It means that the geometry of new magnum cartridges let me burn powder more efficiently in less time. So I don't leave almost any unburnt after 20 inches. The older belted magnums are inherently less efficient. Right now I am pushing 210gr ABLRs 2850 fps something that is not possible out of magnums developed in the middle of the last century.
Easy now, a lot of the guys on here were developed in the middle of the last century as well. 😂
I'm a few years older than you and I also am in decent shape. But this is where I'd apply the two gun rule. Same cartridge, barrel length etc just build a lighter gun for hunting. That's just me though.

@ Deer-Sniper, I hunted in the Nepal Himalayas at 5,000 metres to take this Blue Sheep with a heavy rig like yours. My wife and I trekked for 6 days to reach the hunting area, no chopper,car nor horse. Then hunted a week, and trekked back.
I do not think the guys that comment your approach have that experience.
JanP,
Please tell us more about your experience? What was your pack weight like with15+ days of food and that heavy rifle? Did you pack the Ram and meat on the way out? Sounds like a real grind!!!
😃

What was the wait time on your can? Mine has been in jail since mid Jan...

Did you see any shift in velocity/POI with it?

May have to do a short, short mag....
What was the wait time on your can? Mine has been in jail since mid Jan...

Did you see any shift in velocity/POI with it?

May have to do a short, short mag....
Mine's still in jail, since last October!

@ Deer-Sniper, I hunted in the Nepal Himalayas at 5,000 metres to take this Blue Sheep with a heavy rig like yours. My wife and I trekked for 6 days to reach the hunting area, no chopper,car nor horse. Then hunted a week, and trekked back.
I do not think the guys that comment your approach have that experience.
Quite an achievement, I don't want to diminish it, but I bet that guy in the picture and several of his buddies carried most of your stuff.

I also heard Mountain Rifle, and I'm thinking a rifle like my Weatherby Ultralight with a thin 24 inch Krieger barrel , weighing in at 5 3/4 pounds. As delivered from the factory . Mine is in .270 Win, as I am really Old School, but if you're a Younger ,Modern shooter, you may want / need something that ends with the letters PRC. That's fine too. In keeping with the" Light Mountain Rifle " theme , Mine usually wears a Leupold VX 3 2.5X to 8 X scope , which is about 12 ounces. Some times I change to a VX3 4.5 to 14 X . Have fun and shoot often.