New NY gun laws!!! Everyone who is not a NYer, just a matter of time...

Bigeclipse

All,
Today our governor released information on more gun laws for our state. Some of the new laws include but are not limited to below:
1. Red flagging. Anyone can tell the police that someone they know could be a thread. Then the police have the right to confiscate that individuals guns. Then that individual has to go to court to get them back.
2. Mandatory usage of safes and locking guns up with households that have children 16 and younger. The guns must have a trigger lock on them and then further more locked inside of a safe. You can get a felony for this one!
3. "items" which make a gun shoot faster (i.e. bump stocks) will be illegal. They do not really define this one so I could see them saying a light trigger allows you to shoot faster so maybe installing new triggers into your gun is now illegal.
4. Wait time for NICS background check from 3 days now to up to 30 days. What this means is if you do not get an instantaneous "all clear" then the store will hold your gun for 30 days and then release it to you unless you are denied. This happens a lot to people who have common names such as Tom Smith...etc.
5. Limiting "assault weapon ammunition" purchases to twice the capacity of the weapon every 180 days. In NY we have a 10 round magazine limit so that would mean 20 rounds of ammo every 180 days. Further more, what is "assault weapon ammunition"?!?

The list continues... Many of the laws will likely go into place since the democrats won NY. Many of you can say..."it sounds like it's time for you to move" but give it time and you will see this going to other states. Just my two cents.

Yup.....Washington State is going this way, but the worst part is here the people are voting much of the new laws in. We do have some new stuff in the works that I heard will "make Washington's gun laws the strictest in the nation". People move away from a area that they don't like, but bring some of their ideas with them......enough people move and get jobs in positions of power (ie. local government) and change things to what they know.....Over time their new area resembles the place they left and they wonder why.....:rolleyes:. I met a man this summer that was retiring and moving back "home" to Wyoming.......He has lived in California since college, I can only guess where his views have changed from his roots! In our local area, we have a lot of people who have moved here California, and I believe they have lived under the laws there so long, that they don't have any problem voting in the same laws here....just because they are used to it, and can no longer see the effect...... End rant! From what I see visitng people from around the USA, no matter where you move it's only going to move you back a few years, but from what I see it's coming everywhere! They are upset about things that are changing that Washington changed 10 years ago........

Yup.....Washington State is going this way, but the worst part is here the people are voting much of the new laws in. We do have some new stuff in the works that I heard will "make Washington's gun laws the strictest in the nation". People move away from a area that they don't like, but bring some of their ideas with them......enough people move and get jobs in positions of power (ie. local government) and change things to what they know.....Over time their new area resembles the place they left and they wonder why.....:rolleyes:. I met a man this summer that was retiring and moving back "home" to Wyoming.......He has lived in California since college, I can only guess where his views have changed from his roots! In our local area, we have a lot of people who have moved here California, and I believe they have lived under the laws there so long, that they don't have any problem voting in the same laws here....just because they are used to it, and can no longer see the effect...... End rant! From what I see visitng people from around the USA, no matter where you move it's only going to move you back a few years, but from what I see it's coming everywhere! They are upset about things that are changing that Washington changed 10 years ago........

I have heard that they are trying to ration ammunition purchases to just 20 rounds a month? Any truth to that?

That's what the rumor is.....I saw Oregon's trying for that, and someone said Washington is as well. I haven't seen the actual bill yet, just heard talk about it....Every time a new one comes, I think theres NO WAY that it will pass.....and then it does!:(

It certainly did not help that NOBODY spoke up about a mentally retarded boy with access to guns, that blacked out his windows and didn't communicate with his folks except by way of text. Instead of new laws, it would've been great if somebody showed a real responsibility to say that this situation is completely wrong. Adam Lonza is who I'm talking about. I do not support the idea that the mentally ill should have easy access to guns and I'm not afraid to tell anyone so. I could go on about the handslap that the Texas church shooter got, after fracturing a toddlers skull and yet could easily buy a gun. Those that demonize "red flag laws," in this case, are completely wrong, IMO. A show of responsibility, without being encumbered by any special interest group, goes a long way.

That's what the rumor is.....I saw Oregon's trying for that, and someone said Washington is as well. I haven't seen the actual bill yet, just heard talk about it....Every time a new one comes, I think theres NO WAY that it will pass.....and then it does!:(

This is all the more reason to get as many of us as we can to the polls next election.

It certainly did not help that NOBODY spoke up about a mentally retarded boy with access to guns, that blacked out his windows and didn't communicate with his folks except by way of text. Instead of new laws, it would've been great if somebody showed a real responsibility to say that this situation is completely wrong. Adam Lonza is who I'm talking about. I do not support the idea that the mentally ill should have easy access to guns and I'm not afraid to tell anyone so. I could go on about the handslap that the Texas church shooter got, after fracturing a toddlers skull and yet could easily buy a gun. Those that demonize "red flag laws," in this case, are completely wrong, IMO. A show of responsibility, without being encumbered by any special interest group, goes a long way.

Issue with red flags laws is it doesn't take any proof. You just broke up with your girlfriend? Well she went to the police and said you threatened to kill her. Boom, guns taken away. The Air Force bro was in the system. Our government failed us on that one. Bad parenting on Adam Lanza. How about the parkland shooter? Police failed there. Then they had the balls to parade on national television like they were hero's. The **** sheriff, was pandering to his liberal masses to get re-elected.

Snitching to the police because someone ****es you off is exactly where red flags laws will take us. Look at the college kids who hurt a chicks feelings now they are labeled rapists and they are kicked out of college with no due process. That's what happens when an accuser has all the power. I will never believer the accuser based on accusations alone. Our country was not founded on witch hunts.

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree with you within the context of the two examples that you gave. The problem is that the anti gun side will take a mile if you give them .001 of an inch. They will make the "red flag" criteria so broad that way too many will fall into that category.

We now have a red flag law on mental health......of course the law was passed without details of how and when it will be inforced, so we can assume it will be wide spread. My fear is that this will prevent people from getting help for depression/anxiety and other small things, which will grow into bigger things. I think the mental health system in our country is very messed up. I know people that belong in a mental hospital who are allowed to sign themselves out because it's their right. It's a dangerous trap to say take their rights away, but the left has no problems taking our rights. It seems that most of the issues have had clear warnings that were ignored, maybe because of the persons "rights"
Also in Washington, you can now be charged if YOUR guns are stolen......so its pretty clear common since is sliding further away.

"Snitching to the police because someone ----es you off is exactly where red flags laws will take us."

All of the hypotheticals in the world and the fear of incrementalism is why there is no action or responsibility. Believe me, as a political independent, I see flaws of both failed parties and always find myself in the middle of two extremes. Nobody has any answers when a "law abiding gun owner" blows away his wife or girlfriend (look at all stats when it comes to male on female violence) or carries out a mass murder. I think everyone wants gun laws enforced, but when it comes to actually putting the hammer down, it usually comes down soft. The nanny state and pacs own more people than you think and it's not always those that are called liberals.

Of course its not only liberals. Liberals are just the ones with the loudest war cries. Trump sold us out with the bump stocks. Im not arguing about the practicality of bump stocks, but just changing the wording on an already passed law to incorporate them? No thanks. Conservatives are just pandering to the masses just like libs. Both sides are stupid, and both sides are strong enough to where we are stuck voting for the lesser of two evils. More laws won't do anything. Individual accountability will. And you can't make individuals more accountable with more laws.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Snitching to the police because someone ----es you off is exactly where red flags laws will take us."

All of the hypotheticals in the world and the fear of incrementalism is why there is no action or responsibility. Believe me, as a political independent, I see flaws of both failed parties and always find myself in the middle of two extremes. Nobody has any answers when a "law abiding gun owner" blows away his wife or girlfriend (look at all stats when it comes to male on female violence) or carries out a mass murder. I think everyone wants gun laws enforced, but when it comes to actually putting the hammer down, it usually comes down soft. The nanny state and pacs own more people than you think and it's not always those that are called liberals.
Yep, and that is the most dangerous part of it. Also, how many scorned, cheated on, or broken up/diverced wives or girlfriends will use it for revenge on the man, and then the dude gets shot by the cops because he was innocent, and she just wanted to be a (b)witch...

Not to mention the one case where the kids where planning on STEALING and using a relative's guns in an attack, and the relative was completely clueless to their plans, yet, the cops still came and took his guns away from him and if he was guilty for someone else's insanity... Now THAT is Big Brother at it's finest. :mad:

Issue with red flags laws is it doesn't take any proof. You just broke up with your girlfriend? Well she went to the police and said you threatened to kill her. Boom, guns taken away. The Air Force bro was in the system. Our government failed us on that one. Bad parenting on Adam Lanza. How about the parkland shooter? Police failed there. Then they had the balls to parade on national television like they were hero's. The ---- sheriff, was pandering to his liberal masses to get re-elected.

Snitching to the police because someone ----es you off is exactly where red flags laws will take us. Look at the college kids who hurt a chicks feelings now they are labeled rapists and they are kicked out of college with no due process. That's what happens when an accuser has all the power. I will never believer the accuser based on accusations alone. Our country was not founded on witch hunts.
You're close, but the real issue is taking away property without due process. Should scare the soul out of every citizen in this country, gun owner or not. Guess the Bill of Rights is now Toilet paper in this country along with the Constitution. Consent of the Governed??? Guess so, no one is doing anything about it. Sue their asses off when they try it. Raise money and appeal it all the way to the Supreme Court. Never roll over

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.