

I have the Savage Bear Hunter in 300 wm with a NightForce NXS and for a Long Range rifle I wouldn't go any lighter and I am coming in around 10 pounds. It is braked, very accurate and is compact. I have swapped out the bolt handle and added a cheek rest that lines my eyes up to the center of the scope. I got about $2500 (I out a lot more money in optics than rifle) into this setup complete and I am very happy with it.

My suggestion:

Take your Rem Mountain rifle, true the action,re-barrel it with a Bartlein #3 fluted and chamber to 7 RM or .300 WM, add a muzzle brake, open bolt face to magnum .532" (or buy a PT&G bolt), buy a nice lightweight scope and be done. Sell the other 2 guns to cover cost easily.

I have a Rem 700 BDL LA w. 26" Bartlein #3 fluted chambered in 7RM throated for 180s, APA Micro Bastard brake, HS Precision stock (so you can shave some off there), Timney CE trigger, Seekins 20MOA aluminum Picatinny base, Badger rings, and S&B PMII 3-20x50 (which weighs 34oz, so you can save some weight there too), all in a package that weighs 9lbs. 8oz., shoots a 168 HVLD @ 3075fps, a 180 Berger @ 3000fps, or a 183 SMK @ 2980fps, all into sub-half MOA groups. I could easily be at 8.5lbs. with a lighter scope and/or stock. Without scope, I am into the rifle for about $2100 or so. Rifle/base/rings weigh 7lbs. 4oz.

183 SMK

180 Hybrid

168 HVLD

IMO building a "light" rifle and then putting a heavy NF on it does not match the gun.

That heavy a scope on that light a rifle will be unbalanced to say the least.

I would stick with the 280 or build a 7RM on the action and pick a scope better suited for that gun especially at the distances you said.

Lots of opinions, so I might as well give mine.

I would take your mountain rifle and have it re barreled with a 24" barrel and chamber it in 30-06. You have a set limit of 500 yards and an 06 will run to 500 very nicely for any animal on the North American Continent. The 06 will run the 180g bullets 2800 to 2900 fps. Not a magnum so much less powder, less recoil, less barrel heat, and muzzle brake becomes optional instead of needed.

Now you have your 30 cal and weight can easily be down where you want it. My .02

Steve

IMO building a "light" rifle and then putting a heavy NF on it does not match the gun.

That heavy a scope on that light a rifle will be unbalanced to say the least.

I would stick with the 280 or build a 7RM on the action and pick a scope better suited for that gun especially at the distances you said.

Gonna have to agree. Light rifle, light scope. Medium-heavy rifle, heavier scope.

My "light" build was a Borden, Brux #3 25", McMillan Edge, Leupold M4 4.5-14x50, chambered in 7wsm.

It weighed 8 lb, 15 oz. Always weighs a little more than you think....

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.