So that means they only need a 20" barrel? What does a belt have to do with how much powder is burned? A 45-70 has pretty straight walls, it's been around for 148 years...
It means that the geometry of new magnum cartridges let me burn powder more efficiently in less time. So I don't leave almost any unburnt after 20 inches. The older belted magnums are inherently less efficient. Right now I am pushing 210gr ABLRs 2850 fps something that is not possible out of magnums developed in the middle of the last century.

It means that the geometry of new magnum cartridges let me burn powder more efficiently in less time. So I don't leave almost any unburnt after 20 inches. The older belted magnums are inherently less efficient. Right now I am pushing 210gr ABLRs 2850 fps something that is not possible out of magnums developed in the middle of the last century.

Ok...you do you boo boo

You built, a Mountain Range to Mountain Range, Rifle with, a Short Barrel !
Sub 8 Pounds,.. IS,. a "Mountain Rifle", in my neck of, the Woods
Start looking for some Wheels and,.. a Mule to, Haul it !
Who says 8lbs is a mountain rifle? If you carry to the mountains it's a mountain rifle. We used to carry field artillery to the mountains for Pete's sake. So tired of the old school thought of a tiny light weight rifle is the only way to go. Makes zero sense and makes even less sense if it's regulated by a state. If you can carry it without crying like a little b1tch then ruck up and move out. 16lbs is great for any rifle anywhere. It's called getting in shape and being prepared

Just got the suppressor which finishes out my new mountain build.
American Rifle Company Mausingfield in 300PRC with a 20in proof barrel (because modern magnums don't need to be really long), a triggertech special, in a ARC Xylo chassis, and a SiCo Omega 36M so I don't disturb the survivors. Topped off with a Bushnell DMR2 while I wait on my ZCO to come in.
Overall she comes in at just about 16 pounds which is kinda heavy I guess but I'll just have to use my big boy muscles. View attachment 289898
Only my opinion but that's not a mountain rifle, but it looks like good shootin' rifle. Show up with that in a sheep camp and you delay your hunt by a day while the guide laughs his *** off.

Good looking "Range" rifle ! A mountain rifle by accepted definition is something lighter than typical for easy packing - meaning typically 4 to 8 lbs. 9-11 is pushing it. 16 lb is a joke and we share your humor. :)

Nice rifle

if I owned that rifle, and someone told me to classify it I would probably call it a *canyon rifle*. I would call something like a Barrett fieldcraft a mountain rifle. Being this is a long range hunting forum there are plenty of big boomers here so many share your love for this heavier but stable platform I expect.

welcome to the forum, your immediate need to trash older and beloved cartridges should make for an... interesting... reception.

I actually like "short" barreled magnums, and have one, but I'm not fooling myself that I'm not giving up velocity still. Is it less per inch than my older cartridges? Not sure, being a scientist by trade there is zero way I could say that without burning many barrels in controlled experiments, my mind says I doubt it. I think the size of the bang rules all.

Looks like a very fun to shoot rifle. I can imagine on day 6 or 7 after 10 miles a day and alot of elevation, I'd be rethinking my strategy, personally.
The "big boy" type comments are pretty funny...
How about this one - only manly men need a 16lb rifle with a brake to shoot a 30 cal magnum... ??? Lol!

@ Deer-Sniper, I hunted in the Nepal Himalayas at 5,000 metres to take this Blue Sheep with a heavy rig like yours. My wife and I trekked for 6 days to reach the hunting area, no chopper,car nor horse. Then hunted a week, and trekked back.
I do not think the guys that comment your approach have that experience.

I'm not sure how it got to 16lb with a 20" barrel...
I've got a Rem700LR with 26" heavy barrel, and 6-24x50 scope that's only 12.5lb.

My heavy 'mtn' rifle is a 27", heavy barreled 25-06, which, with bipod, and Nightforce scope, weighs 17#. One weekend hauling that around after coyotes, on snowshoes, and I went home to build a real carry rig. That one only weighs 13#. So then I built a 7# 204!!