New muzzy on the wall!

FrontierGander

Back in November I bought a Kit gun for a winter project and 7 days short of 2 months ( I took my time), it is finished!

Its a Traditions St.Louis Hawken .50cal with 1:48 twist.

Rifle came with plastic sights, so I cut a dovetail and installed a tradition semi buckhorn sight and tapped in a german silver front sight. Why they chose to use plastic screw on sights was beyond me, but I did get good news that for 2017, they will come with STEEL sights this year.

I browned the barrel and lock, polished the lock internals, bedded tang, trigger plate and a couple sections in the barrel channel.

I wanted a really nice dark stock, so i used birchwood casey walnut and rusty walnut to get the color I wanted. Topped with Truoil applied very thinly. I didn't want a plastic shiny look, so it went on super thin and the stock actually feels like a hand rubbed linseed oil finish which is great for my liking.

Next step is to order a hickory ramrod to replace the plastic ramrod, but the factory rod will do fine for now. Just takes away from the looks a bit.
img_8011.jpg

img_8110.jpg

img_8111.jpg

img_8426.jpg

100% happy with the outcome! Jan 10th it should be going on its first hog hunt, so hopefully we'll get lucky and have some "trophy" pictures.

Brass was blacked out with Birchwood casey brass black.
img_8519.jpg

Very very nice work. How does it shoot and what are you shooting in it?
excellent! It seems to prefer a clean bore to shoot DEAD on. After the first shot, the second - 3-4th shot drift a little high and to the right, but still well within the kill zone.

Im shooting 80gr 2fg Olde Eynsford black powder, .020" patch and .490" round ball.

Im taking it hog hunting on the 10th, so I am really pumped up. Going to run a little break in patch lube later today and see if that will tame the fouled bore group movement. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.