New one bullets cutting perfect sideways profiles at 25 yards

AZShooter

A friend brought a new custom in 26 Nosler to sight in today. It is not a Nosler rifle but a accurized Rem 700. To sight it in he used Nosler 129 LR accubond ammo. All four rounds fired at 25 yds had the bullets hitting parallel to the paper. I am talking perfect sideways profiles cut through the target!!!!

Sure you can see some pretty dramatic cuts in paper at 100 yds but 25 yds???? I took a pic on my cell and have no way to place it here.

Brass is fine, no extraction issues. Velocity with 28" barrel is 3425 fps

I talked to Nosler and they had never seen or heard of it. The tech did say that was about what they expect for velocity from that ammo.

One gunsmith friend suggested the barrel is a larger diameter. If so I wonder what size bore it would take to cause it? If too large then I would think the velocity would have fallen off.

Any ideas?

Was able to move the POI to the left 2" so no skipping off shooting range's deck. Owner hoped that after the first shot that the bullets would shoot normally. After four he quit.

Those bullets are pretty long and require a decent twist to shoot their best (like 1 in 8). Having said that, you would have to go out of your way to buy a 6.5mm barrel that would not stabilize that bullet. What twist is the barrel?

Asked my friend he said the gunsmith told him 1-12 Twist. Holy crap Berger says you need a 1 in 8 for anything heavier than their 120 gr.

Perhaps the answer has been found. It was too easy.

Would have thought the gunsmith would have known the correct twist.

It could be a poorly or crooked cut crown. If the crown is cut wrong the gasses pushing the bullets will exit at different times, kicking the tail of the bullets in an off-center direction, causing the bullets to fly funny.

As short of a distance as 25 meters that crown would have to be REALLY crooked, or something would have to be bad wrong with that barrel, or the bullets. Also, if the smith made a goof and used a 7mm blank, that might could cause similar issues.

I could be way off, and probably am, but without seeing the gun, I'm just throwing out random ideas. Just trying to help.

I'd be curious to know what is really going on, keep us updated.

if by adjustment you mean a new tube he should be fine. I can't understand why anyone would build a 26 nosler with that twist! Its too bad.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I got to thinking if there is such a thing as a 1 in 12 twist. Dan Lilja offers one. Looked at all sorts of cartridges and didn't find one that suggests using a 12 twist. Perhaps for lead?

I am sending the owner the ideas. Will suggest he use a cleaning rod to verify the twist. I see Kirby uses a 10 twist on his 6.5/338 RUM Allen magnum and Lazzeroni uses a 10 twist on his 6.5 Scramjet.

If it is a 12 twist it is a mistake and a new tube will fix it. Certain the fix will be free.

Ask him to shoot a 100 yard target with it before he sends it back. If the bullets are sideways at 25 yards, I'd like to know if they will hit the target at 100.

A smith that thinks 1:12 for 6.5 anything needs to be smacked in the head. I can't see spec'ing a build and not having a clue as to what to twist the barrel.

a 6.5/ .264 is a common caliber used in f-class shooting 500 to 1000 yards. various rounds 6.5creedmore, 65.lapua, 260 rem , 6.5-284 . they are usually 8 twist, or 8.5 . i use an 8.5 , i would more use an 8. if the smith order anything besides those two , he, or the customer made a mistake.

This mistake is the gunsmith's not the customer's. It is getting shipped back to the gunsmith.

If it were my rifle I would have more details. I would have measured the twist and have viewed it with the bore scope.

We will have the answer soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.